Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT approval not compulsory for tax and insurance

Options
  • 08-02-2004 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/02/08/story133222.html
    NCT approval not compulsory for tax and insurance
    08/02/2004 - 9:29:04 am

Motorists may be needlessly forking out thousands of Euro for improvements to their car following a revelation that the NCT certificate is not necessary to obtain tax or insurance.

The Department of Transport says NCT approval has not been compulsory [to obtain tax or insurance] since 2001.

But the NCT group has issued notices to hundreds of thousands of car owners saying tax offices won't tax their car unless it has passed the test.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Motorists may be needlessly forking out thousands of Euro for improvements to their car
    Misleading. No mention of the fact that the NCT is a LEGAL REQUIREMENT for cars over a certain age. Whether the NCT is needed to obtain tax/insurance is pretty irrelevant because if someone needs to fork out "thousands of euro" to get their car through the NCT, they'll still have to do it to be road legal, regardless of whether an NCT cert is required for tax/insurance or not. So I have a problem with the word "needlessly" in this instance.

In any case, how many motorists fork out thousands of euros to put their car through the NCT. Very few, I'll bet. Anyway, if a car needs thousands spent on it, it could well be because the car has been severely abused and not maintained properly throughout its life (due to tight and careless owners) and this catches up with the car at NCT time.

BrianD3

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I agree with you Brian but they shouldn't have been telling people that it was necessary for tax purposes.

But the NCT group has issued notices to hundreds of thousands of car owners saying tax offices won't tax their car unless it has passed the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

QUOTE]In any case, how many motorists fork out thousands of euros to put their car through the NCT.[/QUOTE]

I say lots, not maybe directly on NCT but there is a lots of people which went out there and got new car because of NCT.

Many people at work just went out and both 8000-10000 car which will need NCT in two years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Did you know . . .

The online motor tax System is going to be in use nationwide in the next month or so and, as a result, as well as not producing your NCT, you also won't need to produce your insurance to tax your car in a tax office either (to keep it consistent with not producing one when taxing it online).

In fact you won't need to produce *any* documents (except a CRW Pass Statement, if it is due - which I don't think you'll be able to do online, though (unless that changes too)) - You'll just a renewal form and the money.

Tommy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

very misleading but either way you have to get a NCT no matter what.

ie: If your selling it on surely the person buying your car is going to wonder why you have no NCT and unless the purchaser is as dodgy as yourself you'll never shift it. (third person)

Of all the taxes charges etc, i think the NCT is the only one that actually is worth its weight. At least it gets all the crap cars off the road that might otherwise come racing up your ass at a set of traffic lights with faulty brakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by TommyK
    The online motor tax System is going to be in use nationwide in the next month or so and, as a result, as well as not producing your NCT, you also won't need to produce your insurance to tax your car in a tax office either (to keep it consistent with not producing one when taxing it online). In fact you won't need to produce *any* documents (except a CRW Pass Statement, if it is due - which I don't think you'll be able to do online, though (unless that changes too)) - You'll just a renewal form and the money.
    You will need to be able to produce the reference numbers though, so they can check.

See here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140216

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭supra

sorry lads,so if a cop pulls u over and u dont have an nct,but u have insurance and tax and all lights and number plates and tyres(etc) ok,he cant get u into trouble??

to get insurance,i always need to send in my nct to hibernian.whats the story?
    just checking...............

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

if you have no NCT then you have no NCT. A garda is not a mechanic so him looking at your tyres etc. means sweet fa. He is there to check if the appropriate person (NCTS) has given the car the once over. IIRC he can have your car siezed if there is no NCT and he feels like it.

How old is your car? Is it an age thing that hibernian ask for the cert or are they just using their perogative?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by supra
    sorry lads,so if a cop pulls u over and u dont have an nct,but u have insurance and tax and all lights and number plates and tyres(etc) ok,he cant get u into trouble?? to get insurance,i always need to send in my nct to hibernian.whats the story? just checking...............
    All the above mean is you don't need the NCT to get your tax, you still need to get your NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You do not require an NCT to get your motor tax or insurance renewed. However, if caught without the NCT, you're subject to a rather large fine (somewhere north of four hundred euro if I remember correctly). Plus, you'd be driving a substandard car, which could reduce your chances of avoiding or surviving a crash rather significantly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm not so sure that you don't need the NCT for insurance. Although the insurance companies will take your money and give you an insurance cert without seeing the NCT cert, I bet they would try to try to wriggle out of paying up (or perhaps only cover you third party) if you had an accident in a car that should have been NCT'd but wasn't.

There's probably some small print in insurance policies which gives them the right to do this.

I have heard anecdotes about insurers refusing to pay out after an accident because the car was found to have been unroadworthy (eg bald tyres) at the time of the accident.

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭supra

my car was 94,,,had to send in the nct cert even though had the same car for years.....(if i getting temp insurance for a day or a week they dont ask)...
    at the mo cause of nct delay(or charlie greedyness), u dont need an nct cert to get road tax cause charlie mC just wants the money

Advertisement