Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Big engined scooters & licences?

Options
  • 07-02-2004 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

I know you can drive a 50cc scooter on a driving licence, but what do you need for the bigger scooters, the 125cc.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I assume you mean on a car licence, then you can operate a bike up to 125cc. Anything above that and you need the correct licence (A or A1 or something). IIRC this would also a provisional licence so you would in time need to do a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I assume you mean on a car licence, then you can operate a bike up to 125cc

when i was buying my bike the guy in the shop told me a car licence was only good for bikes up to 50cc...but i could be wrong

if youre looking for a bigger scooter and youre over 25 apply for a class A licence

i'm 25 with a class A and ride a 200cc vespa, the important thing is the power of the bike

at the moment i cant ride anything bigger that 33BHP or 25kw, but that changes if i get a full licence (51 weeks and counting to the test)

i think if your under 25 you have to take the A1 licence then youre stuck on 125's for something like 2 years

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

0-50 cc (moped brigade) are a new category (M)
    51-125cc is category A1
    >125cc Category A
    (see www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/full_motorcycle_driving_licences_in_ireland.html)

My licence (got a good while back now) allows me to operate A1 & W (tractors) as well as cars.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Ignore all that has been said already, it could land you in trouble with the law. Anyone who honestly doesn't have a clue should not be offering you an opinion!

You CANNOT ride a 125cc scooter on a full car license!
    The MAX for a full car license is a 50 cc scooter that can go no faster than 45Km/h.

Forget about the A1 license, the only people who would want to apply for an A1 license are people who are 17 years old.

Anyone over 18 can apply for a provisional A license. This limits you to motorcycles/scooters with a power output not exceeding 33bhp. Therefore, you can ride your 125cc scooter on this license. In order to sit and pass the test, you will need a vehicle with an engine capacity of 150cc or more. These can be rented from ISM.

Odds are if you get a 125cc scooter, you may find yourself upgrading before long, so get the A from the outset. Put the A1 category on your license as well, in case when you do the test you only still have the 125. If you pass the A1 test you will be restricted to 125's on your full license, and to go any bigger you will need to get an A license anyway.

But just to reiterate, do NOT buy a 125cc moped on your full car license..(!!!!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

If you follow the link kbannon posted, it says
    *If you already hold a full driving licence for Category B (cars) and/or either Category A or A1, you are automatically licensed to drive Category M vehicles.

Spockety is correct. But beware that if you want to drive a scooter with an engine over 125cc, you have to have an A licence.

I believe a scooter licence will have a restriction on it the same as if you do your car driving test in an automatic car. But I cannot find anything to substantiate this at the moment. Have had my car licence so long, it doesn't apply to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Also in today's Irish Independent
    the automatic entitlement of car licence (B) to cover you for small mopeds (licence M) will be removed.
    This is because there will be compulsory basic training (CBT) sometime this year before you'll be allowed onto the road. Pre-cursor to car CBT, but I'd expect car CBT will be sometime next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Originally posted by giftgrub
    when i was buying my bike the guy in the shop told me a car licence was only good for bikes up to 50cc...but i could be wrong

if youre looking for a bigger scooter and youre over 25 apply for a class A licence

i'm 25 with a class A and ride a 200cc vespa, the important thing is the power of the bike

at the moment i cant ride anything bigger that 33BHP or 25kw, but that changes if i get a full licence (51 weeks and counting to the test)

i think if your under 25 you have to take the A1 licence then youre stuck on 125's for something like 2 years

No offence mate, but please don't offer advice unless you are certain about what you are saying. The above advice is complete bollox and won't help the original poster. The only valid piece was the first sentence.

How d'ya like that Vespa btw? had a spin on one and tis grand commuting transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

If you check that little white insert that should have come with your licence (explaining what the codes and such on your licence mean), you'll see that it says persons with a Full B Licence (cars) anre covered to drive categories M and W (Tractors and motorcycles up to 50CC only) - NOT 125 CC.

Or just ring your local Motor Tax office - certainly don't rely on what some guy in a shop tell you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

It depends how old your licence is. If the last time you renewed it is about 5 years or more ago, it probably still allows you to drive 125's meeting the A1 licence limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Stephen
    It depends how old your licence is. If the last time you renewed it is about 5 years or more ago, it probably still allows you to drive 125's meeting the A1 licence limits.

Just checking...

Mine was last renewed 8 years ago and only valid categories are B (cars) and W (tractors)

So apart from these I can only drive a moped (<50cc) :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement