Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone here go to trinity

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

Havent Noticed it at all tbh, maybe because i use the ham. They get pretty pissed if you put the books back yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Nike_Dude

apparently so competitive that people run to the library after getting their booklists for their course and "hide" all the best course books in a random section of the library.
    Its not as bad as this and plus as 80project said the short loans collection has loads of copies of the core textbooks. Highlighting unimportant stuff doesnt happen that often but I have seen wasters who will highlight every line of a case for some reason:dunno: Generally the library is good though and you can get a copy of ANY book that was published in Ireland or England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭pseudonym

Am in 1st year in trinity and can say that religion is not a problem at all, i mean how are you going to know someone's religion unless they tell you?? And noonnes come up to me with a baseball bat yet and asked me. As for expenses, its not AS bad as you think its goin to be if youre sensible (& stick to bavaria a lot of the time). The science library is a bit iffy, but if youre determined you can probably find the book youre looking for (or very similar, or a previous edition). I live in halls this year and its fairly good, but it is a bit of a distance from the college (40 min walk, 15 min cycle, bus depends on traffic).

Anyway, hope that helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Religion/Demographics
    Like the population of the republic, the VAST majority of TCD students and staff are Catholic - don't know why this matters, but I thought I'd point it out. It's a very peculiar question, if you don't mind me saying so - you obviously have a very 1950's type mindset if you think that Trinity is such a protestant institution.

I've heard Trinity referred to as the "Culchie College" - because there's such a wide-ranging geographical cross-section of people there - it has a much lower percentage of Dubliners than UCD for example. If you're worried about D4 heads then stay at home forever and never leave your house ever, that way you'll never have to meet any. If you're interested in going to college, ANY college, they're there - if you don't like them, ignore them. That's what most adults do with people they don't like

Library
    Hiding books/highlighting/tearing out pages of Library happens in every university library in Ireland - and I've worked in four of them. It's just a fact of life - unfortunately there are selfish people out there and some of them will be in your class, no matter which college you go to. Bring it to the Library staff's attention and they'll do something about it.

Whatever college you do end up going to, you'll find good and bad points. Take the advice on the boards of people who have done the course you're interested in and ignore those who deal only in generalities. You're taking the right step by trying to get informed before you make any decision - that's all you can do. Remember though that nothing is set in stone, and if you do end up in a course or college you don't like, you can always change. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭stoopidkid

uary-what subjects dya wanna study? il be startin science in tcd this year myself after takin a year out..can anyone tell me what the workload is gonna be like coz im a bit rusty on the whole studyin front after sittin on my ass all year at work..i wanna do geography n biology

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭strawberry

Trinity isn't that expensive if you can resist the temptation to spend all your money on drink. Science books seem to be 60 euro max, and you won't need to buu that many of them. I'm also pretty sure you can get quit a few of them second hand from people the year before, or the inevitable drop-outs.

The Catholic, Protestant thing doesnt matter at all. I'd say the attitude is more of 'who gives a ****, get your ass into this century' than 'i'm going to shoot you with a cross-bow from the campanile'.

I love my course in trinity, but as I'm doing law and french that doesn't count. i know a few ppl in science, they all seem to enjoy what they're doing. I think the lectures can be a bit slow in the beginning because not everyone has the same level from the leaving cert. You should make sure you actually like science and math though because otherwise going down that route will be a pain in the ass. If you want to go on erasmus or to the states, you should check which colleges have the best programmes for that.

Trinity is great for societies too, especially if you're majorly into debating, sport, or if you have a ranting tendency that you wish to work out with a policitical party. The fact that its in the centre of town means that there's always somethiig to do, and you start bumping into ppl you know all the time after a few months (or so my culchie friends say).

All the comments from law people really dont apply in the case of science. The levels of D4 ppl in science are lower than in law,and they'e probably of a lower profile in science too, because they're prolly not as 'ambitious' (read 'in your face') as in law. Also, law students are far more prone to nicking books than any other I do believe, and I think that a lot of the stuff you need for science, you can find on the web, so unless they've learnt how to steal webpages you're alright there :)

And a lot of the time, it's your attitude that counts when it comes to how well you fit in, so whereve you go, make sure you want to go there, and can be optimistic about it!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

*shrug*

i think everywhere has their percentage of D4's and various other tosser categories. the religion thing won't be a problem in trinners, most of the lecturers there are catholic anyway. reason i didn't go there: none apart from the fact my mates were going to UCD, but there's the in-city advantage with trinity (especially if you want accoommodation) - the rooms in UCD are rank i'm told.

Advertisement