Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woooo! I'm famous (well not quite :))

Options
  • 08-02-2004 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2091-993434,00.html
    Accidents put Dublin cyclists on wrong side of Luas tracks
    Richard Oakley

AN old malady has returned to haunt the streets of Dublin after 50 years — injuries from tram tracks. Up to 20 accidents involving cyclists who failed to negotiate Luas tracks have been reported to the Railway Procurement Agency (RPA).

Pat Plunkett, an emergency consultant at St James’s hospital in Dublin, said he has treated about a dozen cyclists for “tram track injuries” at his unit.

They required attention for broken bones as well as for cuts and bruises. The consultant has first-hand experience of such accidents, having fallen off his own bike.

“I was very lucky when I fell off. I was approaching red lights. I fell into the way of the traffic, but the cars were slowing down because of the red light and didn’t come near me,” he said.

“There is a piece of track outside St James’s which seems to be causing a number of accidents. When your wheels get caught, you get thrown off and there is nothing you can do about it. I have been asking around about this, and it seems these types of injuries were common when we last had trams. I think people are just not used to the tracks; we have forgotten how to deal with them.” He advised all cyclists to wear helmets.

The Dublin Cycling Campaign said it has received several reports of accidents and is working with the RPA to develop warning signs for cyclists.

“I know two friends who have been thrown from their bikes when their front wheels have become trapped in the rail groove. It’s like one continuous pothole that is rarely and poorly signposted,” said Colm Moore of the cycling group.

“Despite us agreeing in November with the RPA that it would implement a publicity programme and erect temporary signs, little has appeared on the streets of Dublin. We would urge the RPA and its contractors to implement urgent safety improvements.

“Most of the population has never known on-street trams, and all road users need to be aware of the Luas. Trams and tramways aren’t inherently dangerous, but are certainly different to what we are used to.”

Moore said cyclists were at risk when they travelled parallel to the tracks and crossed them without steering directly in at a right angle.

Tom Manning, the public relations manager at the RPA, said the agency was working to raise awareness of the potential risks. He confirmed that about 20 accidents had been reported and said temporary signs were in place at junctions.

He added that a widespread publicity campaign had already begun. Advertisements in last week’s daily newspapers warned road users about the Luas tracks ahead of tests of the system. “We will be issuing newsletters to homeowners warning them about the Luas. We need to get across the fact that the trams are virtually silent and cannot swerve out of a person’s way like a bus or car,” he said.

He added that the general advice was for people to stay clear of Luas lines where possible and not to cycle along the tramway.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Looks like you will need Mountain bikes if you comute near a LUAS line. - Also the bit about them being silent not good for cyclists. Wouldn't fancy being on a bike knowing you are between the devil and deep blue sea if a car forces you towards the tracks. I remember some older cyclists calling trams "silent death"

Also the tracks will be lethal in wet weather for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Also the bit about them being silent not good for cyclists.
    This is why they have a distinctive bell. Anyway, keep away from the tracks and the tram won't come near you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Distinctive bell - nice low tech solution.
    - might be time to drag up that bit about motorists being cacooned away from ambient noise..

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

motorists being cacooned away from ambient noise

And a lot of cyclists too - how many wear mp3s/Walkmans ?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

And a lot of cyclists too - how many wear mp3s/Walkmans ?
    The boombox in the car tends to have a bit more power than ickle earphones. And cars are designed to reduce noise from outside.

Next...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Pic from article

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Originally posted by a_ominous
    The boombox in the car tends to have a bit more power than ickle earphones. And cars are designed to reduce noise from outside.

Next...

Try turing an IPOD up full and you wont be able to hear anything, ALOT louder taking into account how close they are to your ears.

Advertisement