Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printer Problem?

Options
  • 08-02-2004 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

Folks, I'm trying to install a Deskjet 400 using the proper driver from WinXP.

I keep getting RPC server is not available. This may have been caused by the MSBlAST virus that I had last year according to a search on google.

This is not a Networked machine. I have run AVG Anti Virus on numerous occasions since I first got the MSBLAST. I downloaded the removal tool and applied the MS fix. I did both an online virus and trojan check and it came up clean. Also System Restore has been cleaned several times since I had the Virus.

I tried running sytem file checker but it stops and asks for the "Windows Whistler Professional CD."When I put my WinXP CD in the drive it says it's the wrong CD??

The XP CD that I'm using is genuine and I got it direct from Microsoft as a replacement for WinME CD which I had severe problems with.

Now in saying that I did change the OS to this computer from an older one and when I did that I contacted Microsoft and they gave me a NEW CD code number. Would that make any difference?

Anyway I found a driver on "Driverguide" but when trying to install it, I stll get the same error message "The RPC server is not available."

But as above regarding "Whistler" at this moment if anything else goes wrong I'm thinking that my WinXP CD is useless. Would I be right?

I just spent over 5 hours downloading and installing the SP1 (even though I had downloaded what I considered to be relevant sections to my needs prior to this problem), and the problem still exists.

Any ideas folks would be greatly appreciated.

Mick.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Generic Answer - I've not had THAT particular problem printing from XP.

To rule out the driver / possibly use one already installed ..
    Try installing the HP Deskjet (no numbers) driver. This not give you colour but it will rule out the specific driver as a problem and you might get to print.

Failing this try a generic / text only driver - manufacture microsoft IIRC - again to test printing. - Next step is to set the output to File rather than the printer port.

And you are logged on as a user with full admin rights.

Not sure if I read you right on the setup of XP - you did install off the CD you now have - no chance it's an upgrade of ME ?

Check in services (burried) in control panel - to make sure the RPC and spooler are both started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭obewan

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Generic Answer - I've not had THAT particular problem printing from XP.

To rule out the driver / possibly use one already installed ..
    Try installing the HP Deskjet (no numbers) driver. This not give you colour but it will rule out the specific driver as a problem and you might get to print.

Failing this try a generic / text only driver - manufacture microsoft IIRC - again to test printing. - Next step is to set the output to File rather than the printer port.

The problem is that I cannot get a driver to load. I even tried a USB printer driver and printer from Canon.
    And you are logged on as a user with full admin rights.

Yes I am the only user.
    Not sure if I read you right on the setup of XP - you did install off the CD you now have - no chance it's an upgrade of ME ?

Yes it XP was installed from the disc and it's definitely not an upgrade.
    Check in services (burried) in control panel - to make sure the RPC and spooler are both started.

This was the first place that I went and yes they are both set to start "automatically."

Thanks for your efforts anyway.

Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

try ringing the technical support line for the product

Advertisement