Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are Threads/Posts/Forums/Boards?

Options
  • 06-02-2004 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭

Hi my names amp I'd like to talk to you about something that's been getting on my tits lately. Phrases like "We should create a new Java Toaster thread" seem to be in abundance on boards.

Let's look at the structure of boards.ie:

Boards.ie is a collection of boards or forums. Newbie FAQ is a forum. When you enter Newbie FAQ you see rows of Threads. Those threads contain Posts.

Basically then the plural of posts is a thread and the plural of threads is a forum or board. Hence the name of this website is boards.ie.

So when I posted this explanation I automatically created a new thread. If someone replies to this thread then they are posting a reply to it (but not creating a new thread).

I hope this thread increases your enjoyment of boards.ie, it's forums, the threads in those forums and the posts within those threads.

:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

is there a Domo-Kun forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

As you can see, two users have replied with posts to this thread.

SearrarD post is a question about the existence of a Domo-kun forum.Domo-kun is a cult internet icon originating from Japan and popular on another bulletin board called fark.com.

More info on Domo-kun. Apparently you will also enjoy "Smile Big Smack Hamster". And who wouldn't?

Rabies has posted a link to a picture entitled Forums for Dummies. I would reply with a picture entitled Master of The Obvious given that this forum is called Newbie FAQ but I just can't seemed to muster the required effort.

Domo konnichiwa,

amp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Originally posted by amp
    plural of threads is a forum or board.

I would say that a forum is a grouping of threads, or an area for threads, of a specific subject. In other words, forum is a collective term not a plural.

They are a bit like sections in a library.

Thanks for the helpful post amp, the "Can we have a new thread?" threads annoy me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Puck
    I would say that a forum is a grouping of threads, or an area for threads, of a specific subject. In other words, forum is a collective term not a plural.

Well I didn't quite mean it in a definitive english kinda way. I just wanted to explain it a lot in different ways so it would stick in peoples heads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement