Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to play that again!!!..........but cant

Options
  • 05-02-2004 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

Ever want to play that game again but you cant because you dont have that console or your version of Xp or OSX doesnt support it anymore?what is it?!

Console > Snes > Prince of persia, the best version because Nintendo gave 10 new levels that tested you to the limit! truly Classic!

PC > win 95 , 98, ME , Panzer General Brillant Hex game where you could be the Nazis and invade everywhere, including the USA huge amount of units , brillant!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

solutions;

console problems: use an emulator

pc os problems: dual or multi boot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Senor_Fudge

ya i used to love mega lo mania on the mega drive
    and dark omen which wont run on my OS :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by magick
    Ever want to play that game again but you cant because you dont have that console or your version of Xp or OSX doesnt support it anymore?what is it?!

Console > Snes > Prince of persia, the best version because Nintendo gave 10 new levels that tested you to the limit! truly Classic!

PC > win 95 , 98, ME , Panzer General Brillant Hex game where you could be the Nazis and invade everywhere, including the USA huge amount of units , brillant!

if its xp, then use compatibility mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

if its xp, then use compatibility mode.

yup i know, i use it,its a good idea in windows xp, some games wont work on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I have yet to see compatability mode actually work, and Ive tried it many, many times.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

Originally posted by magick
    yup i know, i use it,its a good idea in windows xp, some games wont work on it though.

I found that too. Why is that? Quake II used to work perfectly on Win98 for me, but it looks crap on XP. I changed the compatibility and screen resolution and it still looks ****e:mad: . Why is that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Originally posted by Pugsley
    I have yet to see compatability mode actually work, and Ive tried it many, many times.....

3 words. Hogs Of War

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

Donkey Kong on the Game & Watch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

WWF in your house dont work on compatibility mode.

and i want a dreamcast to play the streetfighter 2, 3 series :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

redalert/c&c win95 work in compatability mode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

There is not that many that i cant play now.

Raptor is one of them
    The orginal CnC Tiberian dawn
    Worms and Worms re-inforcements - (the best worms games they just got crap when they went all cartooney looking)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

Originally posted by UnrealQueen
    I found that too. Why is that? Quake II used to work perfectly on Win98 for me, but it looks crap on XP. I changed the compatibility and screen resolution and it still looks ****e:mad: . Why is that??

/nerd (ish)

I believe the problem is (tho i could be wrong) is the fact that Xp and 2k only have an MSDOS shell not true MSODS most of the older games (like daggerfall and crusade: no remorse) relied on DOS, for those of you that have no idea what MSDOS is it was an old operating system (older than windows itself) that windows95 and 98 ran from, think of it like DOS is the foundations for a house and windows 95 and 98 is the house itself, microsoft felt for a number of reasons (one of which was that these systems werent secure enough) so they made windows2000 and to xp build on newer technology which didnt include the real deal (DOS) but a fake "shell" a windows verson of DOS if you will. this mean all the old games dont work very well on windows2000 (espically xp)

/nerd (ish)

IMHO xp compatiable mode isnt worth the time of day. I have over 30 old games that required DOS to work and the only one ive ever gotten to work is daggerfall.
    im not sure why Quake II isnt working for you unreal Queen i havent played in on XP (im nore of a UT fan myself :D ) before so im not sure how it works. it *should* be ok to run i would have though but meh who knows.

thats my 26.5505 Yen's (.2 cent) worth anyway,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Trick Or Treat for the Amiga. Amazing shareware fps 2 player kill each other maze hunt.... :) <ah the memories>

Gravity Force 2 <more Amiga memories>

Zeewolf <more Amiga...>

Roadkill <more Amiga...>

Strife. I only ever had a demo but I'd love to have had a chance to play the full game... ah well...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

flimbo's quest and dizzy on the c64 and i wanna play streetfighter 2 turb on the snes the one where you can do the cheat at the start and ramp the speed up to 10 stars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

OMG the dizzy games on the c64 were class!!

speaking of which my bro says he has an emulator for the PC that you can play all the dizzy games im trying to find out what site he got it from.

also the wing commander games were cool but you can play those anymore either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

Mario 3 on the NES, and also Black Manta:D I used to luv them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

I installed warzone 2100 again about 2 days ago and it randomly crashes on xp :( i have no idea why. It goes back to the desktop with no trace of the game ever running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

For old games try the DOSBOX emulator I am using it to play Xcom from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Perhaps ye should move this to the emulation forum? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

VMWare tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Ultima Underworld for the PC. I do so miss those crazy headless monsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe

wizball on the c64.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

I got a double pack of Day of the Tentacle and Sam n Max Hit the Road a while ago oh how I missed them but apparently my stupid computer is too fast for it :confused:

God dammit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

ScummVM

http://www.scummvm.org

:)

Works for most of LucasArts games :D

Advertisement