Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery bargains

• 08-02-2004 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

So where do you buy your batteries? I used to get the pack of 20 panasonics in argos for €8 or there abouts. I recently bought 36 rayovac alkaline batterys in B&q in the liffey centre for €11.50. Saw 100 acme branded alkaline battery's in pc-world out there 4 sumthin like €30 aswell.

Has any1 else seen or got any gud deals on batterys recently.

I hav to laugh at duracell batterys sometimes. Sure they last 2x as long but they're 4x the price! :D

And I don't think i'd buy batteries that wern't alkaline these days.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Rechargables.
    Pref. NiMH - less toxic than NiCAD (Cadmium = nasty)
    and last three times longer.
    When AA NiCAD's first came out you would get 500mAH now the better NiMH's give 2000mAH - which has got to be in or around Zinc-Carbon.

Last time I measure a walkman it used 130mA playing tape (and about 30 mA on radio) - so 2000mAH would give 25Hours on tape and 66 Hours on radio.

You can also get solar panel chargers and fast chargers - so no need wait overnight.

Just before Christmas LIDL had 8 of the 2000mAH batteries and a charger for €20 - Keep that in mind next time you want to spend €30 on stuff destined for the bin ARGOS page 910 - €19.90 4 NiMH 1300maH (10hours on the above walkman) + charger. , Another set of 4 €9.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I got some duracell from www.7dayshop.com ... I think it worked out at around 7Euro for 10...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Capt'n Midnight is spot on, stop wasting your money on throwaways and buy a fast charger and some high power NiMh rechargables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭s8n

on the subject wheres the cheapest place to buy spare camcorder batteries??

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Originally posted by s8n
    on the subject wheres the cheapest place to buy spare camcorder batteries??

www.sterlingtek.com are good. They sell clones - I bought ones for my camcorder and Ixus there - they work grand and are way cheaper than the genuine articles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Anyone know a good spot to buy an IBM laptop battery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Agree with the use of NiMH - they're waaay better value for money than any throwaways.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Why not try eBay. I've just paid €10.32 (converted from US$) incl. p&p for
    4 x AA NiMH (2000mAh) and 4 x AAA NiMH (750mAh).
    Would have cost me over €30 in Argos...

peckerhead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I have a Ni-Cd charger in the house and I am looking to get batteries. Would you recommend me buying Cd batteries or getting a new charger and buying Nm?

Cheers.

Ni-Cd batteries are not great imho, they hold only 1/3 of the charge of a good Ni-Mh and do not last as long, also you have to let them discharge before recharging or they will get damaged and hold only a fraction of their full power..

• Advertisement

Originally posted by peckerhead
    Why not try eBay. I've just paid €10.32 (converted from US$) incl. p&p for
    4 x AA NiMH (2000mAh) and 4 x AAA NiMH (750mAh).
    Would have cost me over €30 in Argos...

peckerhead

Could you give a link to that seller?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Just before Christmas LIDL had 8 of the 2000mAH batteries and a charger for €20

That was a sweet deal :)

Got myself two of them at the time. The yoke also works off the car's cigarette lighter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

John R, here you go:

http://www.stores.ebay.com/starbellaenterprises

Trick is to use a sniper (free one at www.snip.pl — all the others charge...) and pick out an auction listed at $0.99 (or just bid in the last minute...) I found them v.good, posted really fast, and the batteries are AOK.

Bit mad that the 8 batteries cost under $2 (€1.60-ish) and all the rest is postage, but wtf...

Cheers, peckerhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Energiser NiMH charger (the one I have) is going for UK£10 (~€15) clearance here

[edit]
    even better, svp have it for UK£5.49 here

It is what it's.

Advertisement