Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ignoring Users

Options
  • 05-02-2004 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is already in place but ....

If a moderator has a user on ignore they should still be able to read the users posts on the boards they moderate.

To put it another way you shouldn't be able to ignore any posts on the boards you moderate.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Did someone just say something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the option is there to view the post, if they see a post in their own board they should check it out.. it ain't that difficult

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by Mordeth
    it ain't that difficult

are you sure?
    it does require you having to click an extra time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I know its a lazy suggestion, my suggestions always are. Somebody suggested on the moderators board that mods shouldn't have users on ignore, or something to that effect, which got me thinking...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I dont quite understand the ignore function myself. It seems to me that all it does is remind you of who you dont like. I have severel people on ignore but according to the rules of boards.ie you are required to read there posts anyway.

Let me explain. If i have a guy on ignore and he posts the answer to someone elces question or he says something and i post the exact same thing that is considerd to be spamming (posting something that was aready said) So if you have someone on ignore you have to read there posts anyway so that you dont get banned for spamming by saying something simmilar to what they said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

You worry about to much about spamming methinks user, simply because you get accused of it so often (ironically, i'd say several posts a day are just defending yourself, and thus raising your count, and aggravating the accusers more :p ). If someonce calls you a spammer for the above situation, explain what happened, and tell 'em to shove it if they give you any more stick (hey, there's another post or two for you if nothing else :) ). I mean, look at quank, he has 10 to 15 posts a day on average i'd say, and everyone of them is nothing more constructive than Lol, rofl, good one, made me laugh, pardon, not funny or :dunno: . He spams the crap out of the humour board, if he can get away with it there, your one or two posts that can be classed as spam will pass blissfully unnoticed by the moderation gods of this great forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by User45701
    according to the rules of boards.ie you are required to read there posts anyway.

Where does it say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

i agree with sonofbattles, 40 odd post a day may seem a little excessive but they've all been fairly constructive, anyway going off topic there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by Evil Phil
    Somebody suggested on the moderators board that mods shouldn't have users on ignore, or something to that effect, which got me thinking...

Mods are entitled to ignore people just like anyone else. I don't see it as an issue unless the person is specifically calling on the mods for something. Just because your a mod doesn't mean you have to read the posts of some obnoxious twat.

Also with the report a thread link it really shouldn't matter if a mod is ignoring someone in their forum as if someone uses the link the mod will be alerted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

yeah that was me who said that Phil. i just think mods having users on ignore can go badly. If someone starts flaming or posting ****e/being abusive etc. and you have em on ignore you could miss it and BAM starts a big bitch fight.

Tbh i personally dont like the ignore function. i mean some people are idiots but i'd still read their posts. there are others that probably think i'm an idiot and so will attack me in a post. i'm still happier reading it than having it there hidden cus you put them on ignore. also I just think putting people on ignore due to an argument is simply a cop out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I dont quite understand the ignore function myself. It seems to me that all it does is remind you of who you dont like.

When someone posts at a rate of 30+ per day, you do not need reminding that you do not like them.

Let me explain. If i have a guy on ignore and he posts the answer to someone elces question or he says something and i post the exact same thing that is considerd to be spamming (posting something that was aready said)

Depends on ones interpretation of "spamming".

So if you have someone on ignore you have to read there posts anyway so that you dont get banned for spamming by saying something simmilar to what they said.

Or you could just not reply to every post on every thread on every board in every section of the site (maybe it just feels like that to me - anyone else?).

--

Don't get me wrong, User45701, I don't think you've broken the rules. Yet.

But I really, really, strongly, vehemently dislike your posting style. I'm not saying it's a crime, I'm just registering my dislike. No offense intended to you.

I don't think you've broken the rules. But there's the letter of the law, and the spirit of the law...

Besides your over-enthusiasm you seem like a fairly decent individual - I hope you continue to enjoy your boards.ie experience (although if it were at a reduced post rate noone would complain).

Cheers,
    Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

A new low... Trojan begging in IRC for people to aggree with him on this matter.... how times have changed.

Originally posted by bubbles
    A new low... Trojan begging in IRC for people to aggree with him on this matter.... how times have changed.

Hehe, cheers John :)

New lows yourself - no, I will not be blackmailed into buying you a pint ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Originally posted by Trojan
    I will not be blackmailed into buying you a pint ;)

Is that everyone or just bubbles?

Originally posted by Amz
    Is that everyone or just bubbles?

Everyone babe, I just won the lotto.

Back on topic damnit! Otherwise I'll be accused of spamming this thread, and that would be kind of ironic... ;)

Depends on ones interpretation of "spamming".

I am going by the one given to me by tazzle a MOD at the CS fourm, he said that posting the same thing as aready posted is considerd spam

Don't get me wrong, User45701, I don't think you've broken the rules. Yet.

Besides your over-enthusiasm you seem like a fairly decent individual - I hope you continue to enjoy your boards.ie experience (although if it were at a reduced post rate noone would complain).

My posts count is droping. Its gone down from 77-34 and it will go down more

I don't know why adding you to my ignore list has failed, but in any case I can see your post so I'll endeavour to reply politely ;)
    I am going by the one given to me by tazzle a MOD at the CS fourm, he said that posting the same thing as aready posted is considerd spam

There are many different definitions of spam, and I guess a lot of it is down to perception. I perceive you as a spammer. Why? I see an extraordinary amount of posts from you on some threads. You've replied to almost every thread in certain forums. Several times. Your post count is astronomical. No, none of these are against the rules.

Yes, I'm probably being unfair and intolerant - maybe my job is unsatisfying or I'm not getting enough sex (3 years is long enough for anybody) :)

Whatever the reason, it annoys some people, particularly unfairly intolerant people like me, of whom there are plenty on boards. Hey, we're disguised as normal people but just lose the cool every so often.

That's all. If you want, you can keep posting at 70 per day, who cares what we think anyway.

My posts count is droping. Its gone down from 77-34 and it will go down more

Like I said, that will not been seen as a bad thing :)

btw I think uberwolf has a good argument here as to why it might be annoying. I don't disagree with his analysis - I haven't taken the time to figure out why I'm p!ssed off, maybe that's the reason.

Cheers,
    Al.

My defination of spam has always been

Irrelvent posting (DFHHSDDHHD FHEHHDH HHDDHDHH)
    Irrelvent posting (Saying "its raining" in a thread about StarGate)
    The same post several times
    repeating what has aready been said by another user

Each forum seems to have slightly different ways of dealing with spam and different definations.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I just won the lotto.

Al
    did you win enough for me to become your new bestest friendie??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I dont quite understand the ignore function myself. It seems to me that all it does is remind you of who you dont like.

Yeah, I put a couple of people on ignore yesterday, and I thought they and their posts would just disappear from my view, so I'd never even know they exist. But it actually tells you that they post. Why, oh why can't I completely ignore stupid people? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,406 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Exit
    Yeah, I put a couple of people on ignore yesterday, and I thought they and their posts would just disappear from my view, so I'd never even know they exist. But it actually tells you that they post. Why, oh why can't I completely ignore stupid people? :(
    Context.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

So the ignore thing I suggested above, is it a feature of vB or is it something that'll have to be coded by the admins. If its the latter I'd say you're too busy to do it and leave it at that. It seems like a good idea but I wouldn't code it so I don't expect anybody else too.

As i said before the problem with the ignore is that you cant see there posts and you may end up posting the same thing they posted - Posting the same thing as someone elce is considerd spamming and you would probbley be threatened with a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

As i said before the problem with the ignore is that you cant see there posts and you may end up posting the same thing they posted - Posting the same thing as someone elce is considerd spamming and you would probbley be threatened with a ban.

Who considers this?

I don't use the ignore feature, I find it much easier just not to read what somebody has written.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yeah, who considers this?

I also don't use the ignore feature as I find it much easier just not to read what somebody has written.

Ahaha. I kill me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If a discussion is going on and some people have their ignore feature turned on, it would mean that things would get very disjointed quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Indeed, there's not much use in an ignore feature, think of the headless chickens running around saying the same things. just like this thread!

Originally posted by amp
    Who considers this?

Tazzle
    He told me that 1 of the meenings of spamming was posting the same thing as someone aready posted.

Advertisement