Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain Name Dispute

Options
  • 06-02-2004 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

This guy:

http://www.netincome.com/

currently owns a domain name I want. He does not use the domain I want, and has one of those holding pages on it.

It is blatantly obvious he is cybersquatting on numerous domain names, is there any other method of getting it off him other than legally through ICANN , which costs close to EUR 1000?

The f[_]cker quoted me $5000 dollars when I asked his selling price.

Cheers in advance...

P.S. I have trademark rights to the domain name, and the company has bona fide goods and services under said domain name.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Scum of the earth - will a .co.uk, .net, .ie, .org or .name not suit you instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mickah

all the other country/type domains are taken. Will have to slap a "ltd" on the end if I can't resolve it with this guy.

Anyone got any ideas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If you have trademark rights you're quite likely to get the domain name back using UDRP (Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy) dispute resolution . Here's a list of approved providers, the last time I looked NAF was the cheapest at about a grand ($), but that was a long time ago.

adam

dahamsta :

I researched ICANN and the UDRP. I was wondering if there was any other way. I also tried the company he registered it with, in case they had any extra policy on cyber-squatting or such. No luck.

IS my only recourse is paying EUR 1000 with the UDRP? Depite the fact it's a massively obvious case of cyber-squatting (he's obtained domains soley for the purpose of re-sale) as he has advertiesed on his website?

His HTML Title is "Domain names for sale - free email accounts." ffs!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭paulthelegend

Put it this way ... it could be worse it could be a .ie name that you want and someone has but not using it ... happened to me and basically theres absolutly nothing you can do :) once there a ltd company they can register a good few once its related to them in some way , was a real eye opener for me who thought it was one RBN per .ie domain.

I'm going to just do up a website for them and then offer it to them for free ... well basically give me the domain i want and ill put the site up on one of your other domain names that you don't use :) worth a try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by Mickah
    dahamsta :
    His HTML Title is "Domain names for sale - free email accounts." ffs!!!!
    It's a clearcut case of cybersquatting, but $1000 compared to $5000 or lengthy litigation etc., is about the best you can hope for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

$1000 vs adding a limited or dash in the name - I think I'd amend the name somehow instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Mickah, you can try registries and upstreams and all that, but personally I wouldn't be bothered my arse, because they'll all point the finger at each other and eventually towards the UDRP or the courts. The courts would likely cost you more and probably wouldn't get you anywhere anyway (because he's in the UK). The only other thing I can think of is a C&D from a solicitor, but they're not worth the paper they're written on and this guys prolly knows where to file them (the bin).

I guess you have to ask yourself if the domain name is worth over a grand to you.

adam

Cheers guys,
    Yeah dahmasta I'd resigned myself to that question. It just makes me look like a tool telling the client it'll cost him $1000 for a .com domain name.

What really p1sses me off is that the .co.uk, .biz, .info are all taken by various people who aren't using them either.

I reckon the .ie registry got it right, demanding you prove your legal rights to the domain.

Anyhow, I'll stick a "ltd" on the end. Thanks all

Advertisement