Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to get Dwarf Hamsters

• 08-02-2004 8:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭

My gerbils kicked the bucket over Christmas (Over 4 years old though, so they done well) and im thinking of getting 2/3 Male Dwarf Hamsters. Anyone have any recommendations of where to get them?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Dwarf (russian) hamsters are very cute, but dont expect them to be as placid as some syrian (normal) hamsters are. They are known to be a lot more aggressive. And from my experience, except for rare cases, this is very very true.

Unless ur thinking of breeding, and given that u want 2 males, i assume ur not. I recommend getting one regular hamster instead.

Dwarfs are less territorial than the normals, BUT two males can still be problematic, females are a much better choice.

Be aware also that having two will probably make them more interested in each other and less in spending time with u ;)

I adored hamsters, and after many years experience with breeding and keeping both types, I really really recomend getting a normal (syrian) hamster instead, try and buy one that has been well handled, it pays divedends not to have to go thru the "dont bite me!" process. ;)

If u do buy a biter, rubbing something foul tasting into ur hands b4 handling will help, there is a no chew spray type thing u can get for puppies (cant remember the name but it was made from some kind of citrus) that i used to use.

Hope that helps.

B :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Thanks for the advice Dawntreader. I thought males would be more passive (male gerbils seem to be, but thats about all my experience there). Are the hamsters not sociable and like to be with each other? Gerbils, again, seem to much prefer to have another gerbil to snuggle up with to stay warm is this not the case with hamsters? Would hate to have a lonely hamster.
    Boardwalk pets have some hamsters in and are charging €17 each, not sure if thats the going rate or not but they seem like a nice pet shop. I tried the ISPCA, but they dont have any at the moment.

Normal hamsters are not sociable and should be kept one per cage.
    Russian dwarfs are *slightly* different, they can be kept in pairs, although, 2 males will fight a lot more than gerbils and even somtimes 2 females will.

Gerbils are by nature colony animals, living in large social and familly groups, hamsters go their own way asap and only meet up for breeding.

Personally, as a pet, I recomend getting a single syrian (normal, not dwarf) hamster, as i said, make sure it is tamed before u buy it, make the guy in the store show you how to hold it, and make sure hes not "scruffing" it tho (holding it by the loose neck skin, like a puppy or kitten to make it sit still trying to fool u into thinking its tame, oldest trick in the book ).

If you get a nice tempered, tame hamster, not a dwarf, you will end up with a very handleable friend for years. Some of mine used to sit by me while i watched tv, sleep on my lap and in my pockets, and sit on my shoulder to be carried around! :)

This site might help -> http://www.petwebsite.com/buying_hamsters.htm

B

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭paulthelegend

Was about to tell you that boardwalk have some :) but you seen them already... try city pets in talbot street, but 15-17 would be the going rate for them.

Thanks a million for your advise lads. Looking through that website now, i will most likely follow your advise Dawntreader and get a Syrian. :)

• Advertisement

Here's my new Hamster. He's called Spartacus!

Spartacus%20Small%20Version.jpg

He is very, very fluffy.

awwww :)
    he tame?

b

Very tame. Eats out of my hand (well, shoves his food into his pouch things) and doesnt mind being picked up and put on your shoulder and stuff. Doesnt like being enclosed in your hands though and tries to jump out.
    Seems to love climbing. When he is awake (gets up once in the afternoon and then at 8.45-9pm every night) he starts climbing and even goes upside down at the top of the cage before getting a big run outside in his ball or supervised in the hall.

He was the last one in the litter at Boardwalk pets and was 14 weeks old when we got him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've gone through several generations of Russian dwarf hamsters at this stage, and I've found them to be great pets. Unfortunately Dawntreader is right in the sense that they aren't the easiest of pets to handle. I've have female pairs, who were from the same litter and developed tumours and died within a month of each other.

Apparently the breed is quite prone to diabetes and tumours, so be aware of that.

At the moment, I have a single male Djungarian dwarf hamster named jubjub, who I am immensely proud of because he is a fat bas**ard and proud of it. Dwarves are very cute little guys to watch.

BTW, i live in Cork and the going rate for a dwarf down here is about E10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I had a few Syrians,nice pets albeit pretty boring.I've since converted to birds and never looked back!

• Advertisement

Just a side note that might interest u.
    I have always thought cages are completely unsuitable for hamsters, mainly because of their climbing and gnawing, they can fall from the roof and hurt their delicate backs, and can screw up their teeth on the bars, not to mention getting paws and feet caught in the bars as they fall.

I found a 2foot aquarium is the best possible cage, very easy to clean and great viewing, plus you dont have that tiny little annoying door to deal with, and u can put all sorts of toys in easilly.

Often pet stores will sell u a cracked (it dosent need to be waterproof, as long as there is no sharp bits) aquarium for as little as €20, and iv picked them up in buy and sell for €5!

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Aquariums can give poor ventilation tho,so they can heat up if it's hot.I kept mine in those plastic cages with wire on top,problem is they can chew thru the plastic.
    My cage was similar to this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've always used wire cages, as I feel that plastic walled/aquariums don't offer enough ventilation or room for manouevre. My little guy spends ages climbing, and while he has no problem getting up, it's coming back down that poses severe difficulties. His favourite method of coming back down seems to be just letting go and letting himself fall. However, I figure that it's no more than he would be doing in the wild.

Advertisement