Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus and Mp3 based players

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

The ban on mobile Phone is a load of rubbish
    There is NO proof that they can have any effect on any thing like navigation system
    Nor do they affect other critical systems
    The most is they might make the crew headphones crackle
    Same way they do if you leave your phone beside your speaker.
    the ban has more to do with US airlines chargeing up to $6 a min to use
    there onboard phones than the chance of somone crashing the plane.

newscientist.com "Flight from reality"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Originally posted by daveyjoe
    You stated aviation laws, but neither you nor anyone else said that the statement is incorrect. Is this statement in the article ill informed? Did the poster mis-quote the article?

(I'm trying not to get off topic, I just explain where I'm coming from)

No less than three times so far have I pointed out that mp3 players are not banned.

Having not seen the article I would guess that it was ill-researched since Aer Lingus have no such policy.

The problem as I see it is mainly that most crew do not have the relevant training to differenciate between these devices, even if they knew what they were (by the way this is not meant to be insulting to cabin crew but a great majority do not know themselves if mp3 players are permitted never mind what they might look/like or how they work. They will assume they are not allowed.)

My advice is simply use away but do so discretely. Obviously don't use your mobile though.

Btw Coyote per the link you posted;

"But the committee heard that using cellphones in planes may indeed pose a risk, albeit a slight one."
    "This doesn't mean "mission critical" equipment such as the navigation system and flight controls. But the devices that could be affected, such as smoke detectors and fuel level indicators, could still create serious problems for the flight crew if they malfunction."
    "n 1996, RTCA, a consultant hired by the Federal Aviation Administration in the US to conduct tests, determined that potential problems from personal electronic devices were "low". Nevertheless, it recommended a ban on their use during "critical" periods of flight, such as take-off and landing. RTCA didn't actually test cellphones, but nevertheless recommended their wholesale ban on flights."

Hardly a load of old rubbish :)

Bear in mind here that this is about maximum reduction of potential risk, i.e. doing everything possible to save your life and avoid accidents. Whilst you might believe there is no proof they have a critical effect neither is there conclusive proof that they do not.

Its not by co-incidence that aviation is the safest form of travel and this is part of that process. I'm the first to complain and demand my consumer rights but where safety is concerned I'll happily put my mobile away for the duration of any flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

The ban on mobile Phone is a load of rubbish

Mobile phones can be used until the doors are closed. This you will find in the in-flight magazine. Takeoff, Approach and Landing; ALL electronic equipment must be switched off. At all times Mobile phones, radio transmitters/receivers, GPS receivers, Laser emitting devices (cd/DVD players etc) are banned. Ipods should not be banned. I think it is only a misinterpreted rule by a crewmember. Query it.

There are variations of these rules with every airline, but this is broadly accurate.
    If you need to make a point just take out the safety card or in-flight magazine to prove it. However if they insist, you have no option but to obey a lawful command from a crewmember.

As for mobile phones. They dont work anyway. So what's the point. The aircraft is doing mach .79, at 36000 feet over the ocean. It aint gonna get any reception. The only time you will is either on final approach or in a holding pattern at low speed and altitude over a city. If you ever leave your phone on by accident, the first you will know of it is a welcome message on the final approach of just after landing. Trust me.

As for the interference.... well i am pro-technology. I think it has very little impact, but still agree with it. Ever had your phone ring beside your computer? The screen goes mental and the speakers scream. Now imagine 200-400 phones struggling to get reception(so therefore on high power output) , getting and receiving calls etc all inside a metal tube packed full of sensitive computers and electronic motors. The potential for interference is immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

I was allowed to use my Minidisc player on Ryanair flights, but there were flying between Stansted and Spain. I actually asked permission, just in case, and was told it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

To be honest a minidisc player is not ok by the rules.

It uses lasers. All that happened is that the tech knowledge of the crewmember wasnt up to scratch. After all they arent trained to know this stuff. Thats why there seems to be such a disparity in the rules applied from flight to flight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Dalamar

It's how the equipment is made that determines how it gets affected by mobile phones. My expensive 17" screen isn't affect by mobiles in the slightest. My speakers are barely. Their probably covering their asses completely by banning electrical devices.

But how does a almost completely enclosed laser affect a plane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

It has been well documented that mobile phones can interfere with an aircraft's transponder (the device that indentifies the aircraft on air traffic control radar).

I'm not sure what the reasoning is for banning laser devices, such as CD players. I'm sure there is a good reason though.:dunno:

Advertisement