Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A+ Cert

• 05-02-2004 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭

Does anyone here know if it is worth doing the Microsoft a+ certificate??????

If so where is the best place to do it?

if not what other cert should i do?

I don't want to do another cao coarse, so anything other than those!!!!

Please help!! need more qualifications to a become good pc technician!!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I did the CompTIA A+, I'm not sure how a specifically Microsoft labeled one would differ... wether it's an entirely different course or just a branding issue.
    Confusing since the CompTIA A+ is supposedly vendor-independant.
    The CompTIA A+ is fairly good alright... it covers a lot of ground in hardware & software... I reckon everyone will come out of the course knowing a lot of things they didn't know before, whatever their level.
    I'd reccomend it to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

Comptia are the group that certify the A+. You will find other relevant informaiton on there site.

If you have some knowledge of pc's id recommend just getting a book and studying on your own time. Did my A+ awhile back through Fas

There are some good courses if your just starting. Thats if you can get into one as there normaly is a waiting list. The one i did was A+, Net+ and Mcp server2000.

But as i said i would recommend going the self study way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

lol.. just go in there before me SantaHoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Also, you should go and do compTIA's Network+. Companies will always look for network skill over maintanence (though obviously you need your A+ aswell).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Energizer

Thanx for all the help! lads

Any more info would greatly appreciated!!!!

found out some info about comptia A+ coarse in dublin.
    €999 for a 6 week intensive coarse!

is this good or bad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

bad..

go in and get a mike myers book on the A+ , dl some study notes and sample questions.

save yourself some money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Gick no, a grand for 6 weeks?! :/
    Even if it is 'intensive' it's you that's going to have to put the work into it, regardless of how good their tutors are.
    The A+ covers a lot of objectives, there's a lot of cramming... I agree with ciscokid, get a good A+ book, I used a Sybex publication, which was monsterously thick and took the time to explain things in detail until you understand it.
    I reckon if you're at a stage where you think you could sit the exam this minute, then paying for 6 weeks is a waste... or if you're at the other end of the scale - 6 weeks may not be enough to absorb that much information, there's a hell of a lot of it (and we're only human ;)).
    I'd say have a look at the book and get an idea of where you're at, before you shell out the cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

I have an A+ and Net+ ; in this day and age its about as useful as a McDonalds degree in human resources :dunno:

Id suggest it as a START, but if you actually want an IT job youll need a lot more than just those :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Do your A+ and Networks+ in FAS, Loughlinstown. You may have to wait a few months but you'll get paid every week and there's a fetac 3 months in company training programme aswell at the end of the two courses.

Advertisement