Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

User45701

Options
  • 05-02-2004 7:48pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey, could people cut this user some slack and do some research before branding him or sticking the boot in? Half a dozen high-horsers have talked down to or slagged him off recently....

His post rate is not 34 a day, learn how averages work. He's posted maybe 10-15 a day on average over the last week and frankly if everyones posts were like his I'd have a lot less to do round here.
    About 1 in 150 posts to boards are his, I doubt thats significantly diluting the experience for anyone.

Jeez, I must be getting soft, just felt it should be said.

DeV.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Actually, now that I think of it, I think you post a bit too much too DeVore.

Cut it down a notch, k?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

must say my bit on this.

what ever way he wants to spent his time isn't up to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

fair play to the lad/lass, seems to have some valid points and has, to the best of my knowledge, steered clear of all the spammy ah threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

They are all just jealous of User45701.

Grow up loads ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Spamming is based no post content, not amount. User45701 simply has a lot to say

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Aye, the only thing that has been brought to my attention just now is an overuse of the "report this thread" option. Thats not a good thing. Other then that I think more posts have been generated *about* him then by him lately.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Nice guy by the looks of it! (Just wanted to add my 2c ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Guess it depends which threads you're reading. I've seen the damn things everywhere. 34.71 posts a day is his average posts-per-day as of the time of this posting. That's ~600 posts in less than a month. I didn't say it was not allowed, just that it's very annoying to read. 1 in 150 posts are his? You say that like it's low.

My post on the other thread was trying to inform him, as politely as I could manage, that his enthusiasm may not always be interpreted kindly. Perhaps the guy doesn't realise he's p!ssing some people off - maybe he would like to know. Maybe he doesn't care. I did it relatively politely as far as things go, and even polled some people on irc to ask if they thought my post was fair.

I'm not looking for a reply Tom, I see your point of view, I just disagree.

I'll just put the guy on ignore.

Cheers,
    Al.

[edit] Postscript: besides, he was just asking for it by replying to a thread called "Ignoring Users". ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Originally posted by tman
    fair play to the lad/lass, seems to have some valid points and has, to the best of my knowledge, steered clear of all the spammy ah threads.

I couldent resist the ground hog day thread :D

Yes i talked to Dustaz about me using the report this thread option he was saying that he dosent need me to say what is and isent spam. Then i just explained that Tazzle told me what is and what isent spam so when I saw a post that was considerd spam by a CS mod I reported it because they didnt see it.

Allot of people on the CS forum seem to have a problem with me.I havent reported a post in a day or 2 (or mabe just a day i have trouble telling how much time has past)
    I dont plan on reporting any more posts.

EDIT: Yes trojan i think it would be much better if those who didnt like me put me on ignore.

EDIT: Also my post count has droped allot and is still going down. Its just because i posted so much right after registering (70 posts in the first 24 hours) Also at the moment since i have just got broadband I find that i am downloading allot of gaming movies and demos so i have allot of free time on the net while these files are downloading. Most of my friends are spening all there free time studying for the leaving and i only go out with them on thursday fri and sat night so i have allot of free time during the week to post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'm glad User45701 joined boards.ie.

When the new series of Enterprise started me, bizmark, data and one or two others started posting about it. The threads weren't really going anywhere with 3/4 people posting. but when User45701 joined he posted non-stop on star trek forum. So much that it was on the boards.ie frontpage alot, leading to more people coming to it and better debates.

I have never found his posts to be spam but more constructive and informatitive.

Some people just have alot to say!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I'd put it down to having found a new toy - all excited. I'm all for people using this place. My day wouldn't be the same without it.
    Its obvious why he/she was deemed a spammer but their count is dropping and will continue to do so. I don't think it makes sense to chase some one away for being enthusiastic, gentle advice should get through to people.
    Equally new users should be a little less conspicous, if not in post count as least in trying to aid Mods so much (post reporting). Get used to the place first - its like any other community, if someone new came over to you in the pub you'd chat to them but if they started dominating a converstation and giving out to you for what you have to say you'd have every right to get p*ssed off with them.

does any of that make sense? just blurted it out...

Yes it does make sence.

howeaver is it right to have 1 set of rules for new uses and 1 set of rules for regulars? (retorical question not looking for answer)

That question was aready discused and it wasent resolved. I think that thread got locked but im not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

User45701: the one basic thing i would say is that a reply isnt always needed. All of us go on sprees where we go round all our subscribed boards and post to a load of threads. but sometimes, its just better to not say something if it isnt constructive. for instance i saw a post of yours on the film board, which simply said "i disagree with all your opinions" and that was all. while this type of post maybe only one in ten but thats still 60 posts like that so far in a month. sometimes its better to let a thread grow a bit before replying instead of replying after each post like?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by User45701

howeaver is it right to have 1 set of rules for new users and 1 set of rules for regulars?

not rules, this is not an autocracy, and is thrives because people with different opinions use it and air them. But leaping right in gets peoples backs up (as you've seen) and this is completly like any other social situation. Get used to the place first. There are decorums everywhere and this is what you appear to have broken in some people's opinions. You haven't irked me at all.
    (rhetorical question not looking for answer)

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Social etiquette - new phrase of the day.

Originally posted by crash_000
    User45701: the one basic thing i would say is that a reply isnt always needed. All of us go on sprees where we go round all our subscribed boards and post to a load of threads. but sometimes, its just better to not say something if it isnt constructive. for instance i saw a post of yours on the film board, which simply said "i disagree with all your opinions" and that was all. while this type of post maybe only one in ten but thats still 60 posts like that so far in a month. sometimes its better to let a thread grow a bit before replying instead of replying after each post like?

IMPORTANT!

That was not me!
    I must have a link to that post. There are 2 explenations

1.It could be User45702
    2.Someone might have acess to my account

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Theres 45,701 regged users on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

He now seems to be going through a Victor type phase correcting all the errors on boards. Whatever did we do before he arrived?

Also I agree with crash_000. Sometimes you should ask yourself: do I really need to post that. About 1 in 3 of posts I make actually get posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Time heals everything. He's just enthusiastic. After a while you go "I don't need to reply and say the same that that other guy did"

Give him time. I do think he could have picked a better username though :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

FWIW, User is also good for the Stargate threads and helping actively promote a new board for the show. His spelling errors may make me cry in pain but I can tolerate it based purely on the fact he's rarely posting nonsense and seems to be enthusiastic about what he posts, rather than yet-another cynic. So let's let him be (and give him the spell checker feature he wants :)).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

[New Forum Suggestion]
    "User45701 fellatio forum"

Private Y/N: Yes
    Reason: So everyone can feel good about supporting User45701 in any way they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

"Oh look theres a new kid on the block and hes getting attention. Attention we deserve. lets bully him."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Tilt has a similar approach to posting to mine. The only difference is that only 1 of 3 of his posts don't get deleted by him. ;););)

Seriously though. Yes, vive la difference and all that but there's nothing wrong with constructive criticism and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

As long as he
    a. doesnt post utterly pointless comments that merely repeat what has already been said
    b. Stops reporting every post made to the cs board
    c. makes a little effort to post in something resembling english

then i wont have a problem with him. Hes just another aol.ie 'er .

In fairness to him, he seems to have stopped doing a and b, now if only c could be achieved :)

Yellum, save it for amz.

B: Every post? I reported 3 or 5 i cant remember, that isent every post. And i just wanted to point out that there was byiasm on the CS forum. (Is byiasm a word? - Byest?)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What's all this fuss about a few spelling mistakes here and there? What if a user wants to post here but is mildly dyslexic? Are they to be banned? As far as I can tell, User45701's spelling mistakes seem to be standard spelling mistakes from someone who has a little difficulty in spelling as opposed to "aol speek" as Dustaz puts it or "newbie speek" as I have seen some other posters put it. As long as the post is legilible then it should be fine.

I've come across posts from User45701 a load of times on the forum and always found them to be above par of the usual ****e I see. Like someone said earlier in this thread, I only took an interest in posting to the Star Trek forum after he started posting there.

And by the way, User45701 the word you're looking for is bias ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by User45701
    (Is byiasm a word? - Byest?)
    The word you're looking for is biase..."there's a biase on the CS forum"
    Biased...etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

biase

[pedant]bias[/pedant]

Today I'm mostly being pedantic