Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor man's ISDN.

Options
  • 03-08-2000 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

I think my dad has done a very foolish thing and ordered a 2nd phone line for the house instead of just getting an ISDN line.

If I can't talk him into seeing reason and going ISDN then is it posible to connect to the net useing both anologe lines?

If so will it lower my ping by much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Andy,

Ive actually tried and tested this. With win98, you can run two modems at the same time over two phone lines.

This will combine your bandwidth. It does lower your ping slightly. It does give you better/faster downloads. It does cost you more becuase of the 2nd phone call.

Heres the real kicker, it gives you more packet loss. Which from a gamers pov, not a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

Being on both lines make's no ping diffrance
    it's only faster for d/ling stuff.
    we'll thats for standard isdn, might be diff
    with 2 standard phone lines tho.

Narf!
    Clan(Kick yo ass) Acid

Clan Bio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

It makes no difference because it still gives you analogue latency.
    Bigger download speeds, you can use a slightly higher rate ingame but all in all it's crap.

Tell your dad 2 analgoue lines = £24 line rental p.m and that for an extra £11 per month you could have a 2Xdigital lines. You can use a phone/fax/modem + isdn internet at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Thats the plan, hopefully he will see reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Andy, just pay the £99 and upgrade it to high speed, you know, out of your own pocket. smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭BugBlaster

you could upgrade one fo the new lines to ISDN for yourself. ???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Just agree to pay the £11 a month extra (as I believe m1ke was suggesting) that ISDN costs over 2 analogue lines (2 analogue = 24 or so monthly, ISDN = 35). The migration costs the same (£99) as installation of a 2nd analogue line, so the only way ISDN is dearer is the monthly extra £10 (disregarding the fact that you can't use ISDN with snl - keep your modem for use with snl for general net stuff, irc, etc).

Then you'll be nice and happy with 50-ping, rock-solid vishnu/games1 connects like me smile.gif
    What? Napster? Never touch the stuff tongue.gif

Put 'em in your mouth and suck 'em
    Clan Acid

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

But then PS will have an LPB. NO THANK YOU!

Advertisement