Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A7n8x & 3200

Options
  • 08-02-2004 2:54am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I got an 3200+ recently - had a 2400+ - however after I had uped the fsb to 200mhz, although the system saw the cpu as 3200+, it just keeps rebooting - the best I can do is lower the fsb to 185mhz (sees it as a 2500+) and it works ok.

Anyone have a 3200+ and a A7N8X working?

Hyzepher

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

hi not sure what version of the a7n8x you have but i think perhaps that older nforce2 boards don't support 200mhz fsb athlons and that only the ones with the new nforce 2 ultra chipset do

"Based on the nVIDIA nForce2 SPP chipset, the A7N8X was one of the first nForce2 motherboards on the market and the board caught on like a wild fire. Being first always has its advantages. Asus offer the A7N8X in two versions; there's the deluxe model which is probably the most well equipped motherboard on the market (with ethernet, firewire, Serial ATA) and the plain "no frills" version which is what we're reviewing today.

The Asus A7N8X motherboard has support for any 200/266/333 MHz based Athlon/Duron socket A processor, including the newly released Barton core."

so depending on your version you may not be able to get it to work to its fully potential. check out asus' website see if there is any info of use.

good luck

data

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

According to their site it should work - just doesn't for me.

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Try the multipliers, although this will be a pain if the ram is supposed to run at 400mhz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Ok im not 100% on your post but ........

Check your Revision of the Board (should be under the AGP slot on your board) , if its under 2 (ie 1.3 , 1.4 forget exactly could be 1.03, 1.04) its not compatible with 200mhz FSB. I know mine was 1.4/1.04 and would stop being stable at 180mhz FSB (but would boot fine at 185mhz FSB) .

The Xp3200+ will be recognised as a Xp2500+ if the FSB is lower than 200mhz (because the multiplier is the same 11) . From that board (if the chip is unlocked) you can get to 2250mhz without modding............. 180mhz x 12.5.

How old is the board ?

[edit] PS you REALLY need to check your board revision wheather iuts Deluxe or normal, makes the difference...........

Its version 2.0 - so it should take the 3200+ @ 200fsb

Hyzepher

• Advertisement

hmm i wouldn't have thought this to be problem but is it pushing the correct amount of volts for barton through the processor i think its 1.65V for a barton

yeah - it auro detects the 3200+ and has 1.65 volts - everything seems to be fine in the bios but the system just keeps rebooting after post

Hyzepher

have you posted in the asus forums, perhaps its it a known issue or perhaps you need a new bios version?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MoSeS_.

What kind of memory are you using, is it capable of running at 400 mhz?
    You need PC3200 memory like this.
    The other option is to increase the multiplier, if it can go any higher, to get up to the same speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

I have used both the deluxe and the x version (no dual-ddr), and a barton 2500 cpu..

I use fsb 200 mhz and a multiplier x11, works without problems, but i found the A7N8X-x to be more stable than my current deluxe verison... have had to up the cpu voltage on the deluxe version to make it stable.

Have you tried flashing the latest bios on this motherboard?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by MoSeS_.

The other option is to increase the multiplier, if it can go any higher, to get up to the same speed.

thats not really ideal though imo as its better to get 2200 from using a high fsb and low multi then from a low fsb and a high multi

Originally posted by MoSeS_.
    What kind of memory are you using, is it capable of running at 400 mhz?
    You need PC3200 memory like this.

Yep I have Corsair 3200LL 2 x 512Mb

Have you tried flashing the latest bios on this motherboard?

Yes - I am on Bios 1007 - the latest.

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MoSeS_.

thats not really ideal though imo as its better to get 2200 from using a high fsb and low multi then from a low fsb and a high multi
    Well obviously but the initial post suggested the memory wouldn't run over 185Mhz
    the best I can do is lower the fsb to 185mhz (sees it as a 2500+) and it works ok
    In that event upping the multiplier would be the remaining option to try and get it up to 3200+

But if the memory is pc3200 then it should run at 200 no problems.
    Maybe you need to relax the memory timings a bit

the initial post suggested to me that the processor wouldn't run above 185mhz nothing to do with the memory, you can't get 3200+ by upping the multi tis not the same thing 3200+ only corresponds to 200*11, if you get 2200 via any other combination its not 3200+

he shouldn't really have to loosen the timings that memory he has is quality think its rated for 2-3-2-6 i have the same memory effectively xms3500 which uses the same chips as the 3200LL and i run it at 2-2-2-6.

hypzepher when i was overclocking my processor i had trouble getting it up to a 200mhz fsb initially, try upping your vdimm to 2.8V the memory may be rated for those specs but they may have used a high vdimm to obtain it, corsair xms memory is guaranteed up to a vdimm of 2.8V see if that helps

Tried the 2.8v but no change. I am beginning to think the cpu is faulty

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Yep I have Corsair 3200LL 2 x 512Mb
    Have you tried only one piece of ram, it could be this also since the board is seeing the chip as a 3200+.

Not only have I tried only 1 stick but I have tried other memory as well

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Can you try it in another PC?

Unfortunately not - however I talked to the guy I bought it from and he is confident that it is ok. I am coming around to the fact that it is the RAM - no functioning properly @ 200Mhz. I will try another bank

Hyzepher

My PC2700 does 190fsb. Surprised you can't do 200fsb with PC3200

• Advertisement

The 3200+ is base 200Mhz but the ram needs to be in sync so thats why it could be the ram

Hyzepher

have you tried memtest on the ram it might show something?

also can you run the ram out of sync such that the fsb is at 200 on the processor?

I memtest'd the ram and all ok - tried different ram - no joy - ran teh ram at lower speed - no joy. Checked the Corsair site to ensure its compatible with the board and it is. At this point I am thinking the best thing to do is get a new mobo

Hyzepher

hmm you could go for abit nf7-s v2.0 if your going for a new one

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    hmm you could go for abit nf7-s v2.0 if your going for a new one

Only 123 in Maplins at the moment.

Advertisement