Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My 316 sounds like a diesel

Options
  • 05-02-2004 4:58pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭

apparently a common issue on most/all of them, rather than an actual problem.. just wondering what the cause of it is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm tempted to say the cause is money related - you were too cheap to buy a "proper" beemer! :)

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum///index.php?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

probably the tappets thats what making funny noise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Are they not hydraulicly adjusted in beeeeeemers?

Tinky

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

nope

Are they not hydraulicly adjusted in beeeeeemers?

but if there is problem with oil quality/pressure etc hydraulic adjusters will not function correctly. many beemers have this problem- specially at the cold start

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Tappets are always louder when the engine is cold.

I say ;
    Warm up your car properly, not by sitting in the driveway.
    The fastest your car warms up, the less wear on the engine. But dont drive it hard when cold, but do use moderate rev's before changing. (e.g. Beemer 3,500 or S2000, 7krpm ;) )

Drive it about 1k rpm under your redline in 2nd at a steady pace for about 10 minutes on your local dual cabbage-way.

2 fold affect. Engine warms up slightly above optimium temperature so;

1) burns off the 'polish' which builds up on your cylinders's oil-retention etchings.
    Every cylinder has tiny circles etched out above the mid-travel of the piston, so that oil is retained there for when the pistol comes back up. After about 6 months, fuel and carbon residue put a film over this and fills the etches so oil cannot stay there which put more wear and resistance on your piston travel.

You WILL have improved fuel economy & slightly better torque after this for up to 6 months, then just do it again.

2) additional heat will assist any dirt buildup around the tappets to disperse and end up in your oil filter.

Before you do any of this make sure you have enough oil in your engine and water in your reservoir!

Lemme know how it goes.
    J.

Tappets are always louder when the engine is cold.

that's applies to every car but noisy hydraulic tappets come free with beemers specially when oil changes were neglected.

If you run on cooking oil ,not only this will deposit sh1te all over you engine but will may damage your tappets as they will run nearly dry specially after long parking periods.Simply because cheapo oil doesn't stick to anything.

Additionally, May be worth checking It could be that oil spray bar which runs across the top of the tappets was blocked by something like gasket material (instant gasket etc) it can make tappets very noisy.

This only will apply if you can hear distinctive tapping noise from your engine.

Agree, long runs at steady speed will clear engine a bit but still you have to change the oil&filter in some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

The 316i & 318i M40 engines use hydraulically adjusted tappets. If yous engine is tappetty, kinda sounding like a sewing machine on steroids, you will need to change the camshaft & rockers, a kit is available from GSF & Europarts, both in Dublin now I think.
    The problem is caused by an oil spray bar positioned above the cam, if the oil isn't changed regularly it clogs & the cam gets oil later than it should and over time it wears down.
    I had the same prob when I owned a 316i, best solution: buy a 6 cylinder!!! Just got a 96 323i, which is more economical than my old 316i!? And goes like fuc......

Advertisement