Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postcounts

Options
  • 08-02-2004 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

yes the postcount debate returns from its sabbatical.

What are peoples views on post counts ? Should they be hidden so that we can't see them apart from peoples tags such as "No life" etc ?

Will it cut down on the increasing amount of postcount envy thats been seen of late ?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭substr

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I think maybe that you should have to click on their profile to see them, but I wouldn't get rid of them altogether.

Originally posted by substr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

very constructive
    I think they should be left. Just (temp)ban people who spam, or post rubbish in whatever forums.
    That thread about Use25345345 or whatever was the biggest waste of time, cos if User2353423 had posted enough crap to be banned then he would have been banned wouldn't he?
    The post count, posts per day and join date, give you a bit more info on each poster, which is good.
    Leave them say!

Originally posted by lafortezza
    very constructive
    I think they should be left. Just (temp)ban people who spam, or post rubbish in whatever forums.
    That thread about Use25345345 or whatever was the biggest waste of time, cos if User2353423 had posted enough crap to be banned then he would have been banned wouldn't he?
    The post count, posts per day and join date, give you a bit more info on each poster, which is good.
    Leave them say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

You wouldn't do that if Monty was here..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

down with post counts!

postcount++ ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rolleyes

Originally posted by DapperGent

Originally posted by rolleyes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

:dunno:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Originally posted by DRakE
    :dunno:

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Originally posted by lafortezza
    very constructive
    Leave them say!

Their post count, posts per day and join date should have no relevance.

Originally posted by Emboss
    Their post count, posts per day and join date should have no relevance.
    You are only saying that because you are a noob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

You are only saying that because you are a noob.

Y0REMA'S A N00B?

oh wait this isn't the cs forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

hmm...take away the posts per day.
    or better still...have a check box in UCP to hide posts per day for other users.

Y0REMA'S A N00B?

My ma never played with computers at all, so she was even worse than a noob.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

leave my god damn post count and post count per day alone, alone i tell ya

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I don't think spam is purely a function of post-counts. More the fact that some people are just f*cktards. Ban the spammers.

Post counts are handy for telling weather people have a lot of experience in certain topics. For example, if your on a Board like porgramming, or IOFFL, and someone gives you a tip without really explaining it, it can be handy to judge whether thats a helpful tip by their post count.

I say keep it.

Originally posted by mr_angry
    Post counts are handy for telling weather people have a lot of experience in certain topics. For example, if your on a Board like porgramming, or IOFFL, and someone gives you a tip without really explaining it, it can be handy to judge whether thats a helpful tip by their post count.

how does a post count help you judge if someone has experience in a certain topic? I could go post on the gardening forum right now and hand out advice... and peoples plants would probably die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

True. I never claimed it was an exact science, but in general, it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Originally posted by mr_angry
    I don't think spam is purely a function of post-counts. More the fact that some people are just f*cktards. Ban the spammers.

I say keep it.

But thats the point right there, isnt it?

What does my postcount or my posts per day, have to do with my experience with programming or quantum physics or whatever.

People are using post counts to see how "old skool" someone is, and whether or not they should listen to their opinions. I know I myself am guilty of that very thing. That said, I'm perfectly comfortable about that and so long as its pretty clear how the game is played... I dont see a problem.

i find registered date much better tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭NinjaBart

yeh, keep the registered date and lose the postcounts :p

Y0REMA'S A N00B?

Yes it is :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Phreak
    i find registered date much better tbh
    I dont

Originally posted by NinjaBart
    yeh, keep the registered date and lose the postcounts :p
    No dont do this at all

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Muppets will be muppets, and if you block one avenue of muppetry then others will open up. The devil you know is better than the one you don't.

Personally I'd rather a different form of ignore button - the current one is too all or nothing. An ignore where I can see the posts - but I don't get notified about them. - or maybe something that changes their avatar or lightens the font colour or makes it smaller ?

If you have been in a forum for a while you get to recognise regular posters. If you are new then best thing to do is watch and don't take the first replies as gospel.

Allowing an option for more than 25 entries on a page for when searching for users posts would help, people on broadband, filter out users.

I dont

you only have 26 posts... who cares what you think?!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Phreak
    you only have 26 posts... who cares what you think?!
    27 :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement