Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a 60Htz+ TV to watch Region 1 DVDs?

Options
  • 08-02-2004 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

i tried it before on my ps2 and it just came out black and white. i want to region crack my home cinema (its a Sharp HT-CN400DVE, if anyone has info ;)) but its probably pointless since all my TVs are 50Htz.

any info very much appreciated!

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

To watch Region1 DVDs you need a TV that is NTSC compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

No you don't need a 60hz tv.
    Like Samson says it needs to be NTSC compatible. If it comes out b&w then it doesn't support NTSC.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

ahh....... is there a way of testing? (other then using a NTSC video DVD obviously:rolleyes: )

Check your manual.
    Otherwise, just using an NTSC dvd is the best test.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

No you don't need a 60hz tv.
    Like Samson says it needs to be NTSC compatible. If it comes out b&w then it doesn't support NTSC.

If you need to play an NTSC DVD you will need a TV capable of displaying the NTSC standard. This standard has the following characteristics:

Field rate: 60Hz
    Resolution: 720 x 480 pixels
    Colour encoding standard: NTSC 3.57MHz chrominance subcarrier.

Surely "NTSC Compatibility" would mean that these characteristics must be catered for !

Tinky

• Advertisement

Both of my tvs are 50hz tvs but they support NTSC. This doesnt make them 60hz tvs. It's more like compatability mode.

NTSC displays 30 frames a second or 60 fields if you like, what does the TV do with the other 10 fields if it's field rate is only 50Hz ? The horizontal and vertical resolutions differ too, how does your telly compensate for this ?

I'm not disputing what you say but am just curious how this could work. Do the movies appear to be running faster than they should? What effect is there on the audio ?

Tinky

Ok I think this confusion is just down to my ignorance on the subject.
    They support NTSC, but are native PAL tvs.
    So, from what I gather, when not using an NTSC dvd or running a game in 60hz compatability mode, the tv is working at 50hz?
    So is it a 60hz or 50hz tv?

PAL (phase alternate line) refers only to the way the colour information is encoded onto the Luminance signal. There are in fact 7 versions of the PAL standard some of which most here would be familiar with, namely I G and H. The difference between these is mostly where the audio subcarrier is placed on the spectrum.

There is however a system called PAL M (Used in certain South American Countries I think) which aside from the colour encoding has all the characteristics of NTSC, i.e. 60 fields/sec and a 3.57MHz chrominance subcarrier.

There is not a lot of difference between PAL and NTSC colour standards. The PAL standard was designed as an updated version of NTSC to get rid of the tint problems associated with NTSC (Never The Same Colour). More resolution was also a feature of the PAL system.

The Line and Field scanning circuits of most TV's are capable of changing frequency as required in a similar fashion to your monitor in front of you but without the wide range. I'm not sure about "digital" scanning TV's or 100Hz features but I can see no reason why these sets (which are also available in NTSC format) could not cope with the 60Hz signal. I'm prepared to be corrected here as it's been a few years since I learned all this stuff.

Tinky

Advertisement