Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restoring/reformating yur computer

Options
  • 09-02-2004 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

So i've had my computer for about 4yrs now and i haven't ever reformatted it so i reckon i need to. Only problem is that i've lost the quick restore cd. I'm getting a new computer in a bout a week(a dell 8300) and i was wondering would i be able to use the quick restore cd from the 8300 on this computer(dell 4400) and then just put in the license number for this one? so is that possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

No, they are different operating systems, presumably. The quick restore cd is for use with the particular o/s that came installed on the computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

If you wait a week, you can transfer all your data and settings when you get your Windows XP CD from Dell. Then you'll have the curent settings on your new PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Originally posted by ColmOT [MSFT]
    If you wait a week, you can transfer all your data and settings when you get your Windows XP CD from Dell. Then you'll have the curent settings on your new PC.

so i can use the cd that i'll get with my new comp yeah?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The old quick restore CD will not have drivers for the new PC. And I don't know if the XP OEM license on the new machine will allow you to downgrade to a previous version.

Both PC's should have network cards - if so then a crossover cable will allow you to copy data accross.

With windows program settings are stored all over the place so you can't just copy then over. God be with the days of DOS when reinstall was just copying a folder back, and reinstalling DOS didn't affect the apps if you remembered to copy config/autoexec. Now you will have to tweak / customise / reinstall all apps again (remember ALL microsoft applications need a licence per Client and that you can't move OEM licenses between machines.,)

No you may not need to reformat unless it is falling over.. there are plenty of clean up tools in stickies to remove some junk - regclean is recommended after uninstalling junk.

You could put an add on the wanted forum for the restore CD - someone might be able to lend you one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Capt'n Midnight, on the Windows XP CD, there is a utility that will transfer all your current settings to your new PC. It's called the File and Settings transfer Wizard. This removes the need to remember email account details, customisations, etc.

It should be off the splash screen that launches when you insert your Windows XP cd (I don't have an XP CD here to give exact directions to it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

and anyone who's ever used the file and settings transfer wizard will tell you how bad it is. when i first saw it, I thought it was a godsend, but you'd get more settings transferred by just copying the documents & settings folder over (or the profiles folder in c:\winnt\ if it's an NT machine) and exporting your mail file, than you would by using the XP F&STW.

another alternative (if you don't mind paying a little for it is Desktop DNA Pro which is a professional tool to do the job effectively, that you can customise to suit your needs.

there's a review of it here at PCMAG. not used it myself, I tend to use the method at the top of my post when migrating or reinstalling windows and it's served me well up to now.

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    The old quick restore CD will not have drivers for the new PC. And I don't know if the XP OEM license on the new machine will allow you to downgrade to a previous version.

Thats not what i want to do. I want to restore the old computer(4400) with the new computers(8300) quick restore cd. I got the new comp yesterday and it doesn't appear to have a quick restore cd so i'll ring dell tomorrow. Both of them have the OS reinstallation cd but i want the the quick restore so i can have it reformat the harddrive and reinstall windows. Can the does the reinstallation cd format the drive for u or just uninstall and reinstall windows? (hopefully ye can make sense of that?)

PS i don't need any data transfer or anything cuz i have taken off everything that i want to take off before reformating.
    Both PC's should have network cards.

I'm not sure if i have one or not(on the 4400) the 8300 has 10/100 ethernet

heres too pics of the back of my comp maybe ye can tell from these?

back-of-comp.jpgbackofcomp2.jpg

No you may not need to reformat unless it is falling over.. there are plenty of clean up tools in stickies to remove some junk - regclean is recommended after uninstalling junk.

I have all of these tools and regularly clean and defrag but its still slow so i just need to restore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by suppafly
    Both of them have the OS reinstallation cd but i want the the quick restore so i can have it reformat the harddrive and reinstall windows. Can the does the reinstallation cd format the drive for u or just uninstall and reinstall windows? (hopefully ye can make sense of that?)
    windows xp is a doddle to install tbh, just boot from the xp cd, format the hd & install.
    you only have to make a couple of choices along the way.
    then just grab all of the required drivers from the dell website.

not as handy as a quick restore cd, shouldn't take much more than 90 minutes though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by suppafly
    Thats not what i want to do. I want to restore the old computer(4400) with the new computers(8300) quick restore cd.

Not sure about whether it wipes your old drive or not.
    I am sure that if the restore CD's come with different versions of windows you would be breaking the terms of the licence by doing it. If they are the same OS then the newer CD might have drivers for the older machine - best thing to do is go in to device manager and write down all the names - much easier than opening up the case and trying to figure out which cards you have.

I'm not sure if i have one or not(on the 4400) the 8300 has 10/100 ethernet

heres too pics of the back of my comp maybe ye can tell from these?
    Sorry - It's a modem with a socket each for line and phone.

Marx computers do cheap Network cards and also a UBS link thingy to transfer data for about €30

aight thanks. i'll try all that and see how i get on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement