Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to Sell Domains

Options
  • 06-02-2004 4:17pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a domain name that I registered about 2 years ago that I've never actually used.

I'm tempted to try and sell it, but I really can't think of anywhere to do it?

Its a .com (Irish****.com) that would only appeal to a fairly specific (and very competitive) sector of the IT/Internet industry.

I've looked at some of the domains for sale sites, they are all too general.
    ebay is too US/UK
    ebid isnt even worth the effort filling in the online forms.

I've considered approaching the major players in the specific industry, but it's something I'd really rather not do. My only other thought it to put my own site on the domain, and try and sell advertising/referrals to the major players.

Anybody any other suggestions?

Thanks

Graham
    PS I purposely havent mentioned the domain name cos I dont want to be accused of soliciting a sale through boards.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Why not?

boards.ie has a For Sale board under classifieds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Contact the companies that you will think might be intrested and see what they might offer you, and that way you can get a value of the domain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Hi Buddy,

cos of this section in the FS charter:

Domain names.

Because of the legal complexities regarding the sale of domain names and the potential for trademark or copyright infringement, the sale of Internet domain names is prohibited.

Thanks Sposs, it's beginning to look like that's the only option, I was hoping it wasnt going to come down to that though :(

Is it just the domain name for sale or have you built up traffic through it?

Never sold a domain, didnt remember that rule - sorry.

It's just a domain, no traffic, there's never even been a site on it.

I'm not expecting to retire on the proceeds :D

• Advertisement

Yes, cos perspective purchasers of a pre taken domain might like to have pre built traffic flow.

I guess some people would prefer a thriving web site, others would prefer an unused domain (no chance of negative google ratings etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Excellent site, thanks NeVeR I've asked for an appraisal to see what the experts think.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

I will be honest with you graham its not worth a hell of a lot, sure if a Irish Host went for a .ie instead they would more than likly get a better seo to Irish visitors with the .ie

Also http://www.irishhosts.biz/ is currently a running site, maybe they will buy it from you?

The .net is also free, that would be another down fall.

It would be a great name if it had not got the s at the end of it.

• Advertisement

It's a good domain, would really only suit new entrants to the market as other will have established themselves.

I can see the point of the "s" as I'd think it would be listing the available irish hosts and they're packages etc.

Advertisement