Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Access Point & Router question

• 07-02-2004 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

Howdy,

I plan to get a Wireless Access Point & Router for my house. I have two computers one upstairs and the other down stairs. I'm getting broad band and I want to share the internet connection with both computers. I would also like to network the two computer together.

I plan to get Wireless Access Point & Router (802.11g) I haven't decided on a brand yet, probably U.S. Robotics. Anyway my question is; If one of the computers is running Windows 98 (First edition) and the other is running windows XP can they still be networked through the Wireless router. Both computers will of course have wireless network cards. Also, can you see any problems sharing the internet with a set up like this?

Thanks,
    BoB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

There should be no problems in networking these two together, have a look for some tuts if your not too sure.

Wireless 11.g "Good choice"

Thanks joePC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭TARE

Sharing the internet should be no problem too?

I think it would be grand for Windows XP, i'm not to sure about Windows 98 (First edition) though...

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Your access point and router will look after most of the setup for you. the address of the router is normally 192.168.1.1 although you can define it anyway you want and then all you need to do is define your lan settings in explorer to use the hub's ip. The router will normally have a local dns table and you will probably need to allow access for the specified users! Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ken90

Have a look at

http://www.eircom.ie/bveircom/doc/technical_frequently_asked_questions.doc

It'a a word doc

If you need it I have a much shorter Troubleshooting guide.

Let us know how you get on with Win98 FE

Ken90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭TARE

Will do Ken, it may be a while though.

Cheers lads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

For a 802.11 G router, I'd recommend the Netgear DG834 G. It should be cheaper than the US Robotics.

I have the previous model (DG824, 802.11b) and it's a breeze to set up and has stacks of features.

Advertisement