Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the cap aint that bad tbh

• 06-02-2004 1:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭

I'm supprised to see I haven't even come close to the cap limit yet ???

supprising.jpg

I've read ppl here saying they be downloading 10gigs a month. My question is what do you be downloading??? I use my connection a fair bit if I'm honest, but look at the results

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by ando
    My question is what do you be downloading???

you'd be surprized at what some people download :D:D:D

most people download mp3's iso's torrents tv programs films etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

well while i don't find the cap too bad it is a little restrictive, i couldn't online game for 12hours a day for example on the cap got bb mid last month and used up a few gigs on downloads anyway. have used about 500megs this month so far don't know how you have only used 25 mb :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

I'd murder that cap tbh.
    Just today I re-installed ut2k3 and downloaded the updates (except clicksilver died about 75meg through one and I havn't bothered getting it again, tomorrow will do). On top of that I got the new ut2k4 crap video thingy from beyondunreal. Thats about half a gig in a day. I also download loads of movies for other games which can be a few hundred meg each.

Thats only the tip of the iceberg. Broadband aint about having to watch your download meter . If I see a link thats even remotely interesting I like to be able to just click it, let it download in background and watch/play/whatever. If its **** I'll delete it. 4 gig is pants, especially considering how much your paying for it.

edit:
    "I use my connection a fair bit if I'm honest, but look at the results"
    Maybe if you just browse and get mails. There's a lot more to the net than that tbh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it was stated on another tread that theres rumours that the eircom cap may be raised to 8gb in march for the €54 dsl and the new cheaper €40 will have 4gb. I would go for the 8gb as thats fairly ample for most users, i may downlaod the odd movie if theres sommet i really wanna see or cant get in the shops but I aint gonna download crappy divx's night after night taht im never gonna watch like wot many uk dsl users do. Anyway I shouldnt have too many probs with the 4gb cap as i'l mainly be surfing, email, msn and gaming with a few mp3 downloads thrown in thats about it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

220GB of linux .iso's I swear...
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Windows updates, program updates, game updates, game add-ons/mods, game demos, testing different programs, gaming, browsing, uploading/downloading big pictures from friends FTP server. Run my own mini ftp-server for my friend. Stream music to my brother occasionally.

The usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Start using Yahoo Launch. Watch your cap go in a matter of days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

if you watch alot of streaming media (video and radio)
    you will smash the cap
    not being able to have streaming radio on while i use my pc when i have broadband is ridiculus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Look up bittorrent and look around at all the stuff you can download - then connect three computers up to your router and have a heavy ET/RTCW player playing on your line and then a few friends who all want different .iso .torrents demos patches .exe's and watch your cap get smashed to smithereens:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    Look up bittorrent and look around at all the stuff you can download - then connect three computers up to your router and have a heavy ET/RTCW player playing on your line and then a few friends who all want different .iso .torrents demos patches .exe's and watch your cap get smashed to smithereens:(.

The point is that hardly any "normal people" ;) will do any of that. So the cap doesn't matter to most of us.

I did hit 3Gb in my first full month of bb. I average about 1Gb now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Im with IOL broadband. I got signed up on the 22nd of December and got cut off on the 27th for going way over the limit. The 8gb limit is far to small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

well watch do you expect going over the cap in 5 days you where or should have been aware of what it was, i wonder how easily people would go over the cap downloading legal stuff :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

Incredibly easily. I dont download divx's or any of that (maybe an album or two a month, thats like 150 meg) and I am generally in around the 8 gig. And whats this 'normal people' stuff?
    I got BB so I could use the net to its full potential not just so web pages load quicker (nice bonus of course). If you only use it for basic things then fine but dont assume people who go through over 4 gig a month are all warez junkies.
    Only in Ireland... years behind in a lot of peoples attitudes let alone technology :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

General games patches and installs take up alot pretty quick if your into them. Get someone who has a linux machine on auto update and it's starts DLin a fair bit with updates. Anything streaming will destroy any cap really. Espec Yahoo launch.
    Webpages can also add up quite quick. Do some work on and graphical and they will be near 100k a pages if they have small pics. Photoshop pictures also that hugh amount of space

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by Sarsfield
    The point is that hardly any "normal people" ;) will do any of that. So the cap doesn't matter to most of us.

I did hit 3Gb in my first full month of bb. I average about 1Gb now.

i just downloaded the trial for planetside it was 1.5 gb
    thats 40% of my cap gone in 1 night
    im not a normal person because i play games online? :confused:

Advertisement