Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sumtings in the air...BUT IT DOESNT SMELL LIKE LOVE.

Options
  • 08-02-2004 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

So Valintines day is coming....again. Call me bitter, twisted etc, but god I hate it. The pink....the fake fur....the evil grinning nakedbaby cherub things....

*shudder*

So...the age old debate:
    St. V's.... beautiful superhappyfun day celebrating love and all that is good in the world...or evil consumeristic (did I make that word up? anyway...) ''hallmark holiday''?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Valentines Day is important simply because of the sacrafices made by people for their significant others. If you do nothing on Valentines Day it means that you aren't willing to go along with crap to show love for whoever. It doesn't mean the day has any REAL meaning or value but if you do do something for it it can speak spades about you.

My oversimplified 2c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

<<play nice bob :P >>

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

/me needs advice as to wtf to do for valentines day...i'm hopeless. really. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

the romans had the idea down better. they'd have lotteries - and boys would pick girls names randomly and voila! random . . . pairing up . . . would ensue. then the church came and changed that. bah.
    too much emphasis is put on it, anyway. and way too much pressure.
    so, it's become a skulk-in-the-corner-with-your-friends-and-gorge-on-lovely-food-while-narrowing-your-eyes-at-couples-and-buying-roses-for-yourself-cause-of-course-you-deserve-it-day. :D but, its kind of a nice when you're not obligated to come up with some new genius present idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Originally posted by gigglingrat
    So Valintines day is coming....again. Call me bitter, twisted etc, but god I hate it. The pink....the fake fur....the evil grinning nakedbaby cherub things....

*shudder*

So...the age old debate:
    St. V's.... beautiful superhappyfun day celebrating love and all that is good in the world...or evil consumeristic (did I make that word up? anyway...) ''hallmark holiday''?

Something tells me gigglinrat, that you are single and/or have been dumped recently

I think valentines day is more than a hallmark holiday, and though i think you should show your love every day of the year, it is nice to be able to focus your efforts

Personally im celebrating the week more than the day, but as my gf is on the opposite side of a large body of water, im making do with sending her an ecard every day this week

Ah, nerd love

Raph

[edit: maybe boards DOES need a spellchecker :p ]

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Raphael
    [edit: maybe boards DOES need a spellchecker :p ]

Or maybe you need to be beaten black and blue with a dead fish!

"Love is how you make it"

<troll> :ninja:

jaffer, i said it once and i say it again, your 14-ness is showing.

:p

Since the 1st of february its 15-ness, to be pedantic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭gigglingrat

Okay...
    Theres nothing wrong with showing someone that you care for them, its the sheer volume of waste that really kills me...
    eg, 1 billion cards are sent on valentines day.

And people wonder where all those pretty rainforests got to?....

And I havnt been dumped, Im natually embittered and cynical:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

It's really sad that someone so young should be so cynical and bitter, if only the world had been kinder to you... asking you to get a Saturday job and perhaps iron your own clothes really was taking it a bit too far... DAMN YOU AWFUL WORLD.

God forsaken angst -- come back to me when you invent a time machine, become a Jew and finally, travel to Berlin in 1940... then I'll respect your "natually embittered and cynical" state of mind.

• Advertisement

Bob dont make me paste old thread links in here .... :P

jaffer: no no, you're 14ness is still showing. Might wanna get a cream for that.

<pedantic>

It's raphael now

</pedantic>

No no it's still Jaffer. And aren't you banned? :p

you'll always be Jaffer to me kiddo :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

I have no contribution to make other than
    owned.jpg

Also, love is silly. And stuff. I'd articluate my bitterness, but would there be a point?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭strawberry

Love isn't silly.

Laura and Lisa and I are going to have our own Valentines love in. We have one another if no one else.

*mutter mutter debators mutter*

<urge to comment on graces planned mini mass debate rising...>

Oh I'm such a giddy 15 year old at heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

I find how teenagers' attitudes towards the day rather amusing...the 'Must get a boyfriend before Valentine's Day' rush is quite laughable...do fourteen- to fifteen-year-olds really need boy/girlfriends? I suppose that seems to be the case in my year. Also, when I get comments such as 'Don't worry, you'll have a boyfriend next year' and a comforting pat on the arm (It's happened every February 14th since 6th class) I don't hit the person who made the comment. Instead I end up on the floor laughing.
    As for the day itself...it is what it is...I don't know...some people like it, others despise it. I'm indifferent...it's just another day to me, really, except a day during which it's acceptable to be spiteful towards couples...and loads of people join in the scheming...but not in a malicious way...just a way to keep oneself from screaming with annoyance at all of the couple-ness.
    And on the subject on love, having never been in love I can't comment, but from what I can gather it's some form of insanity.

Originally posted by Scarlett
    having never been in love I can't comment, but from what I can gather it's some form of insanity.

Its a form of brain fever really....but its enjoyable :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭tibilt

Originally posted by OrangeRhino

God forsaken angst -- come back to me when you invent a time machine, become a Jew and finally, travel to Berlin in 1940... then I'll respect your "natually embittered and cynical" state of mind.

you would do well to remember all is relative. just because she didnt live through the holocaust doesn't mean she has no reason to be bitter. the world is different now. there are new injustices. your statement implies that unless you have suffered on a grand and epic scale you dont deserve to feel the way you feel if that feeling is embittered. what gives you the right to trivialise the feelings of someone who know's nothing but what they feel? how are we supposed to compare our lives to the lives of a jew in holocaust berlin? it's ridiculous. of course there is always somebody worse off than us, but that doesnt mean we don't have the right to feel embittered because we're not happy. what exactly is the point in living if your not striving to be happy? a pleasant medium is about all we get. but perhaps your right on one count, complaining isnt the answer. happiness is whatever you make for yourself. and love isnt happiness. valentines day isn't happiness. but it is one of the rituals we have that gives us a chance. getting a valentine, superficial as it may be, is still a source of brief joy, no matter how many trees died for it. and why not? and why not feel a little cynical when you find yourself left out of these rituals? when our lives, as insignificant as they may be compared to the cruelty of history's injustices, are jaded by the new materialistic machine of injustice we all obey in silence today, why can't we feel a little bitter about that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

Thats right ladies and gentlemen, I will be debating for valentines day, lots and lots of debating again and again because (ladies and gentlemen) I feel it only fair that I leave grace and her merry threesome to whatever it is they will get up to in the absence of the rest of us. And yes I wont be alone in my debating :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭freakydeadgirl

one reconmendation:
    don't eat those "sweetheart" candies (you know the little hearts with the sayings like" u r cool" . "call me", "cutie" ect.) in spite. i did that last year and regret doing it. which of course wont stop me from doing it again this year.
    can't wait to hear my friends b*tchings about love and all of that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭the_only_Ali

I like those candy heart things. They're all fizzy and if u put them in coke, and shake it, it goes all crazy and squirts everywhere...
    yeah.
    Anyway, I really don't like Valentines Day.
    Aplogies to all who do. I'm sorry. I honestly don't believe I'm worse off than a Jew in the holocaust. I just don't like it. I'm sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I like Christmas if that helps.
    sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

i heart valentine's day

i think it's a really sweet way for boys to show their girls that they like them. i also believe chicks shouldn't have to buy their boys stuff for valentines.

also, when you go out on valentines, all the couples are busy in the back of a car or in the cinema or having dinner or the like, so a lot of places are full of single boys. which is fine by me.

also, when you go out on valentines, you get two boxes of milk tray and a red rose.

i don't feel bitter about couples. i feel happy for all my friends who have someone, and i'm not arsed that i don't have anyone.

plus, it's a good day to get all dressed up and slut it about with yer single mates.

the pink fluff is optional, it's not like every girl is gagging for a bit of pink fluff stuck to some glitter, but if that's what floats your girlfriend's boat then by all means go forth and prosper.

if that's what lights your boyfriend's candle then you have some issues to work through.

Originally posted by purplepolkadot
    i think it's a really sweet way for boys to show their girls that they like them. i also believe chicks shouldn't have to buy their boys stuff for valentines.

You are a bimbo. why i hear you ask? well look at the quote. Q E fucking D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭shep the malevolent pixie

jeezus yiz are all very angry little bunnies aren't ye?! chill. :cool:

valentine's day is evil, just created by giant corporations to make everyone feel bad and spend money. well either that or it's them blasted goats again...them goats are to blame for everything. goddamnit. :rolleyes:

i think everyone should buy everyone presents. i like presents. wait, scrap that, i think everyone should buy me presents. yes. buy me presents. NOW!!

quiet or i'll eat your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭freakydeadgirl

it should be renamed "singles awareness day"
    thats all it is. it just reafrims the fact that you are single
    f-ing holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

here i'm not a bimbo. i may be a bit effeminate (understandable, seein as i don't have a willy) in thinking that showing affection to your missus is sweet, but that does not a bimbo make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by freakydeadgirl
    f-ing holidays
    It's called a holiday, but we don't get any time off school/college/work just for it. [Insert obvious point here]

• Advertisement

Ah but really life is just one big holiday... that you don't get time off for. Unless, of course, you're me. :D

Advertisement