Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Van Nistelrooy and saha

• 07-02-2004 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have the feeling after that game, that this partnership will win the league?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by Demeant0r
    Does anyone have the feeling after that game, that Man Utd will win the league again?

Haven't seen the highlights yet but I would be seriously concerned about the defence. Since Rio went they have conceded way too many goals . If they sort out the defence I would be quitely confident for the League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Seems that uniteds defence of late has been more than a little shaky and they have taken more to the Real Madrid style. Who cares what we let in as long as we score bucket loads. If they continue along these lines then when they come across a lucky defenc, or a strong one then they are gonna be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

In truth Man U back 5 have been poor the last few years(as shown in europe many times) but its very rare they'll have to deal with lunatics like big Dunc.They are still quite good at holding their line but lack a bit of physical presence at CB without rio.

• Advertisement

Todays woes were not caused by big Dunc but rather little Wayne, he could have had a bagful today. They wil certainly need some beefing up at the back, I am surprised that nobody was bought to fill in at least until the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Saha - 3 goals in two games, Van horse as dangerous as ever.... looks like a good partnership alright... the defence though is looking shaky - whats that - given away 6 goals in last 3 games against mid to lower table opposition... keep in mind Arsenal haven't lost a game yet this season and have a better goal difference...

A good partnership for sure, but I think the league will go to the wire...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Said it before he joined and ill say it again. Saha will be brilliant for man utd.

As for todays perfromance:

Van Nist and Saha: Brilliant, Brilliant, Brilliant...:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Van Nistelrooy is obviously one of THE top strikers in Europe but I'm not so sure about saha's quality. He'll score goals in that team because any half-decent forward would but doesn't seem to be anything particularly spcial.
    The main man as far as United are concerned imo is Scholes, a little genius who ends up having the opposition watching him like a hawk allowing the strikers that bit of time.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I wouldn't be too worried about United's defence just yet. Alright it has been shakey in recent games but its only a matter of sorting it out in training. Wes Brown is only back from a long term injury so it will take him time to settle back in. We still have a strong defence, its just a matter of sorting it out on the training ground.

And I'm more surprised than anyone at the level of criticism that Rio Ferdinand has been getting on this board. When he came to OT last year our defence was a mess, and by the end of that season Rio turned Uniteds defence from a mediocre defence to the best in the Premiership. I think its more jealousy than anything from rival supporters. I think he's played only one bad game this season altogether and that was against Stuttgart.

As for Ruud and Louis, they look like a great partnership already. I had my doubts about Saha before he signed. All of those doubts were erased today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Without a doubt the best partnership in the league in the making.

Its a pity ferguson is getting better at picking strikers :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Best defense in the prem, rofl :)

Silvestre makes United's defense imo, Rio comes second.
    I used to always complain about Rio, but I guess without him Utd. are in a lot of trouble.

I guess Fergie has a lot of faith in Wes Brown to get back to his old self since he hasn't bought anyone

Originally posted by elbow316
    Van Nistelrooy is obviously one of THE top strikers in Europe but I'm not so sure about saha's quality. He'll score goals in that team because any half-decent forward would but doesn't seem to be anything particularly spcial.

I have to admit i was sceptical about Saha being Man United quality before he signed but he is winning me around . His pace and composure on the his first goal and his first touch, control and shot for his second goal today is as good as anything I've seen. He has only played twice but his contributions so far IMO does indicate that he could be very special for Utd.

I agree Scholes is the main man who creates most of uniteds chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Silvestre makes United's defense imo, Rio comes second.

Couldn't disagree more. Mikel is a class act but he needs to have a compitent player beside him before he blosoms. Rio doesn't care who is beside him he is just class. He has been given a lot of stick but he is obviously a great organiser. Since he has been suspended UTD have conceded 7 goals in 2.5 games.

As for Saha and van the man. Utd look good going forward again but I think its more because of their 4-4-2 formation and Schole back in midfield rathre than Saha introduction, although he has had a great start. Hopefully Ole will be back soon, maybe he can fill in at Centre Half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

A lot of the problems on Saturday was Keane was the only defence minded midfielder - reckon Ferguson thought he could risk that against Everton. Against better teams Phil Neville or Butt would be playing.
    T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Do you not think that its a bit soon to be heralding the Rudd&Saha connection as the partnership that will win the premiership for United?

FFS they are off to a good start, thats all. United have conceded a boatload of goals in the last couple of games, and were very lucky to take 3 points on saturday, against a team thats on 5 points off the relagatin zone!

Jeez at least wait till youve tested them against the likes of Real Madrid, etc and them youcan see if they make the same knid of partnership as Cole and Yorke did!!!

X

Originally posted by PHB
    Best defense in the prem, rofl :)
    How many goals did they let in for all of last season? Who had the best defensive record?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

newcastle have the best home defensive record in the league this season, just goes to show how misleading defensive records can be. :)

I'm talking about last season.

Originally posted by Xterminator
    Do you not think that its a bit soon to be heralding the Rudd&Saha connection as the partnership that will win the premiership for United?

Jeez at least wait till youve tested them against the likes of Real Madrid, etc and them youcan see if they make the same knid of partnership as Cole and Yorke did!!!

X

When did Real start playing In the premiership?;)

I see what your saying but you could have picked a better example defensively than Real.

• Advertisement

I don't think I was talking about last season, nor were those people who were slating uniteds defence. There is damn all that can or could be done to LAST YEARS united defensive record, this year is the year that we are on about. If Saha keeps chipping in with the goals and RVN gets a couple aswell, they will still IMO have to beat Arsenal to win the league and that means defending against the joint best attack in the Prem and scoring against the best defense in the prem. (This season, not last)

BTW newcastle have the joint best home defence along with Arsenal, Chelsea and southampton. And Arsenal have the best defense on the road.

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    I don't think I was talking about last season, nor were those people who were slating uniteds defence. There is damn all that can or could be done to LAST YEARS united defensive record, this year is the year that we are on about. If Saha keeps chipping in with the goals and RVN gets a couple aswell, they will still IMO have to beat Arsenal to win the league and that means defending against the joint best attack in the Prem and scoring against the best defense in the prem. (This season, not last)

BTW newcastle have the joint best home defence along with Arsenal, Chelsea and southampton. And Arsenal have the best defense on the road.
    Then again this season isn't finished yet is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

i see that the nit picking has began in earnest!

Originally posted by jank
    i see that the nit picking has began in earnest!
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Only seen the highlights of both games, so cant comment on the partnership in full, Will have to wait until they come across 2 quality Centre backs, eg Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

:rolleyes: = the most used smilie on boards.ie

Advertisement