Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to Invest my winnings?

Options
  • 05-02-2004 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭

I won over 3 grand playing poker, I was hoping one of you finance brains could tell me a good way of making money with it. I don't mind some risk so shares seem to be the way to go. Problem is I know nothing about shares. Do you have any advice about which companies are worth investing in a what's the chances I could lose a considerable amount of the money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

For an amount like that, ideally you would max out an SSIA if you have one. Shares can be risky, unless you spread it around on a number of shares, but spending €1,000 on one share means the broker will make more moeny than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

it depends greatly on the time frame you're willing to allow. Safe shares make money over a long time frame. Unsafe ones, who knows, bust or bingo.

Wise man once say, to make a small fortune on the stock exchange first you must invest large fortune.

I reckon the ssia route Victor proposes is a good one, partic if you happen to have a stocks based one like me. They've performed poorly to date but by all accounts are being invested in heavily now.
    E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

AskAboutMoney (www.askaboutmoney.com) has a discussion board and a Guide to Savings and Investments from an Irish perspective - I'm not that clued in to investments, but this site is a great starting point!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by uberwolf
    Wise man once say, to make a small fortune on the stock exchange first you must invest large fortune.
    Wise man also say: A stockbroker is a person who invests your money for you until its all gone

Advertisement