Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourceforge.net Gallery

Options
  • 06-02-2004 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've set up my own server to host my website.

So far, this is what i've done, which has worked out fine until today :
    • Got my DSL connection
    • Got a crappy little pc to act as a server
    • put win 2000 on it
    • installed apache 1.3.29
    • installed php (followed al.l instructions in install.txt cos it didn't automatically configure for apache)
    • got gallery from sourceforge.net (hosting all my digital camera pics)
    • installed and configures

That all went fine, it created the admin user and all and i finished the configuration, and tried to bring up the gallery.

I brings up the index page, but without any css formatting or images.
    If you look at the source of the page you can see the links to the css files and the images are there and if you try to navigate to them you can get them, so i just can't figure out why they dont actually apear on the pages.

I went back to the configuration page, and now it's not showing any css formatting or pictures. Everything is in ugly messy text all over the place.

So basicaly everything was working fine until i clicked the finsh button at the end of the setup. Since i finished the setup, only text pages will show in gallery.

You can see it for yourseld at http://niallbyrne.com/gallery/index.php, and obviously all the files can be seen at http://niallbyrne.com/gallery/.

If anybody can help me, i would greatly apreciate your help.

Thanks

-Niall

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭FreeHost

Is your win 2000 install, the pro version with IIS installed. If so, thats probably causing the problem. It's a while since I've done it but you may have to edit the php.ini file. Get it to use apache rather than IIS. You would have put this file in your windows directory when installing PHP.

Just a suggestion, but a lot of the programmes and scripts from sourceforge etc. are easier to install and configure on linux boxes (IMHO), might be worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭byrnenj

IIS is not enabled on my machine.

I would put linux on the box but i seriously doubt it would run properly. This is a piece of sh!t old gateway mini ATX...it doesn't even have ps/2 ports, only USB.. It used to be a celeron 633 but since yesterday its a p3 933, scraping by on 64 megs of RAM!

Yikes!!!!!! i hear you say! and you know what, you'd be right!

-Niall

Hi-tech, hi-spec, hyundai!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Your CSS file has a full URL which points to a different site than the site the gallery is being served from. Mozilla Firebird, for one, doesn't allow this cross site CSS melarky.

So your niallbyrne.com (64.85.73.x) has a frameset pointing to your DSL IP 213.94.229.x. The gallery files on your DSL server then reference external CSS (back on niallbyrne.com) which is considered to be an altogether different site.

Depending on your browser, you may also run into the same problem with JS and images. Firebird does have an option to load images from the origin server only, for example.

HTH

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Originally posted by byrnenj
    IIS is not enabled on my machine.

I would put linux on the box but i seriously doubt it would run properly. This is a piece of sh!t old gateway mini ATX...it doesn't even have ps/2 ports, only USB.. It used to be a celeron 633 but since yesterday its a p3 933, scraping by on 64 megs of RAM!

If it can run Win2000, it can run linux - something like debian would probably be perfect for what you're after. You don't even need to install a GUI.

Your CSS file has a full URL which points to a different site than the site the gallery is being served from. Mozilla Firebird, for one, doesn't allow this cross site CSS melarky.

So your niallbyrne.com (64.85.73.x) has a frameset pointing to your DSL IP 213.94.229.x. The gallery files on your DSL server then reference external CSS (back on niallbyrne.com) which is considered to be an altogether different site.

My domain is set up with domain forwarding. I should probably just get dns entries.
    64.85.73.x is the IP of the server that forwards the the domain.
    213.94.229.x is my IP address.

Where are you seeing these?
    Is this the reason that i'm not seeing any pics and formatting?
    So i just have to fix a few links to make it work?

Thanks for the help!

• Advertisement

64.85.73.x is the IP of the server that forwards the the domain.
    213.94.229.x is my IP address.
    Sure, so that's why Firebird (haven't tried other browsers) won't load the CSS, because its on a different site.. the links within gallery all refer to "www.niallbyrne.com" .. maybe try and change your gellery config to use the DSL IP address instead.
    Where are you seeing these?
    View source :)
    Is this the reason that i'm not seeing any pics and formatting?
    So i just have to fix a few links to make it work?
    Presumably, .. thats definately a problem, there may be others, that I can't see until that's fixed.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Out of interest, why Win2k? I have a broadband connection, with router running debian Linux, gallery, wondershaper and apache, very happily. Rarely lags and only crashes when there's a power cut.

It's spec?

Pentium 120, 64mb RAM, 15 gig HD.

As an extra bonus, because it's old, it's cooler, getting away silently with passive cooling, and a 150w PSU. Oh, and gallery and apache can be auto-installed using debian apt-get.

But as regards your problem, you're best running everything on one machine and not bother with any remote CSS ****e, it'll save you a lot of effort.

ok, i'll sort out the domain forwarding thing now, see if it makes any difference....fingers crossed.

Out of interest, why Win2k?
    I installed win 2k, cos i have it! Dont have Linux on disk. Will have to download it.
    you're best running everything on one machine and not bother with any remote CSS ****e, it'll save you a lot of effort.
    Everything is running on one machine. The other IP address is the IP of the server of my register!

Originally posted by cgarvey
    Sure, so that's why Firebird (haven't tried other browsers) won't load the CSS, because its on a different site.. the links within gallery all refer to "www.niallbyrne.com" .. maybe try and change your gellery config to use the DSL IP address instead.

.cg
    Genius! That's what you are!
    All working perfectly now. Thanks a million for your help. I'd give you a prize if i had one to give!

I'll take the biscuit! .. I'm no genius but glad I could help... looking forward to the pics ;)

.cg

• Advertisement

actually i have another question for you or anybody else with more brain power than me :

When you try register on the site, it says that it cant find the mail server at localhost on port 25. So i though, hmmmm, i know i'll go into the config and slap in something like mail1.eircom.net instead...but that option isn't there.

Does anybody know where to set the mail server setting...is it in the apache config, php.ini, gallery settings somewhere unseen?

Or do i have to get a mail server and set it up on my server...which i presume isn't such a big deal. Is there small mail servers that will do the job?

Thanks again!

Now see, I told you I wasn't a genius ... two possiblities...

1) Edit your mail config in php.ini like you say ..
    [mail function]
    ; For Win32 only.
    SMTP = localhost

you could try and change that.

2) Setup an SMTP server on your machine (hint: don't make it acessible to the public) .. Win2k comes with an optional SMTP service IIRC, in with the IIS mix.

.cg

It's all good!

Thanks for your help CG!

P.S. http://niallbyrne.com/gallery hint hint, nudge nudge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

You need to add index.php to your DirectoryIndex line in httpd.conf

.cg

Advertisement