Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thursday the 5th in the Fitz?

Options
  • 05-02-2004 2:52pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone going along tonight? (It *is* the cheap tournie night right?)

I'll be busy until about 8:30 but will be free from then to meet up and go play.

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Tis the usual free entry tonight - I shall be there. Will be in fireworks with lafortezza for a bit of pool/grub beforehand if anybody is about.

Hoping to get a seat before the last week this month. Also hoping not to make the biggest n00b mistake of the night again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Gonna be there also. Will be in the pub round the corner first for a couple of frosty ones.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Dakeyras

i shall be there later on about 9 or so, so see one and all there.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I'll be there myself (just about to head out the door).
    Make sure to say hello and do the secret handshake, I'll be wearing a goatee and a blue check shirt.
    ;)

And, of course, I'll be playing badly.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Jesus was that a rollercoaster night for me!

No buy ins, survived to the freeze out, then hit everything I went for an ended up 13,000 in chips.
    Then they moved me from my nice comfy table and my brain got left behind I think. 20 mins later at most I was on my way out the door. Must learn to protect a chip lead :)

Good fun for 10 quid though!

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by DeVore
    20 mins later at most I was on my way out the door. DeV.
    That little old lady was talking trash about you after you left :p I think she took offence when you asked her why she called you with a pair of queens.

I was reasonably happy and slightly pissed with my night, I had a couple of buy-ins and then won a nice hand before the freezeout, so had about 5000 going in.
    Played a bit tight, won a hand or two knocking out a couple of people. Everyone was brought together for the final table and I'd say there were 3 people with small stacks, me included.
    I played very tight, got the blinds once or twice, I had about 4000chips and the blinds were 1000-2000, so after the button passed I had about 4 or 5 hands to go all in on.
    With the button just to my left everyone folded to me so I went all in on A9o, big blind folded, and musician in the small blind called.
    He flipped showing AQs (I think), flop came down no help to me , musician got a flush on the river but would have won with the Q high anyway.

5 tickets, finished 7th, it hurts just a little :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah she really seemed to be a queen-bitch hahaha... she was giving me dagger looks when I arrived anyway because I think she was the next biggest stack and I had about three times hers at that time. I dont think she liked me and she had a face like bulldog licking p1ss off a nettle anyway.

I've been kicking myself for playing so loose. I should have cruised and only played the certainties... stupid me but it was time to go home anyway so live and learn.

I could easily have cruised to the last table, the blinds were nothing to me. I went to sleep thinking what a fool I'd been and woke up thinking the same! Grrrrrrrrr
    I'd played so well at the other table though, I was nailing people to trees but soon as I was moved to the big table it went from a 4-5 player game to 9 players I had no idea about.... it sucks being moved.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I am a bit annoyed myself with how I went out last night. I was on the dig blind (I think) with pocket 10s. Flop came witha 10 Qc 4c (or somethin close). Not much action on it so I reckoned I was well ahead. Put in a few quid. Not too much cos I wanted callers , and there was a few I think (it's a bit fuzzy), the guy to my right goes all in. I think he has nothing so I call him. He has a good bit more than me so I am all in but I'm feeling pretty good about that. It looks like about 20grand in the pot. When I call him he say s**t I didn't think you would I need a miracle. He has 8 &9 clubs or something. He has a flush draw but that is it. Turn card is a heart that helps no one. River is a f**king club. Not even a bus fare home for me. I think that all in all I played pretty well last night, was just a bit unluck on the river.

MrP

What I'm annoyed about is that I could have gotten to the last table by leaving my stack there and going for a couple of pints... wtf was I thinking?!
    2 hours of great play that I was really happy with and 20 minutes of madness throwing money out like Santa hahaha... I thoroughly enjoyed it but damn I'm so peeved about playing like a crazy-person at the end hahah..

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

2 hours of great play that I was really happy with and 20 minutes of madness
    DeV.
    When you joined our table you had a big stack. But I don't think you realised how tight our table was playing. People were calling the blinds with hands that they would have raised big with pre-freezeout. KQs was a decent hand if you got 2 callers, but it was likely that someone had AQ or JJ or similar *just checking the blinds*. It was quite unusual compared to the way the Fitz normally is but it was interesting.
    So when you were playing a bit crazy people backed off and whenever they called you they usually had a pretty decent hand.

Its the tricky part of moving tables and trying to figure out the lay of the land at the new table.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I have finally qualified for the big one. Thank God. I thought I was sunk when I raised into pocket Aces with pocket Qs. Interesting situation I thought because I think I read my opponent wrong due to her slightly bad play. Maybe I'm being arrogant but I raised with Queens, she re-raised. then when the flop came with an Ace we both checked. Now when she checked I said to myself she can't have had pocket Aces or she'd have made a move. It's madness to check a hand like that when you have bugger all chips left and the pot is massive. So when she went all-in on the turn I called her convinced she had Jacks or at worst Kings but she had the Aces.
    I think thats a prime example of how people read the well established tactic of slow playing a flopped set and always do exactly that instead of adapting to the situation. If you have committed 80% of your chips to a pot and have very little chips left then if the flop makes you a monster like trip A then push your chips in. Don't give your opponent a cheap 4th card, a chance to outdraw you.
    Anyway I survived that skirmish and tightened up. Sorry to knock you out lafortezza but I only had to call an extra 500 with AQs to see it through. I could well have gone out 6th because my stack was one of the lowest but in true holdem fashion my patience was rewarded. You truly never know whats going to happen and sure enough some guy goes all-in with A7 with a flop of 226. That crazy enough only the guy who calls him has A8. Beggars belief! Anyway the A8 held up, the A7 was out and I get to play in the big one.
    Oh yeah. Dev's girlfriend was a bit of an 'oul wagon. Not happy with you at all Dev. I reckon it's love. She didn't much take to Davey Devil either asking here how much chips she had left. Too much Matt Damon in Rounders going on lads. It's not the movies it's the fitzwilliam.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Personally I hate moving tables and nights that i have done best I have stayed put. Moving is probably the worst thing that can happen to you, especially if you are bullying all at the table and winning.

No moving at the Businees League is a big bonus for us.

Hyzepher

Muso writes:
    Oh yeah. Dev's girlfriend was a bit of an 'oul wagon. Not happy with you at all Dev. I reckon it's love. She didn't much take to Davey Devil either asking here how much chips she had left.

Bring it on biatch lol... I believe the reach-around left-hand-twist method is considered the industry standard panty-unwadding best practise.

La Fortezza
    When you joined our table you had a big stack. But I don't think you realised how tight our table was playing.

Actually I did, I did a quick tot on the chips in front of everyone and reckoned that there couldnt have been more then 10-12 buyins (presuming that everyone topped up). I was trying to act the bully with the big stack (a position I'm not well experienced at!) and also I think I was a little high from all the adrenaline of winning almost every fecking chip I had in heads up all-in situations!

I played poorly though and I'm kicking myself for a momentary loss of sanity from being a shoe in for the final table. Live and learn.

DeV.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I played poorly though and I'm kicking myself for a momentary loss of sanity...
    DeV.

Momentary loss? - ah yeah whatever - wink.

Well if it is any consolation to you - the first night I was in I was down to the last 4 - was about in 2nd place when I got a stupidity attack and went all in againt the chip leader = 4th place - only 3 tickets. I was about a week getting over that one.

Hyzepher

Aye, I played crackin' poker for 2 hours but I'm haunted today by a loss of concentration for 20 mins. Also I moved from a table of about 4-5 players to a table of about 9-10 and made the fatal mistake of not adjusting my game ... I've never been moved before and I thought you were all being over sensitive but I got a rude awakening last night! It sucks!!

DeV.

My first time in the Fitzwilliam last night, I did enjoy it, even though I didn't play particularly well. I was upstairs initially, and there was great banter and histrionics between a couple of the regulars (one of them was the guy with the flat cap).
    I'll definitely be back next week.

Not a fan of having to move table either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Originally posted by Samson
    My first time in the Fitzwilliam last night, I did enjoy it, even though I didn't play particularly well. I was upstairs initially, and there was great banter and histrionics between a couple of the regulars (one of them was the guy with the flat cap).
    I'll definitely be back next week.

What seat were you in upstairs? I was in no 5, one to norman's left - praise be, saved me gambling blinds cos of his regular all-ins. Think I saw about 4 flops all evening. Then made a hideous (read stoopid) call on the hand that put me out.

Originally posted by henbane
    What seat were you in upstairs? I was in no 5, one to norman's left - praise be, saved me gambling blinds cos of his regular all-ins. Think I saw about 4 flops all evening. Then made a hideous (read stoopid) call on the hand that put me out.

I was right beside you, seat 6.
    Yeah, Norman's all ins with 56s were a bit frequent all right, took all his chips with pocket aces at one stage (early on).
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Norman is one crazy bastard. I couldn't believe I was sitting next to him again after coming 2nd to him in the 250 game. It's alot of fun with him at the table and I reckon our table had more chips on it at the break than 3 others combined with all the buy in's. Some really crazy play at the final table as Musician described. With six left and 5 tickets up for grabs the 2 lads started betting needlessly. They should have just waited for the blinds to pass by Musician twice more and hope he didn't find a hand. Once you get to the final table it's all about survival but these boys were playing to win even though you only had to come fifth to get the ticket. I'm sure the Asian guy will be kicking himself today.

Saw some crazy play last night as usual. Even after the break a few unfamilar faces didn't adjust to what should have been tighter play. Friend of mine was doing really well upstairs had about 17,000 in chips at the break in only his second time playing holdem. Unfortanaltely his inexperience told in the end and he was out about an hour later. Great to win a ticket for March off only a tenner, watch out for rising star Krattapopov who promisses to kick everone's ass and win a ticket next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

its only a matter of time

• Advertisement

Next week there will be no loss of concentration. I want a ticket to the big boys game!

Dev.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Dave if you keep winning tickets they will ban you from the free event, you'll be set for all the 250 games till the end of the year by March

Hey, best of luck tonight guys, hope you all come first (actually I hope 4 of you come first and someone gets knocked out immediately, that way when I play I wont feel so bad if I do it on my first night heheh :)) )

Knock em dead and let me know asap how it goes... I've been looking forward to hearing all day (in Scotland!)

Goe teh Team Boards!!! wooooo! :)

DeV.

Advertisement