Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utv Massive F*ck Up!

Options
  • 06-02-2004 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

Today I received a letter with a half inch thick itemised phone bill from UTV....who's service I cancelled in July LAST YEAR.

How the hell is this *MY* problem? Why should I have to sort this out when it's UTV's responsibility, and more importantly, why should I have to pay this bill?
    I read something similar a few weeks ago on here, and I checked my UTV account online, sure enough, NO activity since August. I don't even live at that address anymore!

REALLY p*ssed off about this....here's the letter:

Deactivation of your telephony service from UTV has not been completed. As part of this process we instructed Eircom to cancel your CPS telephone service on 23 July 2003 and return your calls to Eircom.
    This has still not happened so your calls have continued to be delivered by UTV and we enclose a bill for these charges, in the amount of €611.28

Please note the above bill only includes charges for calls made up to the end of December.
    Until your account is completely deactivated and calls returned to Eircom, you will continue to incur call charges and these will be billed to you in due course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Have you had a bill from eircom for calls? ie not internet calls since July?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I don't live at that address anymore.

The fact is, I cancelled my service with UTV EIGHT MONTHS AGO. Why are they only realising now, and why is it *my* job to deactivate CPS? It's their fault! I'm definitely not paying this bill....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

Two eircom bills is four months without charges, surely if you continued making calls you must've expected something? Aint no free dinners when it comes to the Irish telco markets..

Originally posted by PcP
    Two eircom bills is four months without charges, surely if you continued making calls you must've expected something? Aint no free dinners when it comes to the Irish telco markets..

As I said, I cancelled in JULY. I checked the online account thing last month, there was NO ACTIVITY ON IT. I do not live at that address anymore. I do not own the phone line. It is not my responsibility.
    Who the hell do UTV think they are? Sending me a bill for €600 eight months after I cancelled their service!

Originally posted by eth0_
    As I said, I cancelled in JULY. I checked the online account thing last month, there was NO ACTIVITY ON IT. I do not live at that address anymore. I do not own the phone line. It is not my responsibility.
    Who the hell do UTV think they are? Sending me a bill for €600 eight months after I cancelled their service!

Was there an eircom bill for line rental in your name at that address?
    jd

• Advertisement

Originally posted by jd
    Was there an eircom bill for line rental in your name at that address?
    jd

No. The eircom line was never in my name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Sounds to me like they sent the request to Eircon, Eircon "forgot" to do it and they only figured that out now?

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    Sounds to me like they sent the request to Eircon, Eircon "forgot" to do it and they only figured that out now?

Exactly, yeah. I'm pretty sure this has happened other people on here, i'm 99% sure I saw a similar thread to this recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

Today I received a letter with a half inch thick itemised phone bill from UTV....who's service I cancelled in July LAST YEAR.

so did you give them a call to try sort it out before posting? or did you feel this would be a good excuse to rant!! :ninja:

Originally posted by BoneCollector
    so did you give them a call to try sort it out before posting? or did you feel this would be a good excuse to rant!! :ninja:

Of course I f*cking contacted them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

so your getting charged for the phone calls that the new residents have been making ??? Who is the owner of the line now that you dont live there?

No. The eircom line was never in my name.

Hold on a sec-
    The eircom line was never in your name, so how come you could change the cps on it?
    If I'm missing something here, fill in some detail..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

The fact is, I cancelled my service with UTV EIGHT MONTHS AGO.

do you have hard copy evidence of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

When did you move out? Was it in July or a while after?

Originally posted by Fudger
    do you have hard copy evidence of this?

UTV don't appear to deal in hard copy (except for this bill for €600!). A guy I know in UTV checked and it was cancelled in July. I also have a screenshot showing my last online bill, dated in August (as the last bill payment) for calls made in July.

As for changing the CPS....hello, it's eircom. I've had CPS in my name in two houses i've rented in, and in both cases the eircom line wasn't in my name.

UTV are sorting it out now, apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

O2 tried to bill me under the wrong options package - which would have cost me 100 euro extra

I was supposed to be on international option pack - they said i never changed to that option and i had to pay

but i stood my ground and they backed down - make sure u don't back down with UTV

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by jd
    Hold on a sec-
    The eircom line was never in your name, so how come you could change the cps on it?
    If I'm missing something here, fill in some detail..
    Once you have the account number and phone number eircom will allow you to sign up for anything. Security on that front is appalling tbh.

Originally posted by egan007
    O2 tried to bill me under the wrong options package - which would have cost me 100 euro extra

I was supposed to be on international option pack - they said i never changed to that option and i had to pay

but i stood my ground and they backed down - make sure u don't back down with UTV

heheh, see my thread on business/economy/finance about o2 :)))

Originally posted by seamus
    Once you have the account number and phone number eircom will allow you to sign up for anything. Security on that front is appalling tbh.
    MM there there were two bills going to the house-I'd guess.
    Line Rental in one persons name
    Phone calls in another...
    Someone is liable for the calls made though...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

1; Print out a copy of your 'last' UTV online bill. Especially if it confirms that it is a final bill.

2; Then go and talk to a professional advisor at www.mabs.ie
    or [url][/url] or www.oasis.gov.ie you should find details of your local Citizens Informatin Centre on the 'Oasis' site.

Just my 2cs worth.

Good luck.

P. :ninja:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

You can bring them to the small claims court, it will only cost you a fiver, and they'll get so much bad publicity it will be better for them to just forget about 600 euro even if you owed it to them.

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/justice/small_claims_court/small_claims_court_application_form.html

You can send them a letter (email AND hard copy) explaining your situation and that you're bringing the issue to the court, and copy the more prominent irish newspapers. It could be a boring day and they might be looking for news to fill up the pages. Make sure UTV see that you're sending copies to the links of irish times.

If this happened to me, I would certainly want to make them pay for causing me grief. A simple "oops" wouldn't do, you don't just go charging people 600 euro at random, hoping a few suckers are gonna pick up the bill and give you a nice bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to Nets/Comms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

What I do not understand about this issue is that the bill would probably have been around 25% higher if whoever uses the phone in the house had been going through Eircom. So you got 25% off basically! Lucky. ;)

I do see the problem though, the fact that the billing name is wrong on it, and that Eircom "forgot" to process their request to switch the phone back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

This EXACT thing happened to me.

Total retards. The problem is with a girl there called Emma. No matter how many times you ask her to cancel, she just won't do it.

Originally posted by Johnny Versace
    This EXACT thing happened to me.

Total retards. The problem is with a girl there called Emma. No matter how many times you ask her to cancel, she just won't do it.

What was the outcome Johnny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Well there is a lesson to be learned in this. If this goes to court whoever has the most documentation will win. If you are cancelling a service it is up to you to cancel it in writing and receive an acknowledgement. A phone call and an assumption is not good enough. If you were leaving the residence I would have made sure your bills were in order before the hand over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

What was the outcome Johnny?

There has been no outcome. They keep saying, "Well, we will have to pay for this if you don't", and I say, "IT IS YOUR FAULT, YOU PAY FOR IT."

They can't seem to understand the concept that if it is their fault, they have to pay.

My only concern is, can I get bad credit for this?? As in, they say I was a bad debtor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by Johnny Versace
    There has been no outcome. They keep saying, "Well, we will have to pay for this if you don't", and I say, "IT IS YOUR FAULT, YOU PAY FOR IT."

They can't seem to understand the concept that if it is their fault, they have to pay.

My only concern is, can I get bad credit for this?? As in, they say I was a bad debtor?

No. They cant damage your credit rating as they are not a member of the irish crdit bureau.

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    No. They cant damage your credit rating as they are not a member of the irish crdit bureau.

That's good to know.
    Well, they haven't been in contact with me since so....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Etho weren't you once one of UTV's biggest fans? All those times you bashed me for criticising them;)

Seriously though its one of the problems of the so called paperless society so little documentation so many problems. UTV should surely have a process whereby any cancellations or significant changes to an account are formally acknowledged in writing. There is still a lot to be said for formal procedures!

Advertisement