Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caslevania: lament of innocence

Options
  • 08-02-2004 4:11pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The Castlevania series is one of the few videogame series to match the Legend of Zelda series in terms of consistently brilliant games. However just like the Zelda series has the CDI games, Castlevania's first two 3D games on the N64 weren't exactly stellar. So how does the new Castlevania game on the PS2 that happens to be in 3D match up to rest of the legendary series?

The game was created by the team behind Castlevania SOTN and Castlevania Rondo of Blood which happen to be the two best games in the castlevania series. And from what i've played of this game it looks like they have another classic to add to their record.

Graphically the game follows the usual Castlevania tradition, they are quite bland and not really special most of the time with the odd graphically effect that will amaze you. However they get the job done of giving the game it's eerie atmosphere and gothic feel.

However it's how the game plays that really stands out. The main character is an absolute joy to control. The castle is divided into 5 non-linear areas that need to be explored and only some parts of the castle are opened after you get certain skills. It's a bit like the metroid games and the latter castlevania games. The combat does get a bit repetitive after a while but you'll keep playing just to see what the next area looks like.

A special note must be given to the music. It is composed by the same composer of the Castlevania SOTN soundtrack and in my opinion rivals the SOTN soundtrack as one of the best games soundtracks ever.

I've got my hands on a PAL version early from Konami. The game has 60Hz mode and there are no PAL border lines at all. Also all the religious imagery and gore seems to be in this version (the west usually gets castlevanias with less gore and the removal of religious symbols like crosses).

Anyone who is a fan of Castlevania will love this game and I'd recommend it to everyone especially people who liked the exploration gameplay of the Metroid games.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ive read a good few bad reviews and heard a load of bad things , might rent it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i'm guessing that its a ps2 exclusive?
    the metroid style exploration sounds interesting

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Its more than likely is a PS2 exclusive. I have been only playing it since yesterday but so far it has been great. The only weakness is the combat which gets a bit repetitive since the enemies respawn when you leave the room and the combat system isn't too hot when you are fight loads of weak bad guys. However it has been great fun so far which is the most important thing in my opinion. It's not in the same class as the metroid or newer castlevanias but its still a great game. However its early days and I might change my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    However just like the Zelda series has the CDI games, Castlevania's first two 3D games on the N64 weren't exactly stellar.

The N64 Castlevanias weren't THAT bad. While yes, they aren't as great as the 2D Castlevanias, I wouldn't go as far as comparing them to those Zelda monstrosities.

I'd say it would remain a PS2 exclusive, although Konami seems to have taken a liking to the Xbox recently...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Personally, i thought it was horrible. The N64 versions allowed for some platform type action and general wandering about. I found lament of innocence to be lacking in practically everything. Each of the stages are linear, requiring you to hit the two attack buttons over and over again against the neverendingly boring line of enemies. Extra skills are uninteresting and pretty useless, same can be said for the artifacts you need for special powers which takes ages to get.

If you really have to own another castlevania, then its maybe worth it, but if you dont want a cr4p game, steer clear.

*edit* may have been a bit rough, its not _that_ bad, but its definetly not for people who don't have a liking for the series, the character models are great, the sound is pretty sweet and the story ain't too bad, albeit a bit too obvious.
    Kinda reminds me of chaos legion, which i had a liking for, but i gather by the price of it in shops, no one else does. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement