Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virus problem

• 08-02-2004 1:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

virus.jpg

I've run AVG three or four times as well as HouseCall but it won't detect this, which strikes me as odd. Anyone have ideas how to get rid of it? I can't go to that directory either as it says access denied. I've updated AVG too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Is it winxp ? If so, you could try turning off system restore when doing the scan and see if it can get it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

which os

anyway if xp , right click on my computer,properties, disable system restore, run avg or just delete the whole folder.

remember to switch system restore back on espicially if you plan to mess up your pc anytime soon

edit.. dam dre your fast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

1. Disable system restore by right clicking my computer , click on system restore tab and click the turn off system restore.

2. restart the computer in safe mode by clicking F8 and selecting safe mode.

3. Run a full system scan.

4. this should remove the virus as long as you are using the latest updates.

5. restart the computer and turn back on system restore.

For more information click http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.pinfi.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

[offtopic]
    has anybody actually got System restore to work properly?
    I find tis better disabled. use norton ghost and make a hd image for backup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Thanks for the replies.

I disabled System Restore and booted up in safe mode, but when Im in safe mode AVG won't run, nor can I connect to the net to try HouseCall. It says there's a driver missing or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by Kaimera
    [offtopic]

offtopic also aye its done the job for me a couple of times driver issues and stuff

Try not booting into safe mode, don't connect to net either, just run AVG, try to have nothing else running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Tried that Dr.Dre but it didn't work.

hmmm, that's a dilly of a pickle.
    Had a wee look at symantecs site and this is what they say > http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.pinfi.html

What error does AVG give when you try to run in safe mode ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Darth Vader

First id like to say that the worst thing you can do is turn a computer off after it gets infected with a virus because lots of them have payloads that run the next time the computer boots. The reson why you cant get to the folder is because the virus is probably running in the background so what you do is go to your registry and then go to the following key HKEY_Current_User\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run then press ctrl + alt + del and look through the processes for a programme that matches any of the reg keys in the registry if they do then chances are this is you virus what you do id stop the running process and then delete the reg key and any file that maybe on your system then.

Also the programme instead might have created a key in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run but i would'nt take chance editing this unless you are fully sure what you are looking for.

This wont fully get rid of a virus but it will stop it from running 9 times out of 10 on your computer again.

What i mentioned here is not to be tryed unless you know what you are doing.

I take no responsibilty for you stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Kaimera
    [offtopic]
    Yeah, it's saved my ass numerous times. Comes in handy when installing drivers or doing a cull on all the apps you don't use anymore.

Advertisement