Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

restricting a users account (w2k)

• 08-02-2004 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to prevent a user (a nine year old in this case) from opening and closing the cdrom drawer? I would also like to prevent floppy access in this case.

Also, I would like to prevent access to any folders or browsing.

Basically, I just want the kid to be able to access whatever is in the start menu, and not much else. I've had a look around administrative tools, but didnt find anyting as extreme as I'd like.

Thankyou for listening,
    merlin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

hi someone can correct me on this but i don't think you can stop anyone messing around physically with your cd-rom or floppy drive unless you have a case front which is lockable or something.

in user accounts though you should be able to set up a user with limited access, and also make other users files private to stop access to your documents, limited acess should also prevent the user from being able to install any programs, but should be able to use current installed programs

data

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can disable them in the BIOS

You might be able to disable the driver in device manager, not sure I'd risk the CD not being redetected after the fun I've had with 98 and Floppy and Smaller HDD's just work slower without the Driver.

Other option - long cables and put the baseunit away - locked (well ventilated) press / soft power on from keyboard.

If you boot off a Knoppix CD - it stops you oppening the CD drawer until you shutdown or power off the PC. - so it can be done - not sure about windows , too many things need too many rights to be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Yes, it's true that this can be done in linux. It looks like windows needs a wooden box for improved security. Thanks folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭oneweb

If you type gpedit.msc in the Start| Run box, you can set policies as to what can be accessed. I don't think you can physically disable the opening/closing of the drawer, so you will indeed need to box up the case.

It is what it's.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

wooden box ?
    Starting to sound like the C2 security claim for NT

- You had to disable lots of stuff like posix (when did you last use that ?) and remove the network card and floppy drive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Use Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc), configure whatever settings you want under the "User Configuation" heading and then remove read permissions for your user account to the directory that holds policies (C:\WINDOWS\system32\GroupPolicy). Why? Because if you don't then your account will pick up the policies and the same restrictions will apply to you. If you need to edit the policy again then just grant yourself permissions again and remove them when finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

You could possibly use a hardware profile, i.e. create a hardware profile for the young 'un and then you should be able to disable the cdrom and floppy in device manager, "disable in this hardware profile".
    Might work, have never tried it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

i remember those old hd locks i wonder could u get em for cd rom drives :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭oneweb

Disabling the cd drive in bios/hardware profiles/os won't stop lil Jimmy pushin tha buttons to make funny slidey thingy go inny outty :) Try fixing a dodgy power cable to the case* Jimmy gets a funny jolt and won't be wanting to try that too soon :)

*DON'T!

It is what it's.

Replace the FDD/CD with USB ones.

Wireless keyboard and mouse - they can look in at the computer through a window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hes 9 not 3 tell him not to an if he does beat him ?

Advertisement