Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching on monitor causes broadband to fail/disconnect

• 05-02-2004 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Ive had this problem for a while now.
    I leave my PC on 24/7 with eircom broadband enhanced connected all the time.

Only at night i switch off the monitor.

But when i switch the monitor on (only after being off for a few hours) it causes the broadband to fail and disconnect.
    Does anyone know why this happens?
    It only happens sometimes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭oakers

That's a weird one alright!

I'm kind of clutching at straws but it could be power jumping? Have you tried making sure the power cables a totally separated?? Also, make sure themodem is nowhere near any power cables linked to the monitor!

Just a couple of ideas!

hope it's of some help!

Oakers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Could be a few things. Switching on the monitor will cause a lot of electromagnetic interference, that might be enough to kill your link. My money's on a mains issues though. See if you can plug the monitor into a different electrical circuit in the house (behind a different fuse/circuit breaker).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

what sort of modem do you have? are you using a usb or ethernet connection?

anyway it's very likely that your vga cable is touching or very close to your dsl cables make sure they are seperated as much as you can and that they aren't left so that they can fall back next to each other.

the electromagnetic interference from a monitor is huge compared to everything else you have there, especially when you are turning it back on.

i proved this to someone some time ago by downloading a large file onto my laptop using a caymen netopia connected via usb, and with du meter running in the background, slowly moving the vga cable towards the usb cable from the netopia to the laptop, and you could plainly see the download speed drop from over 500kbps to less than 200 with very reduced stability. as soon as the cable was moved away the download shot back up to over 500kbps. all this without the added interference of turning the monitor on and off, but anyone who's worked in a busy office will tell you that turning on a monitor can affect other monitors within a couple of feet.

right that's enough rambling, just give it a go and see what happens.

I'm off to find something else to post to so i can get my post count over 1000 by the end of the day :p

Advertisement