Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN

Options
  • 28-07-2000 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Makesure youre on a decent ISP
    Like eircom or indigo if youre playing on UK servers. Makesure theyre decent servers.

Makesure your snaps are 40, rate 6200, maxpackets 30... etc..

Makesure

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

if your using one of those $hitey 1891 dialup numbers, stop using it and use your isp's local dialup number. taking indigo as an example, the reg number is about fifty times better routed than the 1891 one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Johnny_Dynamyte

I'm using eircom dialup ,and i set my packet size to large , is there any other settings i can change ? not q2 settings btw as it seems much worse than that , steady 400 ping when i had 150 on same servers with 56k =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

eircom are probably the worst for pings via isdn to the uk - the speed of your conn doesnt matter, theres a bottleneck between eircom and the server you want to play on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

at the moment, i would say its all the TA's fault. Do you have that one that eircom supplies? i've ordered my asuscom anyway, so if i don't have a ping of 60 at most, then theres something else wrong, but for now i'd say its the TA

i got my modem from eircom dss webflyer , i hope i can at least get a ping under 100 eventually for the price i'm paying gpt better ping with 56k ffs =(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

doh! i knew you were going to say that smile.gif
    That is the worst TA there is. Get an asuscom, but if you're keeping this TA for awhile, get a paid for account from Indigo because that gives the best pings to UK. I get around 120 on english servers, dropping to 100. On vishnu.ign.ie i get fairly consistently under 100, dropping to 75 or so. IOL gold paid for account is the best for games1.iol.ie

excuse me ? pay for? lol i hardly think that an isp is giving me 400+ ping with isdn although i'm gonna shove this webflyer up their ass , and get an asus internal isdn pci card for 30 quid ,hope that makes a diff though , thnx for the help guys =)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Buy & sell is supposed to be good to the UK, esp as it uses some digital compression yoke for ISDN. Try different free dial-ups before you consider a pay account (eg. indigo free, unison, oceanfree, b&s)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Oceanfree is the best to barrysworld from my experience. 70 - 100 not too shabby for a server thats probabley more than 500miles away smile.gif
    try it and see http://www2.oceanfree.net:8080/progs/oceanfsetup.exe

I got ISDN this morning , connected at 64,000bps and downloading at 7.5kb/sec
    but when i connected to any uk server (and i connected to uk servers with my 56k with a ping of 180 so dont say its the uk servers)
    i got a steady ping of 400+ with my ISDN , that is really bad , maybe its my modem? or some settings that i should have made before playeing i don't know , but i know if i'm poaying for isdn i would like a ping under 100.

thnx to anyone that can help ,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

Well from my own experience of ISDN the best setup without a doubt is.

Asuscom 128k internal pci adapter
    Indigo subscription account = 25-40 ping on vishnu.ign.ie . And a 50-60 ping steady in the UK.

IOL Subscription based account is around a 20-40 ping on games1.iol.ie.

I wouldn't bother with eircom,b&s and all the rest of em rank isps.

here's one for you =/
    i ping about 100-130 on q3 server , and ping 400+ on q2 server explain that one =P

and i am a q2 player so i need my ping for that .

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Ok heres what I found :
    - Get an ASUS internal pci or usb. They rock!

- Pings to servers differ with isp's. These are 'in game; pings (not dos pings)

For Games1 - use IOL : 23-50 ping (dropped to 6 ping a few times for me smile.gif
    For Vishnu - use Eircom/indigo : 30-50 ping
    For Barrysworld - use Oceannet/Eircom : 45-60 ping
    For Games Inferno - use Eircom/indigo : 50-60 ping
    For Deamon - use Eircom /indigo: 50-70
    For Supanet - use Buy and Sell 80-110 pings

So... Eircom or Indigo mostly imho. Pings vary on weekends.

[This message has been edited by MindPhuck (edited 31-07-2000).]

ok ok , when i installed my TA , do i have to add any extra protocals? or do i have to change anything in my network settings when i changed from 56k to isdn? cause i did **** all! i just put the thign in changed my packet size to large and dialed up.

another theory is that my com port cant handle isdn and slows down my connection , and i need some sort of equiptment to correct my com port speed or some ****ing thing ..... any ideas?

ps. q2 still better than q3 , although q3 rocks =) i just suck at it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

ahhhhhhhh.........

All is reveled...

P'raps with Q2 being an older game and less in demand, it's put on a lesser machine with a lesser connection???

Also, more importantly, Q2 sux tongue.gif

Before the flames start - that was a joke! I quite enjoy a nice romp around the server in Q2.

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

Advertisement