Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aged Beef. Where?

• 05-02-2004 6:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

I've been looking on and off for a butchers that to aged beef for a nice joint, but i haven't seen any.

basically anything that's been hung for more than 21 days would normally be considered 'aged'. normal stuff from the butchers and supermarkets doesn't usually get more than 15 days hanging time, but you get a much better flavour from something thats had more time to sit.

anyone know of anywhere near the middle of town that does it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭esentziak

Which town?

if Dublin, I got some well aged beef from Buckley's in Moore Street recently. I buy a sirloin roast every year for New Year's eve and have found their meat the best so far.

Esentziak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

that'll do nicely, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭cyberspider

Some of the supersuinn stores also hang there meat for longer. Just ask them if they have some. If you ask they will usually be happy to hang it longer for you.

The reason most BUtchers/supermarkets dont hang the meat properly is because most people dont know how to buy meat anymore. They thisn the reddre it is the better. Where they should be looking for the darker hung meat. It just doesnt look as fresh.

Also beef on the bone taste a hell of a lot nicer than boned and god forbid rolled. Try finding a butcher who does short Siorloins on the bone. Which used to be the traditional roast. Even finding t bone steaks is a chore. It is all to do with a ban on selling meat on the bone. This ban has been sort of lifted but people shy away from meat on the bone because of BSE.

Advertisement