Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

`pool future ?

• 08-02-2004 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Liverpool need to guarantee o'neill for the summer. GH must move up/out. with o'niell we can win the prem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Crazy poster

Sums you up really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

They would be mad to get rid of GH in the summer , Dont forget how long it took fergie to win the league. Next year is Gerards year.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

who says o'neill wants to go to liverpool? he was linked with utd a couple of years ago when fergie was to retire, then with leeds, spurs and liverpool of late.

it's obvious pool fans dont want GH in the job with all the speculation surrounding his job yet they deny this and still want to give him time. seems to me they wont break the clubs history by going against "you'll never walk alone " ie sacking houllier.

they've fallen big time the past 2 years and failed to win anything major. O'neill continues to shine at celtic and smash all kinds of records. he's got celtic into a winning habit and at home they cannot be beaten. celtic park imo, is now the most difficult place in the world to get a result. it's a fortress and they've gone something like 2 and a half years without losing at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by smemon
    celtic park imo, is now the most difficult place in the world to get a result. it's a fortress and they've gone something like 2 and a half years without losing at home.

plus its paradise :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Liverpool won't sack Houllier, they're too stuck in that tradition of "we never sack managers".

I don't think Houllier will be wanting to move "upstairs" either, and I don't think he'd move on by himself. He wants to prove something, he wants to show that he's right.

They have some good players, but that claim by Henchoz that they're better than Manchester United was just plain insane. Gerard is a good midfielder, but Owen looks to be past it, just like Fowler was, time to move on I'm afraid. This LaTallec youngster seems to be they're best prospect for years, very exciting.

I'm not a Liverpool fan, but I cannot for the life of me understand why Heskey continually plays. Any Liverpool fan who disagrees with me is living in some kind of dreamland.

As for Martin O'Neill; I'd worry about appointing him. He did well with Leicester, he seems to be a good motivator of average players, which he has again proven at Celtic. I wouldn't get too excited about his role at Celtic. They're always going to be dominant along with Rangers in Scotland, so they're dominance is not down to O'Neill.

If Liverpool have any aspirations to get back into the so called "Big Time" of the Premier League, then they'll need to get in a manager and give him time, like they've done with Gerard Houllier. He's been given time, but his time is up.

Liverpool might well finish in a Champions League spot this season, but if I was a Liverpool fan I'd hope not, for these reasons:

a) Houllier might decide to call it a day off his own back.
    b) Owen might leave.
    c) Better chance of winning the UEFA Cup next season, and that could do the new manager the world of good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by seansouth

As for Martin O'Neill; I'd worry about appointing him. He did well with Leicester, he seems to be a good motivator of average players, which he has again proven at Celtic. I wouldn't get too excited about his role at Celtic. They're always going to be dominant along with Rangers in Scotland, so they're dominance is not down to O'Neill.

Emm what about guiding those "Average Players" to a Uefa Cup Final and beating Liverpool along the way???

:rolleyes:

Are you trying to say thet Celtic are anything more an "Average" side?

Hardly a team of world-beaters are they?

Yeah, so they beat Liverpool on the way to the UEFA Cup final, the difference was that O'Neill is a good motivator of average players, Houllier is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

but Owen looks to be past it, just like Fowler was, time to move on I'm afraid.

Go sell your particular brand of crazy somewhere else, Owen is and will be the best English Forward.

He`s a little off his sharpness, but when he reclaims his form and touch. he`s unstoppable. he`s only 23/24 ffs. hardly past it

Are you trying to say thet Celtic are anything more an "Average" side?

Hardly a team of world-beaters are they?

Yeah, so they beat Liverpool on the way to the UEFA Cup final, the difference was that O'Neill is a good motivator of average players, Houllier is not.

No I'm saying that you underating O'Neill's ability because by your own admission he has succeeded well with Average Players.

FYI I think Celtic are better than an average side, unbeaten at home in the CL!

Originally posted by bazH
    Go sell your particular brand of crazy somewhere else, Owen is and will be the best English Forward.

He`s a little off his sharpness, but when he reclaims his form and touch. he`s unstoppable. he`s only 23/24 ffs. hardly past it

OK, so past it was the wrong way to put it.

I meant it in terms of "past it" the way Beckham was at United, I don't think Owen's soul is "Liverpool" any more. Beckham used to say he was "United through and through", that he'd never leave, but for various reasons he moved on (don't turn this into a Fergie v Becks thread please).

Owen has started making noises that he's going to leave Liverpool if they don't qualify for the Champions League next season. If I was a Liverpool fan I'd say good riddance.

As for the "best english forward" claim, not hard to be is it? I mean with someone like Heskey as the competition, course Owen is up there, but the best English striker doesn't play for the national team, and it's Shearer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Owen is and will be the best English Forward

I think you'll find alan shearer is the best english forward ;)

Originally posted by irish1
    No I'm saying that you underating O'Neill's ability because by your own admission he has succeeded well with Average Players.

FYI I think Celtic are better than an average side, unbeaten at home in the CL!

Exactly, thats why I think he is bad for Liverpool's aspirations. He has no experience of spending money, and brings in Average players, and does well with them. This is not what Liverpool fans want, although it would be an improvement on the current situation of bringing in Average players and NOT doing well with them!

Originally posted by SheroN
    I think you'll find alan shearer is the best english forward ;)

Exactly, thats why I think he is bad for Liverpool's aspirations. He has no experience of spending money, and brings in Average players, and does well with them. This is not what Liverpool fans want, although it would be an improvement on the current situation of bringing in Average players and NOT doing well with them!

I disagree, I think he would do well with Liverepool, a lot of average players there.

If he can do that good with all average players imagine what he could do with a decent team??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

what he could do with a decent team??

thats the point some people are making, he has no experience at this end of management. Nor in deed had the present incumbent

I disagree, I think he would do well with Liverepool, a lot of average players there.

If he can do that good with all average players imagine what he could do with a decent team??

But he has no experience with a decent side, is what I'm saying, he doesn't have the know how to be in charge of a side with more money, how to entice better players to Liverpool.

But he has no experience with a decent side, is what I'm saying, he doesn't have the know how to be in charge of a side with more money, how to entice better players to Liverpool.

Did Feguson have that experience when he started with UTD, it's about taking a chance, and I think O'Neill would be excellent at getting players to the club.

Did Feguson have that experience when he started with UTD, it's about taking a chance, and I think O'Neill would be excellent at getting players to the club.

It took Ferguson five years to win anything with United.

Are you a Liverpool fan?

If so, then are you prepared to put up with another 5 years of winning nothing substantial.

What Liverpool need is someone to take them to the next level, and I personally don't think O'Neill is the man.

Houllier has done for Liverpool exactly what Ferguson did for United when he started out (lesser domestic prizes, and a lesser Euorpean trophy), and what Liverpool need now is someone to take them that step further.

Would you take a chance on Houllier to do this? I doubt it.

Given Liverpool's standing in the game, no manager should have trouble attracting players to the club, it just seems that O'Neill can only attract Average players.

Given Liverpool's standing in the game, no manager should have trouble attracting players to the club, it just seems that O'Neill can only attract Average players.

Not a Pool fan but have lived with 2 for 20 years.

O'Neill has only attracted Average players because of the restraints of the club he is with. At a big club I'm sure he would attract the top names.

If not O'Neill then who, coz I can't see too many top managers queueing at Anfield looking for the job.

Compare O'Neill to Evan's and Souness and I think he comes out top.

I also think Phil Thompson should be let go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

i'd love to know why the perpetually injured Owen , who can't do the business in the premiership anymore even when he is fit , thinks he's gonna (a) be signed by anyone with a CL qualification or (b) score any goals for anyone daft enough to sign him.

Owen is still living off his deeds of 2 years back, anyone signing him now would be taking a risk IMO. Admittedly I don't think Houlllier gives him much of a chance to shine when he puts him up front on his own or partnered with baffling Heskey , but he sure does not look anywhere near as sharp as he used to be for what ever combination of reasons.

I would be shocked if pool get into the CL this year, they really do not look good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

newcastle are going to get the 4th spot anyways.

Not a Pool fan but have lived with 2 for 20 years.

Know the feeling mate!

...At a big club...

define Big?

I also think Phil Thompson should be let go.

Good shout.
    Originally posted by growler

I would be shocked if pool get into the CL this year, they really do not look good enough.

Dont be too shocked, they're getting better, and Charlton will slide without Parker, so it seems Liverpool and Newcastle will fight it out for 4th place, Liverpool will do it IMO, although to the future detriment of the club, as I outlined in a previous post in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

owen i had a go at for the past season, never mind this. people through up statistics eg 20 something goals and fair enough he done the business as a striker. i still thought last season he was majorly disappointing compared to other seasons.

This season he's been injured for the most part. defenders rob him too easily nowadays imo, he's a poacher in and round the box and for that reason he'll get goals but if i were a pool fan and an england fan i'd be very worried about his sharpness nowadays. he cant get that half a yard he used to get. And its not just this season, it was last season aswell- 02/03.

I would not underestimate Martin O Neill as a manager. He was quite successful at Leicester be for going to Celtic and ending rangers domination in his first Year in Scotland. Before his arrival Rangers had won the league 9 seasons on the trot. You can only do the job given and I think he has the makings of an excellent manager fro the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by The Muppet
    I would not underestimate Martin O Neill as a manager. He was quite successful at Leicester be for going to Celtic and ending rangers domination in his first Year in Scotland. Before his arrival Rangers had won the league 9 seasons on the trot.
    You can only do the job given and I think he has the makings of an excellent manager fro teh premiership.

It was Wim Jansen that stopped Rangers getting 10 in a row...

Originally posted by Johnny_the_fox
    It was Wim Jansen that stopped Rangers getting 10 in a row...

Forgot about him . I think he was resonsible for signing laarson too but i still think O Neill is a good manager.

Advertisement