Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good rippers!!!!!!!!

• 08-02-2004 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

im lookin for a good encoder, tryin to encode my cd's into mp3 format... the free version of real player only lets you rip at a max of 98kbps and im looking to rip at 128kbps, was on www.download.com and alot of them either have lots of spyware or aint free, was gonna get CDex but the link is down, any suggestions ppl?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i use cd_ex it's good for point and click encoding but EAC with LAME encoder is better. but i'm not sure where to download it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

cd ex is the slowest ever, i used it until i realised.
    win amp, is very very very fast ! faster than windows media player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by Placebo
    cd ex is the slowest ever, i used it until i realised.
    win amp, is very very very fast ! faster than windows media player.

don't you have to pay for winamp5 pro to gain access to the ripping features

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i use simple mp3 maker works for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 self_oppressed

not reall to worried about speed bc i just wanna use it for ripping the cd'd to mp3 format then i play them with itunes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 self_oppressed

heya what excatly is "EAC with LAME" was reading bout encoders using lame on download.com not sure what it is tho, aw well thats what google is for i guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

db poweramp is yer only man, encode to whatever you want to-excellent for mp3-
    if you want to encode or convert any to format to another just get the codec from the codec page, simple!

and free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Originally posted by self_oppressed
    not reall to worried about speed bc i just wanna use it for ripping the cd'd to mp3 format then i play them with itunes

Why not just use iTunes so ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

DBpowerAmp bestest encoder known to man :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

It all depends on whether you want quality OR speed?

For the bestquality i highyl recommend ]Exact Audio Copy. When its properly configured and in Sevure mode, you can look forward to skipless, crack-less and pop-less cd's. I have yet to get a bad rip on cds with scratches.

If you want the fastest ripper, then once again EAC is your man, but so is everything else. Put EAC in burst mode and it's as fast as any other ripper, but, if the CD is scratched there is no error correction done. EAC in burst mode acts like every other ripper out there.

The reason EAC is so good is that in Secure mode, it reads every sector on the cd twice, and if the results aren't exactly the same, it re-reads them until it can get the right read off it. In a worst case scenario, this is 32 rereads (i think). But usually it only takes 8.

Eac can be configured to use practically any codec out there, so you can make a lossless encoding, to wavpack or flac or shorten, or a lossy encoding to mp3 (lame obviously), ogg, musepack otr whatevber takes your fancy.

But for ripping the cd, EAC and Secure mode is the only way forward, unless of course yo don;t like quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,526 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Audiograbber is now freeware (as of today). I've been a registered user for 3 years, and I have no complaints....

- Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Musicmatch jukebox.
    Allows 320kps encoding. Not sure about error checking or speed but i'm happy with what it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SideshowBob

Real Player (the free version) will allow you to encode MP3s at up to 320Kbps if you download an extra codec (which is also free). I don't know why it's not part of the free version itself.
    To get it you need to select an option in one of the preference menus but I'm afraid I can't remember which - it's been a while since I downloaded. It's fast enough for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Realplayer, musicmatch, Audiograbber (afaik) all offer very little, if any, error correction. They rely on speed to boost sales.

Any ripping program can encode at 320kbps cbr etc. All it takes is 10 seconds of setting the encode options. The most important part of the ripping process is actually the program you use to extract the audio. In my opinion, Exact Audio copy does this the best. BUT, i think new versions of DBPoweramp are incorperating similar features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

i use jetAudio, rips converts, no annoying pop-ups, full media player with a few nice touches, and it supports ogg vorbis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

i use db poweramp and think its quite good for a free ripper...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Easy CD DA Extractor Version 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Saviour_Angel

I use Music Match Juke Box to RIP my CD's to MP3, it's free and very easy to use ! ! !

Advertisement