Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email Constipation on 56k

Options
  • 06-02-2004 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

I am trying to download my mail over a 56k modem using Outlook Express. Its a POP3 account. Unfortunately someone has sent me a humungous mail and it has got stuck in the pipe effectively preventing me from getting my mails.

Does Outlook Express have a facility to preview mails before downloading them? That way I could skip the biggies until I get a a better connection. I have used this facility on Outlook but I cannot find it on Express.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Program called jbmail will allow you to go into the account on the server and see just the header. You can then download or open whatever mails and delete them too.
    In regards skipping mail. I dunno. Maybe someone else has something for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

else try

if its @eircom.net

if its @iol.ie

if its @esatclear.ie

if its @iolfree.ie

if its @vodafone.ie

ect,ect

ps
    Email Constipation

lol,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

telnet to the mail server on 110
    login

and delete what you don't want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i use www.mail2web.com for that kind of carryon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I don't know anything about the above site, but it sure looks like a great way to harvest usernames and passwords, plus active email addresses for spam lists.

I'd be wary of giving my username and password to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭raster

Originally posted by Stephen
    I don't know anything about the above site, but it sure looks like a great way to harvest usernames and passwords, plus active email addresses for spam lists.

I ALWAYS change my user/pass after using those things

(actually a nice hosting feature would be a log of POP3 110 connections, with dates and times, to see if they check secretly later)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Stephen

good point about the username/password harvesting...
    i can, however, vouch for them not signing me up for any spam

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

OK This conversation has already gone over my head but in response to various suggestions:

webmail not an option - this is a pop only account

mail2web sounds tempting but I'm slightly concerned about security situation

Haven't heard of jbmail - may check it out - not sure if I want to switch to yet another email client though.

telnet and login - now that sounds kinda fun. I used to use telnet about 50 years ago when connecting to mainframe systems. How does one use telnet on windows? Is there a built in telnet facility or do I have to download some thing?

thanks for the responses people.

Use jbmail instead of telnet. It much much easier. Trust me I used it in work and we had to worst mail servers ever really. As for having to switch over? Eh no the idea is that it just for on the go or for deleting things in the mail account and fixing problems.

Originally posted by Mad Mike
    OK This conversation has already gone over my head but in response to various suggestions:

webmail not an option - this is a pop only account

mail2web sounds tempting but I'm slightly concerned about security situation

Haven't heard of jbmail - may check it out - not sure if I want to switch to yet another email client though.

telnet and login - now that sounds kinda fun. I used to use telnet about 50 years ago when connecting to mainframe systems. How does one use telnet on windows? Is there a built in telnet facility or do I have to download some thing?

thanks for the responses people.

Start>run>telnet

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Ryaner
    Use jbmail instead of telnet. It much much easier. Trust me I used it in work and we had to worst mail servers ever really. As for having to switch over? Eh no the idea is that it just for on the go or for deleting things in the mail account and fixing problems.

yeh starting telnet can be very confusing/hard it's a big word :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭ando

can you not just ring your ISP and give them your username and password, and tell them to remove the cause of the constipation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Whoopee Telnet saves the day.

I know its antiquated and awkward to use but it brings me back to another life. Back in the early 1980's I used telnet type programmes to connect to Arpanet computers in the states. I remember here was a huge file server in "White Sands Missile Base" that had all kinds of free stufff for download. Back in those innocent days we thought that text based adventure programmes were computing Nirvana.

Originally posted by ando
    can you not just ring your ISP and give them your username and password, and tell them to remove the cause of the constipation ?

I work for an isp in Englang and we did the mail fixing alot. Trust me it much better to do it yourself because on these desks it can sometimes take ages.
    Time costs you money on the desks

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

irish based host.ie will let you access any e-mail account. I use it all the time.

Advertisement