Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing my Rotties to the Auld Sod

Options
  • 06-02-2004 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I have 6 Rottweilers here in Venezuela and we are coming soon to Ireland, what do we need to bring at least two of the pooches?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Enilorac

Sadly Venezuela doesn't seem to be one of the countries included in the Pet Passport Scheme http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

So this means your dogs will probably have to go into quarantine for 6 months. Is it worth it?

You'll probably need an import permit from the Department of Agriculture here in Ireland. And an Export Certificate from your own country.

The dog will need a health check prior to flying...to ascertain that it is healthy enough to travel, and is not carrying any communicable diseases.

Upon landing here in ireland, it'll go straight into quarantine....and that's it basically, for 6 months.

Are you moving over here, or just visiting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Brojees

Thank you, we will be moving to Ireland. I currently raise rotties and I would like to bring my best brood bitch and a wee dwarf rotty that we have as a pet. The idea of course being I could use her to start breeding in Ireland. I assume Rotties are well accepted there.

I have the papers for them to leave here, but Iwill see about obtaining the papers to arrive there. Your information though is invalueable as it has allowed me to decide we will come first and then return for the pooches later.

Thank you

Brojees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Enilorac

Hi Brojees

If you have a look at www.ikc.ie and go to the 'Buying a Dog' section, you'll find a list of Breed Clubs, and the contact details for the club secretaries. If you contact whoever is listed for your breed, she can give you all the info you'll need on breeding and showing Rotties over here.
    Providing your dogs are registered with your national Kennel Club organisation there should be no problems transferring their registrations to the Irish Kennel Club.

The quarantine is a pain, and i don't think it is fair on the dogs, but sadly that's the law :o(
    I beleive there is a way of quarantining the dog on your property, but I think the dog still has to be in a secure enclosure, and cannot come out of it for any reason during the 6 months. that might be a way of making the quarantine more bearable. can't remember where i read that though. have a good look through the Defra website again...another thought, it might not be allowed here in ireland. try a google, and contact the Irish Department of Agriculture, and see if they can give you any more relevant info.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Brojees

Thanks again. I will investigate.

Yes my pooches are all registered with the Federacion Canina de Venezuela which ahs reciprocity with all legitimate kennel clubs world wide.

Advertisement