Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Placement!!

Options
  • 09-02-2004 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I need a job for a 6 month work placement from april til september.
    I'm from Cork and would like to stay here. I study Software Dev with Computer Networks....does anyone have any ideas where would be good experience or do ye know who is hiring!!!!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Fire off CVs to companies in your area.
    Look through the Golden pages for computer/networking companies, but don't limit yourself to that, many companies might take you on in their IT depts, banks might make especially good hunting grounds.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Does your college not have a placement office or do you just not trust them (like me at the same stage)?

Just send off CVs (making sure you aren't duplicating thw work of the placement office) with a *good* cover letter. When you're approaching unsolicited, the cover letter is the only thing that's going to stop them from throwing the CV straight into the bin.

Try and hammer all the American Megacorporations, they usually like to take in some nice, cheap student labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Ah, it's that season again. A pet gripe of mine.

Rant directed at work experience people in general (not you in particular jondom: I think you're ahead of the game already by being on Boards): None of these companies owe you fricking work experience, and your college has no more pull with most of them than my dog, so - unless you're very lucky - you'll get work experience that is relvant, and interesting, and unpaid, or paid and irrelevant, and rarely both.

If you're any good, and you show the firm your ability and interest, there's no problem with turning an unpaid but relevant promise into a paid one for the short time you're there. That's what happened to me way back in 1990. And they phoned me a month before graduation to see if I wanted to come back to them full-time.

If you're crap, lazy and disinterested, you shouldn't be wasting the company's time. Go to McDonalds and clean the grease traps, and ditch the course.

Most companies, even the big American ones, have no interest in having you on-site doing filing for the summer and paying you bux for it. Life's not like that.

Sheesh, rant off. Opinions, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Out of pure luck I scored a nice bit placement myself this year through the placement office in college doing something I'm very interested in and will be getting paid enough to get by :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

lol another CIT hopefull looking for work placement here
    dont expect anything really fire off the cv's but really imo from last year your better off trying to get someone you know to try and sort you out, most who got something last year did that even something for 3 months will be enough for cit
    dont wait for jerry to try and sort you out

does he even try anymore like!!
    there was loads of us left with nothing last year. I sorted myslef out at the last minute with a big help form one of my family

CIT eh :rolleyes: couldnt organise a shag in a brothel
    just wait till you get to 4th year!;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement