Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can Liverpool afford to wait?

• 08-02-2004 11:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

I've said since the start of the season that Martin O'Neill will take over at Liverpool in the summer, but the question is, Can liverpool afford to wait for him?

If they continue to play the way they are at the moment it's very likely they won't be playing in Europe next season, and that will mean you will see some big names moving away in the summer. Owen will definitely go if theres no European football. and I wouldn't be surprised to see a few others follow him.

The problem I see is theres no top managerial names that are going to want to take the job, due to pressure and demands. O'Neill appears to be the only solution and he's not going to leave Celtic till the end of the season.

It wouldn't take a whole lot of results to turn things around, there only 2 points off 4th but I don't think GH is capable of doing it.

Can Liverpool afford to wait for O'Neill 7 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by irish1
    I've said since the start of the season that Martin O'Neill will take over at Liverpool in the summer, but the question is, Can liverpool afford to wait for him?

If they continue to play the way they are at the moment it's very likely they won't be playing in Europe next season, and that will mean you will see some big names moving away in the summer. Owen will definitely go if theres no European football. and I wouldn't be surprised to see a few others follow him.

The problem I see is theres no top managerial names that are going to want to take the job, due to pressure and demands. O'Neill appears to be the only solution and he's not going to leave Celtic till the end of the season.

It wouldn't take a whole lot of results to turn things around, there only 2 points off 4th but I don't think GH is capable of doing it.

The sooner Houllier goes the better, some blame must fall at the chairman though. They've been employing second rate managers like Houllier, Souness and Evans for the last 10 years. They need to get someone proven like O' Neill if they want a chance at Europe next season because it's almost certainly out of their reach now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
    The sooner Houllier goes the better, some blame must fall at the chairman though. They've been employing second rate managers like Houllier, Souness and Evans for the last 10 years. They need to get someone proven like O' Neill if they want a chance at Europe next season because it's almost certainly out of their reach now.

I agree somewhat with what you are saying, but O'Neill is not a proven manager at the highest level. Houlier has won more silverware with Liverpool than O'Neill has won with Celtic and Leicster put together.

So some points:
    - He manages Celtic in SCOTLAND
    - Rangers are the only genuine opposition
    - Houlier has gone one step further with Liverpool and actually won the UEFA
    - Finishing 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th in the English Premiership is a considerably better achievment than 1st in the SPL
    - Liverpool has one more Silverware under GH than Celtic and Leicster combined under O'Neill

I will give you the fact that O'Neill certainly has the potential to be a great manager, but he has certainly not proven himself at the highest level. The successes achieved by Chris Coleman, Alan Curbishhley and Gordan Strachan are far more impressive than those achieved by O'Neill. These men have brought relatively small clubs to the top 8 of the Premiership, a Premiership that is considerably more competitive than the Premiership that O'Neill managed Leicster with.

Alan Curbishly would get my vote of any managers in Britain at the moment. GH has been good for the club but he has done all he can. He has introduced alot of European ideas to the club and instilled a great professionalism in the players, I think another European manager, that has proven themselves, should be brought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    I agree somewhat with what you are saying, but O'Neill is not a proven manager at the highest level. Houlier has won more silverware with Liverpool than O'Neill has won with Celtic and Leicster put together.

So some points:
    - He manages Celtic in SCOTLAND
    - Rangers are the only genuine opposition
    - Houlier has gone one step further with Liverpool and actually won the UEFA
    - Finishing 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th in the English Premiership is a considerably better achievment than 1st in the SPL
    - Liverpool has one more Silverware under GH than Celtic and Leicster combined under O'Neill

I don't quite get what you mean by he's not proven at the highest level, every managerial role he has taken on he has excelled in. He took Wycombe Wanderers from the Conference to the Second Division in two seasons. He guided Leicester City into the Premiership at his first attempt and managed to win the League Cup with an at best average side. We're all familar with his sucess with Celtic bring them to the finals of the UEFA Cup, if that's not preforming at the highest level then I'm not sure what is! Curbishly, Coleman et al have had no experience in Europe which is something worth bearing in mind.

I'm sure you'll agree at least that Liverpool could do a lot worst than O' Neill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

o'neill is a class manager, comparing him to GH is an insult, never mind saying he's not better than GH!

if liverpool are such a great club with great players they wouldnt need a world-class manager. all they need is someone that has a game plan, a realistic one that will work in europe aswell as england. someone that doesnt CHANGE things every match.

celtic have average players bar larsson. The fact o'neill took them to a european final shows he knows what he's doing. he's a motivater more than anything else and always seems to get the best out of players- eg hartson. he's never had big transfer funds which is the ONLY possible weakness he could have. however balde, thompson and a couple of others have proved to be great value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

why not entice Sven Göran-Eriksson. he seems to get the best out of Owen and Gerrard. or maybe it's the pride thing.....

o'neil manages a second rate team in the UCL, which should be liverpool's aim.
    one can only be unlucky so many times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    I will give you the fact that O'Neill certainly has the potential to be a great manager, but he has certainly not proven himself at the highest level.

did Alex Ferguson prove himself before he joined Man Utd from Aberdeen?

Fergusons record at Aberdeen (1978-86) -> three League titles, four Scottish Cups, one League Cup, and the European Cup Winners Cup...

just because he won a Cup Winners Cup with Aberdeen... does this mean he is a proven manager..??

Martin O'Neill record at Celtic (2000-?) -> two League titles, one Scottish Cup, one League Cup, and UEFA Cup runner up...

tbh, I cant see O'Neill leaving Celtic for Liverpool.. my reasoning -> he supports Celtic and he would like to match Jock Stein's record at the club.. plus the fact that he has put his own money into the club.. and hes in paradise..
    <or maybe im bull-****ting myself > :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by Johnny_the_fox
    I cant see O'Neill leaving Celtic for Liverpool.. my reasoning -> he supports Celtic and he would like to match Jock Stein's record at the club.. plus the fact that he has put his own money into the club.. and hes in paradise..
    <or maybe im bull-****ting myself > :dunno:

He also can almost guarentee CL football every year and the challenge of getting Celtic to the level of those teams if no small task. I think pool would be a step sideways at the moment.

I think losing GH now would be pointless and would only serve to cause disruption to the club and players for the run in. He will most likely go in the summer unless pool manage a mini-miracle in the run in. Good riddance I say.

Advertisement