Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC part2 [updated]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Those Shuttle Spacewalker runs very hot, and you wont be able to use the coolermaster Aero lite in it, the case comes with a heat sink & fan designed using heat pipes.
    Your also gona be running a 9800 Pro & XP2500 from the power supply used in the case, I would not recommend this you will have problems when running power intensive applications e.g. Games etc...

The Power for these cases is only 200Watts, so I would reconsider.

Thanks joePC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

I read a review of the case , and they did some spec test etc. and they used a 9800 in it and said it was fine , and that psu was fine also.
    bazH also said the psu manages fine. I personnaly dont have any past experiecne etc. but this would be a major problem so any one else know?

adam

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I hadn't realized those shuttle cases were that reasonable, i've been thinking of getting one at some stage, as the fiance is woefully unimpressed with my largish midi-tower not fitting on the shelf under the desk. (Had to get a small desk, didn't she) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

What are samsung like for hard drives? I heard complaints about them. I have Western Digitals myself, no problems with them. Seagates generate alot of heat i hear.

Get a quality hard drive, save yourself a headache

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Western Digital is a good plan, Maxtors are generally considered to be too warm for shuttles.

Agreed though, a 9800pro is going to put the PSU under serious pressure, I'd suggest the cheaper 9600pro instead. Geforces above 5600 are also a no-go.

You can put your money from the cheaper GFX card to go up a gig of RAM, games always benefit from it, and as textures get prittier, so too will the amount of ram they consume.

Finally, the king of LCDs is the Prophetview 17" available from overclockers. It's not cheap tho....

• Advertisement

Ive spoken to people with that shuttle case and they say theirs is fine with 9800pro , are you's just assuming it will be very hot and but PSU under pressure?or actually know for sure or had past experience? cause Im confused now , with different people sayin different things. Also remember reading a review , and they had xp3200+ and 9800pro and they said it was fine.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Personally i think that power is going to be the only dodgy point..... mabye a "silent" higher power PSU would be a good idea.

Samsungs hard drives have been getting very good reviews from what ive seen, but you will always get the other end too....... ive just got 2x160gb SATA Samsungs in the past day to replace my WD drive.

The WD's are great performers but tend to be noisey which is why ive changed (just need power adapters). Samsung seem to be nearly as quiet as the Seagates, pretty good performers and stay reasonably cool. People that have them on the boards seem to love them.

As reguards the 9800pro, i havent heard of anyone who had serious (or any) problems with it in the shuttle........ its very cheap now so even if you have to change the cooling slightly id still stick with it TBH...... specially if your gaming.
    Its €220 on www.jes-computer.de (really want to let people know that, cause it sucks when you pay too much or just bought a 9700pro for more ;) )

Think Ill be kay if I get the 250watt silentX PSU?
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Shuttle_102.html
    < E57 >

and also , i noted that when looking at overclockers.uk that your only coverd for like 40quid on deliverys , so if your product gets broke in transit you only get 40quid back?
    anyone know of this or is it a big problem?

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i reckon you'll be fine with the power supply and the radeon 9800 pro, i read a good thread on overclockers.co.uk recently about shuttle power supplies but i can't seem to find it, the power supplies where meant to be quality

taken from www.anandtech.com for a pentium shuttle running a 3.0ghz processor and a 9800 pro

"No, your eyes are not playing tricks on you, because that is our top-line ATI Radeon 9800 PRO mounted in the 8X AGP slot with a Molex power connector. With a 200 watt power supply, we were more than a little concerned about whether the Shuttle could handle a loaded system with a 3.0 GHz CPU and the ATI card. The answer is: “yes, it can”."

i'd try to get yourself some cl2.0 ram instead of the 2.5 you have i'm sure twinmos do sticks of it also, there is probably better ram manfacturers though such as corsair or ocz if you willing to spend that type of money

kk cheers data mate , ill stick with the 200watt psu and sure if I have any problems i can order 250watt silentX off oc.uk .

this ram okay then?
    Corsair XMS PRO 3200 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL2 32Meg x 8, 400MHz, with LED
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&sku=120855&p=&t=1014&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=17&GrpID=9&cks=PRL
    < E143 >

its both cl2.0 and a better manfacturer.

loving the help ;D
    adam

• Advertisement

yeah its better but very fancy with all the led's and crap which you ain't gonna see as its in a non see through case chances are you won't notice the difference probably between the two sticks and it mighn't be work spending the extra 40 euro on it, COL_LOKI will be able to give you some advice here at the end of the day it depends on how much you have to spend

OCZ 512MB PC3200 Platinum Series DDR CAS2 (MY-016-OC) this memory from overclockers is quite quality it runs at 2-2-3-5 only the expensive mushkin level II ram has tighter timings i reckon, and the nonled version of the same memory by corsair the XMS 3200 LL stuff is also quite good.

oh and with regards to whether it is best to buy from one place or more, all it matters is where you can get the parts you want and where you can get em cheapest.

data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I have that RAM myself, tis a good buy, got mine through www.shop4memory.com but OCZ platinum series is a great buy

Cheers Data ;) , would definetly agree about the flashy led's on the ram ..... not much use unless you have a clear side !! Very nice spot on the 9800pro & P4 3ghz , was doubtfull about the PSU........ seems like its better than i thought!!

Best ram on the market without question is the mushkin BH-5 ......... Theres Pc3200 512mb for €149 Here , i will overclock alot and those timings are the best you can get. Dont bother with Dual DDR when you have AMD boards the performance increase is tiny , getting faster rated ram is useless (unless its Pc3500) .............. (have had my NF7-S to 245mhz FSB Dual DDR ......... 3440 bandwidth , with one stick OCZ @ 215mhz - gets 3250ish) .

The Mushkin ram is very good quality and if your gettin the 9800pro from jes aswell then the ram will cost you alot less from them aswell. Level one ram is good aswell (the ram data mentioned is better BTW) and pretty cheap.....

PS I have had Geil Pc4000 Ram , OCZ Rev2 Pc3200 gold, Mushkin Level1 ........ twinmos standard ( OEM Ram aswell ). ........ Id stick with my recomendation above or data & dempsey's to be honest , depends on your budget. (for €149 mushkin Pc3200 lvl2 is unbeatable ).

[edit] PS the ram is on its way out (dont know whats replacing it) and the GFX card is going to move very very fast............. if you want the system straight away and best value id order it now ( is terrible if its out of stock , BH-5 ram is crazy........ wish i had some............ same with the 9800pro)

thats a great price on that mushkin level 2 it sells for about €180 on shop4memory i'd go for that then and get the gfx card from them like COL_LOKI suggested

k cheers,
    ill get that ram then (DR PC400 512MB Mushkin Hi Perf Level II) but on jes-computers there are '9800pro lites' and 'fulls' in the sapphire range which do i want?or should i get the powercooler?

also changed my mind and planing on getting a non serial-ata hard drive :
    HARD DRIVE
    Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 160GB 8MB IDE ATA/133 8MB cache 7200RPM
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&sku=114074&p=&t=715&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=9&GrpID=1&cks=PRL
    < E125 >

it seems to be the best one , not the fastest but not the hotest and quiet ;)

adam

the lite version doesn't come with any games as far i know just the card and the drivers, not sure what games come with the full s/w package for the sapphire so check it out and see if its worth you while, i have the powercolour myself, but i think i'd recommend the sapphire if they are similarly priced as it may overclock better, however i do think both are quite similar based on ati's reference design, also my powercolour came with the new tomb raider game if that is of interest

can anyone else confirm that? because if its just the game you get Ill get lite but i definetly dont lose clock speed?or preformance or anything?

adam

What sapphire basicly say is that its the retail version without the "frills".............. ie it doesent have the games. It is a fully working 9800pro, nothing really hidden.

The games arent even great ............ if it was HL2 then mabye its worth getting the retail but its not.

k the only thing i need now is a working moniter :E everything else is sorted as far as know , any ideas? would it be an idea to buy it locally (not on net) cuz moniter is fat and heavey alot of delivery cost?

adam

do you not have a monitor from you dell? whether you should buy the monitor on the net or locally again its a price whether the cheapness off the net is offset by the delivery cost or not.

for example delivery cost with overclockers with a monitor is £22 which is quite expensive but if you get a load of your other parts there is it kinda spreads the delivery cost over all the items

• Advertisement

www.elara.ie or komplett............ both €10 for shipping even though it might way a tonne. (got a 19" crt from elara delivered for that a while back , no problems).

Think elara might have the 19" on there specials this week (people voted for it)....... worth a look.

im keeping my dell comp so need a 2nd moniter. also was looking on jes-computers site , alot of it is in german even when i try and put it in english , is it safe to order off? I know col_loki loves it but any one else use it? are my itmes corverd in transit , is there a big delivery charge etc.?

also on another note , do i need Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound , i heard amd cpus come with it or something and that i wont need it?

adam

they don't come with AS5 but probably some other crappy generic thermal paste, get the AS5 should help keep you temps low

also spotted a moniter that looks good on elara.ie ;

19" monitor Vision MST 1451/19" FST .26 86kHz TC099
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MON00033&productID=55415
    < E205 >

good buy? good moniter?
    also still curious about jes-computers , any one use them alot?

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

When it comes to monitors like anything you get what you pay for. Thats cheap for a 19" monitor but the refresh rates are pretty bad.

Ideally you want the refresh rate to be over 100hrz at 1280x1024. That monitor goes at 85hrz at that res which isn't bad but it ain't great. Apart from that you want good colour reproduction and brightness. Do a google on the monitor.

BloodBath

I am looking at another moniter for sale on the forums 19 Inch Relisys screen ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140713 ) I know this has only got 85hz at 1280x1024 but is this enough? or will the gfx card not get used to its full potentional? I can always upgrade at a later date. and is Relisys a decent make? and will the colour on that moniter be up to scracth?

adam

Advertisement