Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car heater problem

Options
  • 07-02-2004 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

I had this problem on an old golf and now have it on an old fiesta, but can't remember what it is. Basically there no heat off the internal heater, its giving out weird fumes and the windscreen is constantly misting up. I think its some thing to do with a leak in the heater system and the liquid within is leaking out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Your heater matrix has sprung a leak I'm afraid to say. It'll be an afternoons work and a few hundred euro at a non-franchise garage (double for franchise)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Had the same problem in our vectra the other week. Water was leaking from the radiator into the car (we think it was the mechanic fixing the handbrake). Aul lad got a Redex branded bottle (i think) that you pour into the radiator and it seals the leak.

Any quality motor store should have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by mike65
    Your heater matrix has sprung a leak I'm afraid to say. It'll be an afternoons work and a few hundred euro at a non-franchise garage (double for franchise)

Mike.

Ah heater matrix thats it. Only problem is the cars not really worth much being a '91 fiesta, but the NCT is up on Sat would you believe it! I don't think its a NCT failure item but to be honest it makes the car undrivable as its impossible to keep the windows clear. Whats in the liquid thats in the Matrix

I doubt rad weld or similair will work if the water is actually in the car...the steam is quite simply HOT WATER! Its straight from the engine after all, you can proberly smell anti-freeze too (assuming your car had any to start with) Have you been topping up the header tank for a while?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

We just poured the sealer in on top of the water. It worked. No floods in the car now.

• Advertisement

I doubt rad weld or similair will work if the water is actually in the car...the steam is quite simply HOT WATER! Its straight from the engine after all, you can proberly smell anti-freeze too (assuming your car had any to start with) Have you been topping up the header tank for a while?

Mike.

Does the heater matrix use the same water as the radiator? or is it a sperate system. I had steam coming from under the dash which is a bit unnerving in rush hour traffic. I check my header tank and it doesn't seem any lower to be honest. Though I can smell the anti freeze now that you mention it.

Might be time to ditch the car and buy a scooter & bicycle. Something I had been putting on the long finger while the car was still running.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Yep they do use the same water as the rad.
    The name of that stuff is radweld.Sometimes works.You may need to use more than one bottle though.
    You refill the system and then put this stuff in.It works by a reaction with the air.It goes through the sealed system and when it comes in to contact with the air at the leak it expands and fills the hole.
    Its worth a try because a new matrix is a fairly big job to get done-*--half the dash has to come out!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I wouldn't recommend the use of Radweld or any similar products. In my experience these tend to cause blockages and gunging up in the cooling system (result: overheating) and are only a temporary fix for any leaks.

It's not an NCT failure to have a non-working heater.

Anyhow, it should be a reasonably OK job to change a heater matrix on a 91 Fiesta. Probably involves removing part/all of dashboard. However it's a job that can be done DIY at home. Doesn't require much mechanical knowledge or tools. It may seem like a daunting task but you just have to bite the bullet :) You're lucky that you have a fairly old and simple car - if you had somtheing with lots of electronics and air conditioning and airbags the job would be a nightmare. The matrix itself will probably cost around 30-50 quid plus 20 quid for new coolant. Give yourself a weekend to do the work. Get a mechanically minded friend to help :)

There may be instructions on how to remove dash/change matrix in a Haynes manual.

If you're not in a position to change the matrix, there is a temporary fix to stop the leaks by bypassing the matrix. The idea is to join up the inlet and outlet hoses that attach to the matrix (these hoses will be accessible under the bonnet). Maybe get a u-shaped length of copper pipe and place in into the hoses and secure them with jubilee clips. You'll have no heater but you'll also be bypassing the leaky matrix.

BrianD3

My Merc 190e had a leaky matrix proberly from when I bought it last June, as the weather turned in the autumn
    I realised I had a problem of some sort but was kind of praying it wasnt the matrix. But as the temp dropped and the windows misted over I had to get it done. I never had a flood of hot water inside the car but even a tiny leak plays havoc.

The matrix cost €100 and the labour at a country garage €320. The whole dash and heater unit had to come out. It looked truely scary to see everything exposed! Anyway it had to be done and once everything had dried out all has been well.

Mike.

All good points and the advise is appreciated. I simply don't have the time to fix this myself and to be honest the car is a bit of heap and I hate the thing. If it passes the NCT next weekend I might do something with the heater matrix. If it doesn't which is likely due to emissions and electrical problems, then I'll just junk it. If it passes then one suggestion my local mechanic said was to only disconnect the pipe into the heater matrix and only pass the radweld in there. That should minimise the effect on the rest of the system. But as we are coming into the summer disconnecting the heater complete sounds like a good idea. I was thinking of getting a moped anyway. The city is a disaster for communting in a car these days.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    ut as we are coming into the summer disconnecting the heater complete sounds like a good idea. I was thinking of getting a moped anyway. The city is a disaster for communting in a car these days.

Its Febuary! :) Get a bike....quicker allround I'm sure.

Mike.

Its Febuary! :) Get a bike....quicker allround I'm sure.

Mike.

I doubt that a bike is quicker than a scooter.

That said I'm getting my bike ready so I can use it aswell. Due to some old injuries I doubt I'd be able to do it every day though.

Advertisement