Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelcon 2004 ideas

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Ameirgin
    The other way of running round one is not to have either side defending/attacking the planet. Have both fleets attempting to cover their landing forces - both are fighting over an unoccupied world - making it an open scrap, as it were.

Not bad. not bad at all

I think the trick is to make the first round actually have an effect on the second, thus representing a campaign style tournament, and making it everything to play for in each round.

That's what I was thinking. Now to try and implement it effectively :D

Of course Lemming - you've got to run it, and you've got to find people to GM it (rather than play it, which is what I'd want to do) - so the key is to make it simple to run but fun to play.

hehe. I'll still need people to playtest it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Ameirgin

hehe. I'll still need people to playtest it ;)

Why do I get the feeling that's hint, huh? Oh well...me and my big mouth :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Well, we've a few months for testing stuff yet.

The idea of the campaign system is interesting, but I'm not sure how practical it would be in a short tournament. You can't make the advantages gained too great, otherwise if someone gets creamed in their first game they'll have no chance to come back in the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

did i miss anything?

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by RogueDotC
    did i miss anything?

:P

Not at all DotC. In fact you're just in time ...... ;)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by hairyheretic
    The idea of the campaign system is interesting, but I'm not sure how practical it would be in a short tournament. You can't make the advantages gained too great, otherwise if someone gets creamed in their first game they'll have no chance to come back in the others.

You could do it on a sliding points scale - each player gets, say, 1500 points in the W40K game. For each 50 victory points that you win by in the BfG section gives you 50 additional victory points in the W40K section - or something like that. But it has to be a clear 50 points - 'part of' doesn't count. As most games don't actually have that much of a margin, then you wouldn't be overly hampering the second section. Also, you could say that overall victory is dependant on the total scored in the second half, with ties being decided by the score of the first half.

It's not going to please all of the people - you will always have whingers - but it should at least provide for an enjoyable tournament. And if you make it team play - player 1 playes the first half (BfG) and player 2 the second (W40K), then you can increase the atmosphere further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭OmeGar

I know we did something like that at Dominicon. it was great, however the BFG game ran at the same time......so it affected the game below.

It was cool......

My idea of this would have the two games running together in each round, with some interaction between the two tables.

Another thought .... unblanced forces.

"Each team must select 2000 points from their respective 40k and BfG lists, with a minimum of 750 points from each."

Would you choose to take a weaker BfG list to boost your chances in 40k, vice versa, or make it roughly equal.

Would games like this be more interesting, but still (reasonably) blanced?

Thoughts?

Hmmmm.....that's an interesting idea, though I would probably increase the overall points value to, say, 3000 or so points (averaging at 1500 per force). But I would keep the 750 point lower limit on each force.

I think games like this have the potential to be very unbalanced, but the decision is in teh hands of theplayers. They can't say they lost points in game b because of game a - if they don't have the required forces to do the job, it's because they chose to invest elsewhere.

1000 point forces mean we should be able to fit in 3 games in a single day without making things too rushed.

3 games at 1500 points is do-able, but a lot tighter on time.

Besides, for trying odd stuff lke this, I'd prefer to start small, and maybe incrase it once the bugs were worked out.

If it were to go to 1500 points, I think I'd have a requirement of 1000 points (maybe more) be assigned to each force. I'd prefer to try it at 1000 points though.

I might see if I can work up a few scenarios around this idea, and try them out at the Guild or something. Anyone else interested in trying whatever I come up with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭OmeGar

What about people who have one army, but not hte fleet to go with it (or in my case the other way around?)

Do many people have BFG fleets?

Would it be possible to even have just a BFG tournememnt?

This is why I would be looking at this as a team event. This way you only need one of the two players with a BfG fleet, and one with a 40k army.

That being said, there's nothing to stop either player from playing in either game. The fleet and army list would have to stay fixed though.

I know a good number of people with BfG fleets, though they tend to play more with their 40k forces.

I'm not sure how a BfG tournament would go.

Advertisement