Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I want good music software!!!

• 05-02-2004 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

I have reason at home, but it looks terribly complex and was hoping to use a more simple user friendly package to start out on (the only software I used before was rebirth).

I heard that fruity loops was pretty good without being too complicated.

Any other suggestions???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Reason is terribly confusing I find anyway.
    Fruityloops is good I still use it nowadays.
    Get that and a few VSTi plugins and you're laughing.

Have a look here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

reason is the only real choice

if you have no background in making tunes you may as well start with it, coz its infinitely better than fruity and it wont take much longer to suss out whats goin on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Is there any books or software that I can buy that can teach me how to use it?

Also if you know any software for learning photoshop, that would be great.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

There are tons of free tutorials online for Reason and Photoshop.

As Helix said, you may as well start with Reason - it doesn't take that long to get going, but it's deep and complex enough that you can do LOADS with it (and it will take some serious time to master).

try not to rely too much on tutorials or books to learn how to do stuff, coz the more you read them the more it saps your creativity

it becomes more about "how can i do what the book showed me what to do ever so slightly differenly", than "how can do something completely different to anything ive ever seen before"

• Advertisement

Press all the buttons twiddle every knob.
    Just to see what they all do.
    Best way to learn imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Originally posted by neXus9
    Also if you know any software for learning photoshop, that would be great.

You should try Paint Shop Pro. Photoshop is not as user friendly as it should be.

Or you could try The Gimp it's free :D

Originally posted by bus77
    You should try Paint Shop Pro. Photoshop is not as user friendly as it should be.

mess around with photoshop for a week or so and itll all come together, its not that hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Originally posted by Helix
    mess around with photoshop for a week or so and itll all come together, its not that hard

Photoshop is a pain in the arse to use, things that should be simple, in psp you make your selection click copy ,paste as new layer, your free to work away then.
    In photoshop its like open heart surgery tryin to navagate that little box in the corner, simple things take double the amount of clicks.
    The last time I used photoshop they didnt even have an image browser:eek:

• Advertisement

thats what keyboard shortcuts are for

psp is kids stuff compared to what ps can dp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wont suggest any music software as you seem to be into dance stuff (not my bag) but for help and advice head to - http://forum.midiaddict.com/

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

www.dogsonacid.com are a drum and bass site with a very very good production forum... go to the site and click through to "the grid" you get all sorts from complete n00bs to people whose records i buy on a regular basis... they have a good few links up to tutorials and loads of practical advice on everything from sound card issues to synths etc. plus the guy who runs the site is after posting up a list of what tunes he made and released purely with reason rewired into cubase [ver surprising list btw.. and proof that reason is an underrated production tool imo] ... . most of the stuff would be relevant to someone producing just about any genre of music and the people there are pretty sound too. check the sticky threads for online tutorials and sample threads. :thumbsup:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Does gimp work on linux only??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

There was a windows version at one time.

If there isn't anymore just google for it.

http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/stable.html

Heres everything you need.

[edit] it seems its no longer available from gimp homepage any longer. :confused: [/edit]

Advertisement