Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB flash drive problem/question

• 07-02-2004 3:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this should go here or in O/S....

I recently bought a 128MB mydisco USB flash drive. It claims to work in "any USB drive in the world" (or words to that effect), however what it dosen't say is that this must be permitted by the administrator to install it on the PC in question.
    I bought it for transferring flies between home, work and college. It works fine in work and at home, but will not work on any of the PC's in college (nothing happens when I plug it in). I assume that this is because it's not permitted by the security settings (however a ZIP disk works fine).
    Anyone any ideas??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

If its not detecting it then you may need to install the drivers for it, What OS is in the college?

Thanks joePC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭daveJAM

I'd imagine that those PC's in college use win 2000 or XP. XP Unlikely tho. Those drives dont need admin access to be installed. Even if they did you'd be getting a big message telling you that you don't have admin access.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Are you still using NT there by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Check your OS. I bet its either NT or 98se and these both need drivers installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Or the usb ports may be turned off in the bios ...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

There may be 3rd party software installed to prevent USB flash drives being used?

Also, a girl in my class has a particular drive that causes the
    "Yu do not have sufficient priviledges to perform this operation, please contact your administrator" message on some of the win2000 boxes in college, but sometimes it works when the drive is just removed and plugged back in again.

just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

You don't need admin. I used them in DIT for years.

1. you're running 98/nt (check for unidentified USB devices on the little green icon that appears in the task bar).

2. the usb ports are disabled. Unlikely, but possible.

3. they're Dell PC's and have the same USB power issues that plague far too many Dell's.

tribble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

NT doesn't support usb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by azezil
    NT doesn't support usb
    NT4 service pack 6a does. Old chestnut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Use the USB ports to the rear of the PC, not the ones to the front.

Some Dell machines do have problems powering USB Flash Memory drives on their front ports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭pgodkin

i had the same prob more or less!! my creative zen jukebox!! (MP3 Player) that can be used as a data storage unit wouldn't be accpeted by the network!!

i went to the tech's who said that they can't upload the software that came with it!! but i did find a descent tech that uploaded the software to a certain machine!!

so if u can find one of those guys u should be sorted!!!

Philip:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Originally posted by sceptre
    NT4 service pack 6a does. Old chestnut.
    indeed it does, but it won't auto detect it, you'll need drivers for it which will need to be manually installed. good luck finding some for NT though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Mailman is right - it works with the usb ports behind the pc, but not the ones at the front!!!

Advertisement