Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP Home Problem

Options
  • 05-02-2004 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭

I am having a problem with the file called cdr4_xp.sys. Its keeps blue screening my computer even when i boot in safe mood.It gives me about 3 minutes before it shuts down.

In order to get around the problem i dual booted a windows xp pro evaulation copy. I tried looking for this file in windows xp pro but its not there. I tired downloading a new copy of the file off the net and that didnt work.

so then i tried deleted the file but all that did was boot xp home into safe mode with no cd drives working.

I have tried microsoft support and thye dont have an answer and i even tried google but all i get it its not a microsoft file but a a nero file. i have a full verison of nero 5 but only i trial verison 6 i wonder is this file updated in verison 6.

Any ideas lads. A firmware upgrade of my dvd drive caused the problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Originally posted by irishgeo
    I am having a problem with the file called cdr4_xp.sys. Its keeps blue screening my computer even when i boot in safe mood.It gives me about 3 minutes before it shuts down.

In order to get around the problem i dual booted a windows xp pro evaulation copy. I tried looking for this file in windows xp pro but its not there. I tired downloading a new copy of the file off the net and that didnt work.

so then i tried deleted the file but all that did was boot xp home into safe mode with no cd drives working.

I have tried microsoft support and thye dont have an answer and i even tried google but all i get it its not a microsoft file but a a nero file. i have a full verison of nero 5 but only i trial verison 6 i wonder is this file updated in verison 6.

Any ideas lads. A firmware upgrade of my dvd drive caused the problem.

Roll back the firware upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

remove nero.
    see if it works then.
    re-install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

*cough*Reinstall XP*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it should be located in 'C:\windows\system32\drivers\' try moving it to the desktop and re-installing nero to see if that does the trick. it's a common file used by many cd burning programs.

done some more searching and it would appear it's something to do with packet writing to cd-dvd discs (you know, direct cd, drag to disk, and the nero equivalent) if you have something running that allows you to save to cd's/dvd's through file manager then disable it, it might fix the problem without too much messing around.

if that isn't it then the generic microsoft version of the file is located at driverguide.com. might be worth looking theough THIS list to see if there's one specifically for your drive to replace the old one with if you need to.

btw, did you get the dvd-r i sent you ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Thanks for all the soluntions guys all i try them all out.

firstly i cant reinstall windows xp as i didnt get a Windows XP disc with my computer just a crappy system restore disc.

I will try these soluntions as i am away at college and the computers at home. Dont really want to have to reninstall as i have lots of programs that dont have "installation discs" for thy just magically appeared on my computer after i left it conneted to the net all night.

Tried the generic microsoft one and that bought the same problem. i try to reinstall nero as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Got it fixed but dont asked how i done it a bit of this and that.

Advertisement