Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painkiller looking good?

Options
  • 07-02-2004 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

Just got the awesome trailer to this FPS games coming in april

First Impressions

Storyline doesnt grab me - Hopefully there will be a few plot twists,
    From the trailer it looks like a serious sam affair which great in some respects but hopefully it wont lead to stale gameplay,
    I love the graphics and artwork on creatures and levels with some nice effects from the new Havoc engine,
    The power ups are very cool and the weapons look the business,
    The mulitplayer looks fast and furious...nice,

Probably looking forward to this game more than doom 3 or HL2, imho it will take a few by surprize....

Painkiller official website (not for 56k :D)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

The models look a bit natty but It looks like a laugh. I'm not sure I'd be counting down the days till its release but I'll keep an eye out for the reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

I've got the press alpha versions of it and it feels like quake 1 mixed with serious sam using great graphics.
    Multiplayer part of it is kind of like quakeworld, which is really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

got the trailer 32 mb ! very nice indeed.
    multiplayer looks too much like quake, too fast, which is not always a good thing, considering we have CS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

i like the slightly large 'big bad guys'

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

The creatures look real kool especially the big black monster dude with the huge fangs:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

i like the slow motion idea, but i hope its not layed to death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

demo released tonight 10pm our time...4pm CST..

cant wait

demo single player only

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

you legend ronin :ninja:

as per usual ronin your a legend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Its also availible for download off suprnova.
    59% complete, 1hr 30mins left to go.

http://213.158.116.18/torrents/1186/Painkiller_SP_Demo_Setup-exe.torrent

A search on filedonkey.com revealed a 430mb or so version, which apparently included 2 multiplayer levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Just played the demo on the highest allowed difficulty (theres a higher one, but you have to clear the highest allowed to get it), and its looking good indeed.

Started off easy enough, your basic strafe,strafe,shoot,strafe,jump,shoot,shoot,strafe repeat ect, Didnt get to see many of the zombies, since most killing was done from long-range.

Was hoping to be scared, but it was still too easy at this point. Broke open a few coffin's, got a look at a zombie up close...still wasnt really scared, and was starting to feel a bit dissapointed. A few more kills later, I was running down a hill(destroyed with coffins, but I cba to break them open and get the powerups inside), and gates shot up from the ground, between two buildings, trapping me. So I turned around, and at the top, more gates. And a... (fs, too tired,cant think of the word...you know, wooden...back of a truck.... thing) was tipped over, and barrels were coming towards me. So I hid behind a coffin, and,well, basicly, a zombie popped out of it. And it happened with all the coffins. The barrels had all smashed off the gate at this stage, so I was able to get up and start shooting. This was more difficult as of the cramped circumstances. So I had to make my way up the hill and kill them all, hoping the gate would open..

The ambient music was starting to take effect at this stage, and the fact that I had all lights off also helped. So fear was finally starting to take a small effect on me. And then one of the coffins broke open. I decided to take my time aiming at this one, as he was crawling along the ground.. so I aimed right at his head, and the ****er jumped at me. I got out of the way handy enough, but it added a bit of difficulty when they all started jumping at me.

So I killed them all, and the gates lowered. Still not really impressed with whats meant to be a horror-fps. I run on, and run straight into a small estate of houses... which caught fire fairly quickly. Yes, this was slightly more impressive. (The physics are also brilliant, but on with it).. The zombies were running at me now, and they forced me back a bit... The fire effects were brilliant, as the zombies were throwing what appeared to be mangled bodyparts at me, splatering blood all over whatever they hit. Then I noticed that one of the zombie's....corpse's, was floating, lifelessly, with some electricity-type substance surging around them. I was a good bit away, and quick enough to notice it flying at me, and jumped out of the way. I then noticed that there was a freaky-looking demon pointing at the corpses, and using telekenesis(sp) to throw them at me.

So I was being forced back further and futher, and the demon-creature started running at me. Now I was starting to feel a bit of fear. Yes, this is what I had signed up for. I was being forced back slowly, and my bullets didnt seem to effect the demon thing. So eventually,I had to run behind a corner, and I saw another zombie-corpse thing being thrown at me. I decided to use my razor thing to cut it up a bit,for the fun of it, when all of a sudden it started floating. I was backed into a corner, and of course, I knew even before it was shot at me, that it was going to make contact. Far too close to get away from it. And of course,the second it hit me,it was game over. No retry's, straight back to the start of the level.

Pretty good game on first impressions.
    And now for another go.

...wow, that was long

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

Got this last night once some decent mirrors appeared.

I had a feeling i was going to be disappointed, but i wasnt. I like the movement, the gfx are great, pity thers no mp, couldn't get pre-alpha to work so ill just have to wait.

Needs a good pc to run tho, i get slowdown when thers a lot of action with XP3200+, 512ram, Ti4200 128mb@300/500. Oh well, time to retire the ol' Ti4200, she has served me well.

I think its great, well worth a go if ur in doubt.

Tis good fun indeed. The steak gun is good and the fact that you get a special 'card' if you finish the levels ina certain way (ie only steaks or nor armour or whatever).

Physics are good and its tries to creat an atmopshere tho im not totally convinced yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

Its pretty repetitive. MP apparently is much better, slightly different physics aswell ive heard. probably try and get the first look leak and hope it will work, i cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

It does get a bit repative & there's no save game option, its a bit like serious sam in that you have to kill all the monsters in the area before you can move on,tho the gfx are top notch as are the physics,i especially like nailing zombies to the wall :D as shown in the pic.

CombatCow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Absolute Rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Originally posted by Giblet
    Absolute Rubbish

then game, or someone's post?

looking at the screenshots it seems very similar to quake3 (the graphics). Does it run off a modified version of the Quake engine? did a quick searh but all it gives back is "painkiller engine" take it that's it so....

Use the Unreal engine by the looks of it.

And the game is rubbish.

Games okie, its very like serious sam, Apparently Multiplayer is much better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

well i liked the first level but i was thinking if only the enemies were harder but less of them
    then i started the second level and :(:(
    how the hell is something ment to be scary if u have killed it a few hundred times already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

I think it uses the Havoc engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

I'm gonna download it, though I don't like the sound of it being compared to serious sam (the single player version was rubbish, but I liked the multiplayer map with the trampolines).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by Lex_Diamonds
    I think it uses the Havoc engine.

Havok 2.0 I believe.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

thanks for the demo link.

enjoyable...stake gun is fun :D

get about 10-15 fps when the action REALLY started heating up in the level on my laptop tho :(

have been playing a lot of this went not up to my ears in college work...

got all the black tarot cards, endurance card being the toughest.... cant seem to find any holy items or secrets but there you go..

I love the physics and the jumping (can reach some good speeds)

very impressed so far, not frightened but really enjoyed the fray of the second level, i have to say that its so much fun to play...

i cant wait for multiplayer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

At a small house LAN I was at the other day, 4 of the lads were playing Painkiller multiplayer on their pc's, and agreed that multiplayer was brill fun. I only played the single player version, the 3 levels that were available were a good laugh though, and I'd seriously think about buying the game based on those 3 levels alone. The boss level against the big, black, winged demon was a really good laugh. takes a while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭BluE-WinG

Originally posted by TheSonOfBattles
    At a small house LAN I was at the other day, 4 of the lads were playing Painkiller multiplayer on their pc's, and agreed that multiplayer was brill fun. I only played the single player version, the 3 levels that were available were a good laugh though, and I'd seriously think about buying the game based on those 3 levels alone. The boss level against the big, black, winged demon was a really good laugh. takes a while though.

Ooh ooh ;) Yep it was teh own :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

custom graphics engine AFAIK ... it uses the Havok engine for the real time physics like the rag-doll effect when you shoot someone ... go Ireland!! :D

personally I found it great fun... takes me back to the days of Doom or even a classic 2d shooter where you had hundreds of enemies coming at you and fast reflexes were a must.

anyone who hates the game is either too young or is too attached to there kill 3 enemies - save game - kill another 3 enemies style of modern video games :p

• Advertisement

Fast reflexs my hole, the games is fucking easy.
    Gets tiring after 30 seconds of having to kill 8 or 9 zombies, one which is placed up high on a bridge or something, so you have to find him, but like theres no actual skill involved. If you die in it, you should give up games altogether.

Advertisement