Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus and Mp3 based players

• 06-02-2004 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭

read this in the computers in business magazine last week and just caught a glimpse.

it said that aer lingus is the only airline to banned ipods and mp3 players.

any1 know why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Probley due to there fear of interference to the planes electrical systems from the MP3 player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Yeah sure your not allowed to use any battery based items on a plane are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

That's a load of ****... You can use DVD Players and laptops when the plane is airborne.

Who knows why you cant, electrical items dont cause problems, it's lazer operated items and digital signal Items, such as mobile phones.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

thats insane. What do they think will happen? Do they think the mp3 player will suddenly take over the com system, and everyone will hear megadeath blasting over the intercom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

DVD players on laptops aren't permitted, but they cabin crew really don't care because there's so many people using avi's and divx's that they can't really say it to everyone.

I don't believe that any electrical equipment really interfere's with the planes' electical systems.

Numerous times coming into land I've heard phones beep and never has there been a problem, also if you think about it...AWACS (the US military planes with all the radar equipment on board has tons of electrical equipment in the cabin of them....and the instruments in the cockpit are still the bog standard ones you find on civil airliners.....?

It seems Aer Lingus are against the element of enjoyment on board their planes, think about it......one screen for every 20 or so rows on the transatlantic planes (bar one A330-200), no choice really on what you can watch. So if your not using an IPOD or MP3 player at least your listening to their music which possibly could be paid advertisement music anyway...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

I was using a GBA on a flight a while ago and was told that i couldnt....

To be honest I fly every few months, and I use a laptop ever time.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

strangely ryanair permit the use of gba's.....different strokes i guess, it could be even crew specific, if one of them is a moany awl' one (aer lingus of course) who doesn't keep up to date with things they'll tell you that you can't use them

again....my point on enjoyment, they hate seeing other people happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by Venom
    Probley due to there fear of interference to the planes electrical systems from the MP3 player.

it was led to believe this until i saw a chart done in the magazine.

all major eurpean (sp) airline allowed electronic equipment like laptops, personal dvd players, GBA's, mp3 players and mobile phones when the doors are open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by Henry_14
    I was using a GBA on a flight a while ago and was told that i couldnt....

Why the hell have a GBA if you can't use it on a plane anyway? I mean, what is up with Aer Lingus and conventional electronic equipment? Last time I remember I was listening to my iPod in my teeny-weeny seat and everything was just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Just to bring everyone up on the facts these regulations aren't determined by Aer Lingus but the IAA (Irish Aviation Authority) so don't go blaming them. Ryanair are held to the same standards.

There's no particular logic to some of the rules though since cd-players are banned at all times but cd-roms in laptops can be used except during take-off, approach and landing.

Ipods, mp3 players and other solid-state (or hard drive based) players are fine you should not have been told not to use them. Bear in mind though many of the crew aren't exactly technically minded so if it's not obviously a tape player (and how many of us use them anymore :rolleyes: ) they'll presume it's banned.

Use away just don't flash the thing around and remember if you're directed to stop using it (whatever it is) you're aren't in a legal position to refuse. You can bring it up afterwards as a customer service issue of course and I have followed up use of mp3 players in the past and been promised crew would be advised (sure......).

Mobile phones should never be used once the doors of the aircraft have been closed. There is ample evidence of interference and considerable evidence that it lead to the downing of a jet some years ago in korea (basically after a second rejected landing in extremely bad weather the Captain announced he would have to divert, seconds later lost control of the aircraft. Logs later showed over 20 simultanous connections from pax mobiles on-board at exactly the moment control was lost as they attempted to call people to tell them they would be delayed etc..)

We take our safety flying waaayy too much for granted.... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

I flew Aer Lingus from Chicago to Shannon two months ago and I was using my Ipod for the whole flight without any problems.

Also I was sitting in the very back row of the Airbus in front of the cabin staff's galley and all the trollie dollies would have seen me using the Ipod so is this a new rule?

Originally posted by ElNino
    I flew Aer Lingus from Chicago to Shannon two months ago and I was using my Ipod for the whole flight without any problems.

Also I was sitting in the very back row of the Airbus in front of the cabin staff's galley and all the trollie dollies would have seen me using the Ipod so is this a new rule?

Nope no new rule, they're fine to use on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Just so you know..

99% of the electrical devices cause havoc on airplanes. Even the stuff that they say is ok.

However when the plane is in the air it is easier to deal with your computers relaying back BS information due to interferance.

Take off and landing, having your altitude meter suddenly dropping you by a couple of hundred feet is probably not a good thing.

Some stuff your allowed, but if the pilot complains you are better off stopping what you are doing, unless you like dying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Just so you know..

99% of the electrical devices cause havoc on airplanes. Even the stuff that they say is ok.

That's a fairly broad statement. What do you mean?

I too have a GBA an would love to use it on an Aer Lingus flight. I have used my PDA which arguably would cause more interference due to the touch screen. I have never been asked to switch it off.

Also, I flew Delta recently and they had nothing about GB's - only the obvious ones such as remote controlled cars and laser controlled equipment (DVD players).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

went over to england myself last week had no probloms with using my laptop /cd player apart from when the doors were open . i was told that when the plane was in air i could use it but not b4 . i was very confused .

but then after everone was on the plane i was wondering if they want ppl to use the laptops on the plane and try and make there airline open to business ppl with them why have seats that wont allow the room to propperly use them

Part of the problem is no-one is prepared to spend any money to determine just how bad the problem is with any given piece of hardware in any given situation, obviously the permutations are huge and to get any kind of comprehesive result would mean spending a fortune.

Much cheaper to say NO you're not allowed use that. :(

Also (as in the Delta example) there is little consultation between countries about what should/shouldn't be allowed (a reminder, this is an IAA (Irish Aviation Authority) issue not one determined by the individual airline). The FAA (U.S. equivalent) think differently.

It's coming to a head though with some Airlines introducing things like on-board wireless internet (Lufthansa) which you can be damn sure cause more potential interfence that your GBA! :D Of course they'll have the relevant protection for cockpit instruments.

Imho I err on the side of caution on these things though. I'd rather do without the gadget for the flight than contribute to a nasty situation whatever the odds are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

I was listening to my iPod while flying to France on Aer Lingus just over a week ago (27th) and nothing was said to me?

Did anyone think that maybe playing music disturbs other people?

John

• Registered Users Posts: 35 jondom

Whats a GBA??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

GBA= Game boy Advance - held held console

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭BigO

ah,

i won't risk usin mine!
    better safe than sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I watched movies on my laptop on a couple of flights to from and around the states last year. Only Delta on the flight over told me I could not watch DVDs on the plane. When I told her the movies were on the hard drive, not an optical disc, she said it was fine.
    Aer Lingus had a different way of dealing with it on the flight back to Ireland. They give you so little damn room that you can't open the laptop more than about 25 degrees if the person in front of you has their seat reclined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by Lump

John

Well if the music disturbs other people then that's a different matter, but aer Lingus are banning MP3 PLAYERS not music players, WHY?!?

Is it because of the hard drives? - They have no problem with you using a laptop, which contains a hard-drive that spins at much faster rates than any MP3 player.

Is it something to the with the battery? - Ditto for laptops and you can't actually turn an iPod off anyway (unless you drain the battery)

Is it someting to do with noise? - Well I don't think they would have a problem with you using a casette player.

There are no lasers (unlike CD Players\CD-ROMs) in MP3 players, it would be great if airlines were asked to justify their stupid rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by daveyjoe

it would be great if airlines were asked to justify their stupid rules.

Agreed.

I think it is more err on the side of caution. They don't know what effect it will have on the aircraft, so they ban it.

Much easier than putting together a list.

Well if the music disturbs other people then that's a different matter, but aer Lingus are banning MP3 PLAYERS not music players, WHY?!?

They don't. You can use MP3 players.
    There are no lasers (unlike CD Players\CD-ROMs) in MP3 players, it would be great if airlines were asked to justify their stupid rules.

The airlines abide by goverment aviation authority rules they don't creat them.

[ :rolleyes: also i'm beginning to notice a trend where people completely ignore any post following the first one and just respond to that instead :D ]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by Bluehair
    They don't. You can use MP3 players.

The airlines abide by goverment aviation authority rules they don't creat them.

[ :rolleyes: also i'm beginning to notice a trend where people completely ignore any post following the first one and just respond to that instead :D ]

I did read through all the posts but no-one answered the very first statement
    ... aer lingus is the only airline to ban ipods and mp3 players.

You stated aviation laws, but neither you nor anyone else said that the statement is incorrect. Is this statement in the article ill informed? Did the poster mis-quote the article?

(I'm trying not to get off topic, I just explain where I'm coming from)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

They're probably afraid it'll be a tactical nuke or some such bull****, of course you cant complain or you'll be shot as a terrorist.

Best thing you can do on a plane is sleep.

Out of curiosity where are those aviation laws?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I read in the paper that these rules were set down in 1993 before there was such thing as MP3 players or DVD players and Aer lingus did not see any reason to change them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭pgodkin

Originally posted by Lump

only bad music!! but thats down to personal taste!!!!!
    but what would the airlines caried for your perosnal comfort! if they did they wouldn't make the freakin leg room space so small!!

I taught that the only gaget you weren't allowed to use on the plane was a phone because it interfered with the air crafts own radio and stuff, but then i read that news article in the suday business post and was kind of surprised!! this is kind of the reason u have these kind of things to pass away the time in long flights!!!

i supose this is a stupid Q but is it only ipods or all mp3 players?

Philip:cool:

Advertisement