Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

256mb Radeon 9600 from Komplett (any such thing?)

• 06-02-2004 2:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Evening all,
    Just got my new gfx card from Komplett. Sapphire Radeon 9600 Atlantis 256mb. So I went to the website to make sure i had the latest drivers and couldnt see any mention of a 256mb 9600 , only a 128mb.
    Have i been done?
    How can i check the gfx memory?
    Any ideas lads?

Cheers
    Wavey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yep there is a 256 model.

Type dxdiag in run, and click the display tab, to see how much video memory is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

yep theres it's 256mb alright. But twice the memory for an extra 6 yoyos? (256mb for 112 and 128mb for 106) Where's the catch?
    Ah well, the lesson here is Dont order components after drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by Wavey
    yep theres it's 256mb alright. But twice the memory for an extra 6 yoyos? (256mb for 112 and 128mb for 106) Where's the catch?
    Ah well, the lesson here is Dont order components after drink.

Extra memery does not always mean better performance... There is cases where it is actually worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

catch would be you get 256mb of slower memory.

The 128mb model has faster ram so prob is faster by a wee bit

I think the words "DON'T BUY 256MB CARDS OVER 128MB UNLESS YOU ARE SURE THE MEMORY IS THE SAME QUALITY" should be in a sticky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Mmm, Maybe I'll change it then.
    Do I have to change the AGP Aperture size in the Bios to match the card?

Thanks for the replies lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

lol, most definetly. Alot of people make the mistake that 256mb 9600 is better than say a 9600pro 128mb version.......... just isint the case.

[edit] The AGP size in the bios shouldnt have any effect on the actual card, think (and i could be wrong on this) it relates to the ammount of memory allocated if the Card memory is used up............. something like that, not very important.

Make sure AGP is set to 8x, if the mobo supports it.
    Then make sure 8x is enabled using SmartGart, which comes with the omega drivers, www.omegacorner.com

Advertisement